It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 15:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While royal governor of New Jersey

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Status: You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come
Joined: 09 Nov 2012
Posts: 319

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 159

Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
While royal governor of New Jersey [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 06:06
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

47% (01:20) correct 53% (01:06) wrong based on 170 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

While royal governor of New Jersey, William Franklin’s conviction that the colonies should remain part of England was not unlike that of his father Benjamin Franklin, who initially preferred a continued association with England, though he eventually played a role in forging America's independence, helping craft the Declaration of Independence after a change of heart

A. not unlike that of his father Benjamin Franklin, who initially preferred
B. not unlike his father Benjamin Franklin, who initially preferred
C. like his father Benjamin Franklin, and his initial preference
D. like that of his father Benjamin Franklin, for preferring
E. as that of his father Benjamin Franklin, who initially preferred
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come.

Give Kudos if you like my post


Last edited by broall on 27 Aug 2017, 07:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reformatted question

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 159

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Status: You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come
Joined: 09 Nov 2012
Posts: 319

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 159

Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: While royal governor of New Jersey [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 06:06
While royal governor of New Jersey, William Franklin’s conviction that the colonies
should remain part of England was not unlike that of his father Benjamin Franklin,
who initially preferred a continued association with England, though he eventually
played a role in forging America's independence, helping craft the Declaration of
Independence after a change of heart
A. not unlike that of his father Benjamin Franklin, who initially preferred
B. not unlike his father Benjamin Franklin, who initially preferred
C. like his father Benjamin Franklin, and his initial preference
D. like that of his father Benjamin Franklin, for preferring
E. as that of his father Benjamin Franklin, who initially preferred
_________________

You have to have the darkness for the dawn to come.

Give Kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 159

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 30 Jan 2017
Posts: 84

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 45

Location: India
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.9
CAT Tests
Re: While royal governor of New Jersey [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 07:28
Meaning Analysis:
William had a belief different from his father Benjamin regarding the association of colonies with England. However, after a change of heart William played a role in forging America's Independence and helped in crafting the Declaration of Independence.

Error Analysis:
Choice A says that William's opinion was NOT UNLIKE that of his father. Note the double negation here. NOT UNLIKE means NOT different (or similar to). Do we want to convey that William's opinion was similar to that of his father ? I don't think so because the sentence eventually talks about a change of heart !!

Choice analysis:

Option A: Changes the meaning of the sentence by using NOT UNLIKE.
Option B: Again changes the meaning by using NOT UNLIKE
Option C: This choice compares William's conviction with his father !! Hence, Incorrect. Note the use of a co-coordinating conjunction (AND), which again changes the meaning of the sentence. The choice now says that William preferred a continued association with England. This is clearly not what the original sentence wants to say. If this was the case, Father William would have been so happy !!
Option D: Now you have an additional THAT. This makes the comparison correct. However, the part 'for preferring' makes the answer choice incorrect The whole event is in the past and therefore we must use simple past (preferred)
Option E: 'AS' can also be used for comparisons. This option correctly uses the word THAT in order to make the comparison correct (William's conviction with Benjamin's conviction). This option also uses the correct tense ('preferred').

Hence, Option E should be the best choice.

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 45

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 30 Jan 2017
Posts: 84

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 45

Location: India
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.9
CAT Tests
Re: While royal governor of New Jersey [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 19:10
fmik7894 wrote:
Meaning Analysis:
William had a belief different from his father Benjamin regarding the association of colonies with England. However, after a change of heart William played a role in forging America's Independence and helped in crafting the Declaration of Independence.

Error Analysis:
Choice A says that William's opinion was NOT UNLIKE that of his father. Note the double negation here. NOT UNLIKE means NOT different (or similar to). Do we want to convey that William's opinion was similar to that of his father ? I don't think so because the sentence eventually talks about a change of heart !!

Choice analysis:

Option A: Changes the meaning of the sentence by using NOT UNLIKE.
Option B: Again changes the meaning by using NOT UNLIKE
Option C: This choice compares William's conviction with his father !! Hence, Incorrect. Note the use of a co-coordinating conjunction (AND), which again changes the meaning of the sentence. The choice now says that William preferred a continued association with England. This is clearly not what the original sentence wants to say. If this was the case, Father William would have been so happy !!
Option D: Now you have an additional THAT. This makes the comparison correct. However, the part 'for preferring' makes the answer choice incorrect The whole event is in the past and therefore we must use simple past (preferred)
Option E: 'AS' can also be used for comparisons. This option correctly uses the word THAT in order to make the comparison correct (William's conviction with Benjamin's conviction). This option also uses the correct tense ('preferred').

Hence, Option E should be the best choice.





Experts, can you please point out my mistake ?

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 45

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 30 Jan 2017
Posts: 84

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 45

Location: India
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.9
CAT Tests
Re: While royal governor of New Jersey [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 19:11
Hi. I have written a detailed explanation of my reasoning. Could you please point out my mistake ?

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 45

Director
Director
avatar
S
Joined: 21 Mar 2016
Posts: 542

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 98

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: While royal governor of New Jersey [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 03:53
does "not unlike" equals to "like"???
can any experts pitch in please

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 98

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 02 Aug 2015
Posts: 71

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 22

Re: While royal governor of New Jersey [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 05:40
fmik7894 wrote:
Hi. I have written a detailed explanation of my reasoning. Could you please point out my mistake ?


Hey mate, though I'm no expert, let me give my few cents.

'As' is used to compare verbs. Here the comparison is between the conviction(noun) of X and that of Y. So 'like/unlike that of' is preferred here.

A. not unlike that of his father Benjamin Franklin, who initially preferred - Seems correct as I couldn't find any fault here.
B. not unlike his father Benjamin Franklin, who initially preferred - Improper comparison. Franklin's conviction is compared with Benjamin. - Wrong
C. like his father Benjamin Franklin, and his initial preference - Improper comparison. Same as B. - Wrong
D. like that of his father Benjamin Franklin, for preferring - Correct comparison. For preferring xxx - Wrong
E. as that of his father Benjamin Franklin, who initially preferred - As cannot be used to compare nouns. - Wrong

May I know the source of the question please?

Cheers!

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 30 Jan 2017
Posts: 84

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 45

Location: India
Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.9
CAT Tests
Re: While royal governor of New Jersey [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 22:07
Diwakar003 wrote:
fmik7894 wrote:
Hi. I have written a detailed explanation of my reasoning. Could you please point out my mistake ?


Hey mate, though I'm no expert, let me give my few cents.

'As' is used to compare verbs. Here the comparison is between the conviction(noun) of X and that of Y. So 'like/unlike that of' is preferred here.

A. not unlike that of his father Benjamin Franklin, who initially preferred - Seems correct as I couldn't find any fault here.
B. not unlike his father Benjamin Franklin, who initially preferred - Improper comparison. Franklin's conviction is compared with Benjamin. - Wrong
C. like his father Benjamin Franklin, and his initial preference - Improper comparison. Same as B. - Wrong
D. like that of his father Benjamin Franklin, for preferring - Correct comparison. For preferring xxx - Wrong
E. as that of his father Benjamin Franklin, who initially preferred - As cannot be used to compare nouns. - Wrong

May I know the source of the question please?

Cheers!


Hey Diwakar003,

While I agree that 'As' must be followed by a clause in case of comparisons, Option A changes the intended meaning of the sentence by using NOT UNLIKE. As I have explained, if the opinions of both the father and son are similar, then why does the sentence mention a 'change of heart' at the end ?

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 45

Manager
Manager
avatar
S
Joined: 02 Aug 2015
Posts: 71

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 22

Re: While royal governor of New Jersey [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 23:01
fmik7894 wrote:

Hey Diwakar003,

While I agree that 'As' must be followed by a clause in case of comparisons, Option A changes the intended meaning of the sentence by using NOT UNLIKE. As I have explained, if the opinions of both the father and son are similar, then why does the sentence mention a 'change of heart' at the end ?


Hey mate,

I agree and I too have the same doubts on the meaning of the question. Looks like Benjamin had two convictions: for association with England and for Independence of America after change of his mind, whereas the question compares only one conviction of William with Benjamin's.

The only reason I choose A is because it's grammatically correct, though sounds a bit weird, and other options are grammatically wrong. Hope I haven't misunderstood the question. Even I'm waiting for the experts to pitch in or an OE from the poster.

Cheers!

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 04 Nov 2015
Posts: 36

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: While royal governor of New Jersey [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 23:05
fmik7894 wrote:
Meaning Analysis:
William had a belief different from his father Benjamin regarding the association of colonies with England. However, after a change of heart William played a role in forging America's Independence and helped in crafting the Declaration of Independence.

Error Analysis:
Choice A says that William's opinion was NOT UNLIKE that of his father. Note the double negation here. NOT UNLIKE means NOT different (or similar to). Do we want to convey that William's opinion was similar to that of his father ? I don't think so because the sentence eventually talks about a change of heart !!

Choice analysis:

Option A: Changes the meaning of the sentence by using NOT UNLIKE.
Option B: Again changes the meaning by using NOT UNLIKE
Option C: This choice compares William's conviction with his father !! Hence, Incorrect. Note the use of a co-coordinating conjunction (AND), which again changes the meaning of the sentence. The choice now says that William preferred a continued association with England. This is clearly not what the original sentence wants to say. If this was the case, Father William would have been so happy !!
Option D: Now you have an additional THAT. This makes the comparison correct. However, the part 'for preferring' makes the answer choice incorrect The whole event is in the past and therefore we must use simple past (preferred)
Option E: 'AS' can also be used for comparisons. This option correctly uses the word THAT in order to make the comparison correct (William's conviction with Benjamin's conviction). This option also uses the correct tense ('preferred').

Hence, Option E should be the best choice.


I agree to you option 'E' seems best for me too.
Experts can you please confirm this.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: While royal governor of New Jersey   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2017, 23:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

While royal governor of New Jersey

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.