GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 12 Nov 2019, 19:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
e-GMAT Representative
P
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jun 2017, 11:50
dabhishek87 wrote:
I was stuck between A and E. Chose E (wrong).
Can some one please explain why AS is wrong in E so I do not make similar mistake.
I thought "that" is refererring to complete clause " courage in the face of physical threats and verbal attacks".

Hello dabhishek87,

I would be glad to help you resolve your doubt. :-)

Use of as is very specific on GMAT SC.

When as is used to present a comparison, then it must be followed by a clause. However, as is followed by a noun when it is used to present function or role of an entity.

For example:

1. The nurse takes care of me as a mother does. --> Comparison between nurse and mother

2. Tia joined St. Vincent's hospital as a nurse. --> Tia in the role of nurse OR Tia = nurse.

Now let's come back to the official sentence: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face of physical threats and verbal attacks was not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama.

The context of this sentence makes it absolutely clear that the sentence intends to present comparison between the courage of Jackie Robinson (JR) and the courage of Rosa parks.

Now let's evaluate the usage of as in Choice E: as that of Rosa Parks, who refused

In this choice, as has been followed by a noun entity that of Rosa Parks. This means that as in this choice presents role/function of JR's courage. This is definitely neither logical nor the meaning that the original sentence intends to convey. Hence, use of as in Choice E is incorrect.

Now you may ask that cannot we assume that was after Rosa Parks in Choice E is understood as was has already been used as the verb for the subject his courage?

The answer to this question is straight no because when presenting comparison using as, we cannot keep just the verb understood after the subject in the clause following as. It will then be difficult in certain cases to determine if the sentence intends to present comparison or function.

Various usages of As and Like has been covered in great details in our Sentence Correction course. The concepts are replete with pertinent examples.

The pronoun that in Choices A and E stand for the noun courage because courage of JR can be compared to that (courage) of Rosa Parks.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2017, 11:24
While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face of physical threats and verbal attacks was not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused to move to the back of a bus in Montgomery, Alabama.

(A) not unlike that of Rosa Parks, who refused -Correct
(B) not unlike Rosa Parks, who refused - Incorrect comparison (courage .... Rosa)
(C) like Rosa Parks and her refusal - and is wrongly used
(D) like that of Rosa Parks for refusing -for refusing is wrongly used
(E) as that of Rosa Parks, who refused -as should be replaced with like
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2018, 06:59
joshnsit wrote:
daagh wrote:
If there is a choice between a weird clause using ‘not unlike’ but without any other flaws and another one with 'like' but with other ostensible errors, then the ‘not unlike’ version is acceptable.

Of course, if the comparison marker ‘like’ were to replace ‘not unlike’, then the replacement would certainly be for better.

I found a beautiful explanation for usage of "not unlike". It explains where "not unlike" could overpower normal and precise "like".
Check for the comments given by sunnyjohn

Hey Guys,

there is a good concept here, if you see Option A
unlike : not like
so it means : was not not like...
that really confused me, but there is no other option here which matches the answer.

Here is some information i found on internet on the usage of 'not unlike':

It is quite common to use such a structure in English, and it's not considered a double negative. For example, we say things like "the new law is not unfair," "the car was not inexpensive," or "his comments were not unrelated."

We usually do this, as I explain in class (almost everybody asks the same question about this SC), when we want a little "wiggle room," i.e., some room for error in our sentence. Think of an adjective as having three degrees of quality, rather than only two. Things are not often "like" or "unlike;" they often fall in the middle--not quite "like," but not quite "unlike," either.
Let's take the above example of a car--if I told somebody I'd just bought, say, a new Honda Accord, some people (who can afford BMW's or Mercedes') might say that that car is an inexpensive one. I might respond that, to me, it's "not an inexpensive car."

In this case, I'm saying that the Accord falls into the middle area, between expensive and cheap.

1. Isn't not unlike in the OA a double negative?

2.Also, in the below

"the new law is not unfair," -- does this mean the new law is fair(polar opposite) or does this mean that the new law is anything but unfair(a kind of logical opposite) ?

"the car was not inexpensive," -- this is explained in BTG quote as highlighted above

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , mikemcgarry , egmat , RonPurewal , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert , ccooley , ChiranjeevSingh, GMATGuruNY , VeritasKarishma , daagh ,other experts-- please enlighten
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 26 Aug 2018, 21:49
GMATNinja wrote:
Skywalker18 wrote:

1. Isn't not unlike in the OA a double negative?

2.Also, in the below

"the new law is not unfair," -- does this mean the new law is fair(polar opposite) or does this mean that the new law is anything but unfair(a kind of logical opposite) ?

"the car was not inexpensive," -- this is explained in BTG quote as highlighted above

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , mikemcgarry , egmat , RonPurewal , DmitryFarber , MagooshExpert , ccooley , ChiranjeevSingh, GMATGuruNY , VeritasKarishma , daagh ,other experts-- please enlighten

From a practical standpoint, I'm not sure that any of this is worth much of your brainpower, but... well, I'm married to a former attorney, and we had a long conversation once about double negatives when we were driving across the United States. So I guess I'm qualified to respond to this?

(Related: the United States is really, really large. Try driving across the whole thing with an attorney, and you'll end up talking about weird s#!t, too. :idontknow:)

Anyway...

• "The new president is not unintelligent." --> Sure, it's a double-negative, but it's not quite the same as saying the precise opposite. If the president is "not unintelligent", there are actually two possibilities: he could actually be intelligent, or he could be in some grey zone between "intelligent" and "unintelligent." In other words: "not unintelligent" does not necessarily mean "intelligent."
  • "Chipotle burritos are not unhealthy." --> Again, the double-negative does not necessarily mean the exact opposite. The burritos could actually be healthy, or they could be in some grey zone that is neither "healthy" nor "unhealthy."

Personally, I'm not a fan of double-negatives, because they confuse the reader. Unless you're an attorney, please avoid using them.

But technically speaking, they do exist for a reason. (Double-negatives, I mean. I'm still trying to figure out why attorneys exist.) If you're trying to say that a certain item definitely isn't cheap, but it might not explicitly be expensive either, then it's reasonable to say that it's "not inexpensive." There might be better ways to explain what you mean in that case, but the structure has its own meaning, and it definitely isn't the same as the polar opposite of "inexpensive."

I hope this helps!

GMATNinja - I thought that life as an attorney is awesome, but my perception is based on an American legal drama television series - Suits. :-D
V
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2018, 05:55
GMATNinja, I am not an attorney yet, so I will defer to my brilliant colleague. But I am amazed how many people reference suits!

My CR Guide: Here

My RC Guide: Here

Need an expert to grade your AWA? Go: Here

Want to be a moderator? We may want you to be one! See how: Here
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 May 2019, 22:31
why is "for refusing" in option D incorrect?
CEO
CEO
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2019, 04:31
rnn wrote:
why is "for refusing" in option D incorrect?
That option looks like this:

X was like Y for refusing to move...

There are two major problems here. Firstly, for refusing now seems to refer to X (not Y). Also, in this particular question, X is not a person (instead, X is "his courage").

His courage was like someone else's courage for refusing to move...

This makes it sound as if his courage refused to move. Moreover, the refusing to move bit needs to connect to Rosa Parks, not Jackie Robinson (meaning call).
Re: While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face   [#permalink] 25 May 2019, 04:31

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

While Jackie Robinson was a Brooklyn Dodger, his courage in the face

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics