GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 21:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

While scholars debate the significance of social and economic factors

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
While scholars debate the significance of social and economic factors  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 02:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

36% (00:51) correct 64% (00:52) wrong based on 306 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

While scholars debate the significance of social and economic factors leading to the industrial revolution, there can be no doubt that technological innovations such as the spinning jenny, the power loom, smelting pig iron with coke in blast furnaces, and the steam engine played a key role.

A. smelting pig iron with coke in blast furnaces
B. the blast furnaces for smelting pig iron with coke
C. the use of blast furnaces in order to smelt pig iron with coke
D. the smelting of pig iron with coke in blast furnaces
E. pig iron being smelt in blast furnaces with coke

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Intern
Intern
Schools: MBS '18
Re: While scholars debate the significance of social and economic factors  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 03:04
reto wrote:
While scholars debate the significance of social and economic factors leading to the industrial revolution, there can be no doubt that technological innovations such as the spinning jenny, the power loom, smelting pig iron with coke in blast furnaces, and the steam engine played a key role.

A. smelting pig iron with coke in blast furnaces
B. the blast furnaces for smelting pig iron with coke
C. the use of blast furnaces in order to smelt pig iron with coke
D. the smelting of pig iron with coke in blast furnaces
E. pig iron being smelt in blast furnaces with coke

The sentence says about 3 facts which are should be ||.
The power loom, The blast furnaces...,and the steam engine.. clearly B) stands out.
IMO it should be B
Director
Director
Re: While scholars debate the significance of social and economic factors  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 03:04
B seems best: the blast furnaces for smelting pig iron with coke

reasoning: the list seems most PARALLEL with option B :the spinning jenny, the power loom,the blast furnaces for smelting pig iron with coke , and the steam engine played a key role.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 03:54
I fully endorse Pictureperfect and aditya; The innovations included four types of machinery that increased productivity, namely a spinning jenny that could increase yarn production hundred times more, a power loom that produced thousands of yards of fabric compared to the paltry quantity by the hand weaving, a blast furnace that smelt thousands of tons of ore to produce metal and finally a steam engine that propelled huge engines such as trains and ships.

I am particularly critical of the choice C, which mixes up a process in the midst of other machinery in the name of noun parallelism, which is indeed an ante-parallelism in an otherwise cohesive group. After all, the true parallelism is when you describe each of them as an adjective followed by a noun: spinning jenny, power loom, blast furnace and steam engine

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Board of Directors
P
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 06:01
there can be no doubt that technological innovations such as - [ Providing Examples ]

1. the spinning jenny,
2. the power loom,
3. smelting pig iron with coke in blast furnaces, and
4. the steam engine played a key role

To maintain parallelism The is necessary in the 2nd Example

Among B , C and D only (B) fits in perfectly...

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 01:01
This is kind of a trick question. Yes, a blast furnace is an object and "the smelting" is not, but that's the point. The sentence is listing innovations. The sentence makes it clear that the smelting, not the blast furnace, is the innovation. Every single choice mentions smelting, not just the furnace itself. Notice that all of the other choices mention the device only. There's a reason this one is different!

Would the real GMAT pull this trick? Perhaps. You certainly wouldn't be expected to know that the blast furnace is actually a much earlier invention than the other four, but you might be expected to work for parallelism of concept rather than simple parallelism between similar nouns. The GMAT requires flexibility and attention to meaning!

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 02:08
As far as I know, smelting was prevalent from pre-historic times. Remember the Bronze Age and the Iron Age, when tools and other utilities that were made after smelting the ores?. So smelting was no innovation. It was smelting in blast furnaces that was the innovation, with the furnace itself having been created as recently as in early 19th century

I think, if the topic wanted to say about innovative machines or innovative processing, then the good old ordinary smelting has no chance to be included in that list. It is the blast furnace, invented a little before the Industrial revolution, that was responsible for great strides in metallurgy.

In terms of chronology, the spinning jenny, the steam engine and the power loom were all 18th century creations while the blast furnace belonged to the late 18th and early 19th century. In comparison, the industrial revolution occurred in the late 19th century and early 20th century. This info, I hope, can help us to fix what the causes of the industrial revolution’s great positive impact were.

So I feel smelting in C has no locus standi.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2015, 11:57
So, of course one shouldn't have to know any of this history to do an SC problem, but neither blast furnaces nor smelting is a recent innovation. The innovation is the whole thing: the smelting of pig iron with coke in blast furnaces. We don't need history for this--it's simply the only way the sentence makes any sense. However, if you want the history, it's here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british/vi ... nace.shtml

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 16:31
mikemcgarry GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja

Hi, I was wondering could one of you experts please explain the difference between option B and D? I was able to get down to B and D but ended up picking option B instead mainly because I assumed that the "blast furnaces" was one of the innovations instead of "the smelting of pig iron". Furthermore, I thought B was rather more concise than D. Please help! Would immensely appreciate it!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 11:43
csaluja wrote:

Hi, I was wondering could one of you experts please explain the difference between option B and D? I was able to get down to B and D but ended up picking option B instead mainly because I assumed that the "blast furnaces" was one of the innovations instead of "the smelting of pig iron". Furthermore, I thought B was rather more concise than D. Please help! Would immensely appreciate it!

I hate to say this, but I wouldn't worry about this question at all. You've heard the disclaimer before: the GMAT spends between $1500 and $3000 developing each official question, and even the very best test-prep companies just can't compete with that.

In this particular case, I actually agree with you: the other three items in the parallel list are all common nouns, not gerunds, and it makes perfect sense to me that the "blast furnaces" themselves are the innovation.

So please don't waste your time worrying about this particular question. Instead, check out this official question that has a vaguely similar parallelism issue: https://gmatclub.com/forum/qotd-geologi ... 52482.html.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | GMAT blog | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 17:29
GMATNinja wrote:
csaluja wrote:

I hate to say this, but I wouldn't worry about this question at all. You've heard the disclaimer before: the GMAT spends between $1500 and $3000 developing each official question, and even the very best test-prep companies just can't compete with that.

In this particular case, I actually agree with you: the other three items in the parallel list are all common nouns, not gerunds, and it makes perfect sense to me that the "blast furnaces" themselves are the innovation.

So please don't waste your time worrying about this particular question. Instead, check out this official question that has a vaguely similar parallelism issue: https://gmatclub.com/forum/qotd-geologi ... 52482.html.

Thank you so much for your advice GMATNinja! Greatly appreciated!
Re: While scholars debate the significance of social and economic factors &nbs [#permalink] 24 Dec 2017, 17:29

While scholars debate the significance of social and economic factors

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap