It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 07:17

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1168 [0], given: 39

Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2011, 10:08
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Kudos [?]: 1168 [0], given: 39

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jun 2012, 23:56
I) Please underline the necessary text, it took me a while to realize that the question was an SC...

II) Reg. the question,

A)After while,you need to employ a main verb otherwise it would seem like a run-on-Incorrect.
B)Same as A-Incorrect.
C)'Reduction for'-Not effective, and preferably 'reduction' and 'call' be in parallel-Incorrect.
D)Again parallelism issue-'suggest reduction' and 'others by calling'-Not working.
E)suggest reducing-one part, others are calling-has a good main verb, parallel and meaningful-Correct.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 289 [0], given: 29

Concentration: Finance, Finance
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2012, 00:05
suggest and call are in parallelism in c , as they both are verbs , why is Option c incorrect

Option e says still others are calling , which is present continous and breaks the parallelism

Kudos [?]: 289 [0], given: 29

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 365 [0], given: 75

GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2012, 03:30
Parallel structure:-

Some propose... to combat...by attempting
others...suggest...reducing

(preposition may vary )

+1 for (E)

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2012, 03:46
Ankit04041987 wrote:
suggest and call are in parallelism in c , as they both are verbs , why is Option c incorrect

Option e says still others are calling , which is present continous and breaks the parallelism

Break the sentence into three parts,and fix the parallel structure,

combat...suggest
attempting...reducing

" Make more efforts "

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2012, 05:07
e - seems the best option. you can essentially cut it down between d and e within 20 secs

I think the "reduction" is used incorrectly here.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2012, 07:41
Ankit04041987 wrote:
Still not clear on this problem

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people’s attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
INCORRECT: "some propose" is not parallel with "others by suggesting." There should be parallel structure "some propose" and "others suggest."

(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call
INCORRECT: Same reasoning as answer choice (A)

(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call
INCORRECT: "for decreasing" is not proper idiomatic structure. You don't say "I'll reduce prices for decreasing the pirating." You would say "I'll reduce priced to decrease the pirating."

(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
INCORRECT: The "suggest" part of the sentence is parallel, but there is another part that needs to be parallel as well. From earlier in the sentence "attempting" should be parallel to "reducing"

(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling
CORRECT

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 3

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2012, 08:52
It appears to me that the option E is also not parallel.

Some propose to combat by attempting, others suggest reducing price and still others are calling for xyz.

WHat is the source for this question? I have seen it before.

Thanks
Sumeet
http://www.midasreturns.wordpress.com

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 3

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2012, 09:00
pavanpuneet wrote:
how is calling parallel with the suggest? I am a little lost here? What am I missing?

Re-read;

"....some propose---others suggest...."

".....copying-----reducing......"

hope this helps !

" Make more efforts "

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 18057 [0], given: 1990

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2012, 00:49
empty_spaces wrote:
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call
C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call
D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

pls explain.

thanks.

E is perfect actually. It maintains clear present tense parallelism by propose/suggest/are calling.
I would rather be more comfortable if it used "call" instead of "are calling" but then not everything is according to my wish.

C is wrong becase "for verbING"- this form is ALWAYS inferior to "to VERB" when you want to denote intent/action.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 18057 [0], given: 1990

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 9488 [1], given: 1203

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2013, 09:52
This post received
KUDOS
12bhang wrote:
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change
people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the
incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

Though E is the correct answer, are all the elements really parallel?
"Some propose" is parallel to "others suggest". But, is "are calling " parallel to the other two. Should it not be call instead of calling?
Also, don't "attempting to change", "reducing software piracy" and "prosecution need to be parallel."
In choice E reducing software orices and attempting to change are verb forms but prosecution is an action noun.

A B C are not parallel at all

D is parallel until the end where we have by calling

E instead
Quote:
uses constructions that are parallel to some propose', others suggest. . . , and
still others are calling uses constructions that are parallel to some propose', others suggest. . . , and
still others are calling

regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9488 [1], given: 1203

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1073 [2], given: 136

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2013, 07:45
This post received
KUDOS
12bhang wrote:
Though E is the correct answer, are all the elements really parallel?
"Some propose" is parallel to "others suggest". But, is "are calling " parallel to the other two. Should it not be call instead of calling?

IMHO, We should not learn parallelism completely on the rules that are provided in the books. i.e ing should be parallel to ing form only. Instead, there are many other aspects associated with it. Such as, Active Voice is perfectly parallel with the Passive Voice as long as the sentence demands it. Refer OG 13 # 37.

Now, the issue here is - are calling - is describing the ongoing demand of one set of people i.e those who are demanding prosecution.

Had the sentence been - call for. It would have changed the meaning drastically i.e Probable meaning would have be that there are 3 sets of people one who always propose..... second who always suggest.... and third who always call for.... you should use simple present tense when you need to describe fact.

Hence, as long as these are all working as Verbs, sentence is perfectly parallel.

The sun rises in the East - Fact.
Jimmy plays with Tina - describes, he always plays with Tina and with no one else. i.e at any point of time, if you catch hold of Jimmy playing, you will see him playing with Tina
Jimmy is playing with Tina - means - It is the ongoing action.. i.e if you happen to see Jimmy now, he will be playing with Tina, you don't know about future with whom he would be playing

12bhang wrote:
Also, don't "attempting to change", "reducing software piracy" and "prosecution need to be parallel."
In choice E reducing software orices and attempting to change are verb forms but prosecution is an action noun.

From grammar point of view, I believe they are already parallel

attempting to change -> Gerund - Works as noun
Attempting to change the politics is Mr Narendra Modi's election manifesto.

reducing software piracy -> Gerund -> works as noun

Reducing software piracy will bring enormous revenue to Google.

Prosecution - Noun (No need for example, I believe)

So, all are noun forms. Hence Parallel.

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Kudos [?]: 1073 [2], given: 136

7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 191 [7], given: 14

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2013, 07:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

Thanks and Regards,
Charu Kapoor

Never Never Never GIVE UP !!
Consider KUDOS in case I was able to help you.

Kudos [?]: 191 [7], given: 14

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 43 [1], given: 18

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2013, 21:24
This post received
KUDOS
CharuKapoor wrote:

Another great question CharuKapoor! +1 again!

by suggesting in A & B doesn't work, so we immediately go to C,D,E.

for decreasing doesn't match with suggest, so we can eliminate C.

and still others by calling doesn't match with suggest and decrease, eliminate D

E is the answer and the only one left - suggest and to decrease are in parallel. and still others ARE calling, the verb phrase "are calling" here makes this a new independent thought that doesn't have to go back to the previous portion to match the parallelism. (I could be wrong about that last part though, it made sense in my brain. Don't judge me! :) )

Kudos [?]: 43 [1], given: 18

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 191 [1], given: 14

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management

Show Tags

New post 23 Apr 2013, 05:33
This post received
KUDOS
Very well explained WpackAlumDukeBound

Whilesome proposeto combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggestingreducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by callingfor the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

These 3 things need to be parallel here.

Some Propose - others suggest - and still others call (or 'are calling' which is also in present tense)
So immediately eliminate A and B - for 'by suggesting'

Now there's another element here -

in C and D - I found 'the reduction of software prices' Vs ' reducing software prices ' in E.
D can also be eliminated for 'by calling'

So finally in E - I got a paralllelstructure - propose | suggest | are calling (Which is same as call - both in present tense)
and I got 'reducing software prices' instead of 'the reduction of software prices'.

This is purely my reasoning. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks and Regards,
Charu Kapoor

Never Never Never GIVE UP !!
Consider KUDOS in case I was able to help you.

Kudos [?]: 191 [1], given: 14

VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line

Kudos [?]: 671 [0], given: 70

GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2013, 21:10
CharuKapoor wrote:

All words marked in red are parallel and propose anticipates suggest not suggesting.
Some propose to do something, other must suggest (requires parallel structure to attempting)

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!

Archit

Kudos [?]: 671 [0], given: 70

HEC Thread Master
B

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 24

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2013, 12:09
dave785 wrote:
Tough question... I picked B but I can see why E is best in hindsight

I think the parallelism here is between attempting, reducing and calling. But what about the parallelism between propose, suggest and *blank* ? I though with call, we can draw parallelism between propose, suggest and call and hence picked C. But then again, I aint sure if 'call for' idiomatic. However, if we pick 'calling for' we will mistakenly make attempting, reducing and calling parallel. Right?

7 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 230 [7], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2013, 15:09
This post received
KUDOS
nikhil.jones.s wrote:
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes towards pirating, others by suggesting reducing software process to decrease the incentive for pirating, still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

A) by suggesting reducing software process to decrease the incentive for pirating, still others by calling
B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call
C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call
D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

I was sure of the answer by reading the last clause if the underlined part.

While some propose ....by suggesting, others by suggesting....., and still others by calling.....

This core doesn't look correct. It should be :

While some propose ....by suggesting, others suggest......

A and B are gone for this reason.

Now C is out because for decreasing is un-idiomatic. to decrease is correct.

Between D and E. I look at the core sentence again :

D) While some propose ....by suggesting, others suggest....., and still others by calling.....

E) While some propose ....by suggesting, others suggest....., and still others are calling.....

E maintains proper parallelism:
While some propose : noun + verb.
others suggest:noun + verb.
others are calling:noun + verb.

hence E.

Kudos [?]: 230 [7], given: 12

HEC Thread Master
B

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2013, 21:33
Brilliant answer Blulagoon, So in a general sense can we say that in terms of error precedence, meaning > idiomatic error > style error? Because a lot of times I land at at an impasse where there are 2 options, one having an idiomatic error and another having a style error. Moreover, i would like to know which one should we prefer amongst options A and B, if option A corrects a verb tense error (specifically, pertaining to the 'if...then...' rules) but is idiomatically incorrect (is that even possible?) and B corrects the idiomatic error but distorts the mood of the sentence. This doubt stems from the confusion that whether 'if...then...' rules are a part of style or grammar?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2013, 00:47
nikhil.jones.s wrote:
Brilliant answer Blulagoon, So in a general sense can we say that in terms of error precedence, meaning > idiomatic error > style error? Because a lot of times I land at at an impasse where there are 2 options, one having an idiomatic error and another having a style error. Moreover, i would like to know which one should we prefer amongst options A and B, if option A corrects a verb tense error (specifically, pertaining to the 'if...then...' rules) but is idiomatically incorrect (is that even possible?) and B corrects the idiomatic error but distorts the mood of the sentence. This doubt stems from the confusion that whether 'if...then...' rules are a part of style or grammar?

in general I think the best way is to look for the meaning of the sentence. GMAT has evolved and majority of the questions are meaning based. Now meaning can be distorted commonly by modifiers, or incorrect comparison. So look out for those type of errors. after meaning look for grammar error. that's the source of other type of errors.In general over the years idiom errors are becoming less and less popular. I am not sure that you will have two options one with the correct tense and one with the correct idiom. generally a sentence will have multiple errors and you just have to pick the one that you can notice quickly and move on.

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 12

Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2013, 00:47

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 80 posts ] 

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap