It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 06:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 45

GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Reviews Badge
Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2014, 08:37
In the this parallel question. the list of three verbs should all be in the present tense. You should not look at "calling" isolated, but all altogether with "are calling", which is present continuous - still a verb in the present tense. You can see the three splits below:

While some
1. propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change
people's attitudes toward pirating, others

2. suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others

3. are calling
for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

pavanpuneet wrote:
how is calling parallel with the suggest? I am a little lost here? What am I missing?

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 45

4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8199 [4], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2014, 09:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling : In this complex sentence , the main clause is missing; Hence this is a fragment

(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call : same as A

(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call : reduction of software is less dynamic than reducing software prices; more importantly for decreasing is never acceptable for GMAT

(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling: Two problems 1. the reduction of and 2. suggest and by calling is no good parallelism

(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling : Good enough in the face of other faulty ones. Of course are 'are calling' doesn't look so elegantly parallel with' suggest'.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8199 [4], given: 364

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 16

GRE 1: 1250 Q780 V540
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2014, 16:36
"Suggesting" isn't right... "suggest doing something" looks good.. A and B are ELIMINATED..

attempting to change people's attitudes
Vs.
reducing software prices
Vs.
Calling for the prosecution

I see parallelism above, and all 3 phrases mention a method/task... E sounds correct..

If you like my post, please press Kudos+1

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 16

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 78

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 12:23
In the below OG10 question, even though I was able to identify the right answer, I had a trouble placing why the option D is incorrect? is there any preference for using verb-ing - 'reducing' - over noun - 'reduction' - OR is there a problem with 'by calling'? when exactly do we use phrases such as 'by calling'?

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people’s attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call
C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call
D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

Here is my analysis:

Rejected option A, and B due to parallelism errors, as suggest is parallel to propose. Rejected option C as 'for decreasing' does not indicate intention, and 'to decrease' is a better choice as per the context. So, finally, I am left with D & E (I in my practice went for option E as it sounded better, and was less wordy than option D, but not 100% sure)

Thanks,
Aadi

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 78

Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 848 [6], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 20:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The elimination for D is rooted in parallelism. The parallel structure you need to setup is: some propose...others suggest..., and still others are. In choice D you have the following: some propose...others suggest..., and still others by calling. You don't have a parallel verb setup with "others by calling" so you don't have a parallel setup and you can eliminate D. [Yes the lack of a verb here means this isn't a complete sentence]

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Kudos [?]: 848 [6], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 22

Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V34
GPA: 3.31
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 21:04
aadit1984 wrote:
In the below OG10 question, even though I was able to identify the right answer, I had a trouble placing why the option D is incorrect? is there any preference for using verb-ing - 'reducing' - over noun - 'reduction' - OR is there a problem with 'by calling'? when exactly do we use phrases such as 'by calling'?

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people’s attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call
C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call
D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

Here is my analysis:

Rejected option A, and B due to parallelism errors, as suggest is parallel to propose. Rejected option C as 'for decreasing' does not indicate intention, and 'to decrease' is a better choice as per the context. So, finally, I am left with D & E (I in my practice went for option E as it sounded better, and was less wordy than option D, but not 100% sure)

Thanks,
Aadi

Hi,
This is how i approached the problem.
A and B are out due to Parallelism Error in the word suggest.
Option C is wrong for many reasons namely the word "for decreasing" does not serve the intended purpose here, ",and still others call" does not complete the sentence for the continuation of "for the prosecution"
I Felt Option D was wrong because it fails in parallelism where Attempting, reducing and calling are parallel which is clearly stated in Option E.

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 22

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 323 [2], given: 13

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 22:20
This post received
KUDOS
VinoGmat2013 wrote:
Rejected option A, and B due to parallelism errors, as suggest is parallel to propose.

Actually A and B have a big grammar issue. In English, all sentences must have at least one independent clause.

A just has a dependent clause: While some....

Think about it this way. Following is clearly an incorrect sentence:

While some propose to combat corruption by punishment, by change in law and by protests.

B uses and to to connect a dependent clause (While some..) and an independent clause (still others call...). In these situations, and (a coordinating conjunction) can only connect two independent clauses.

Again, think about it this way. Following is clearly an incorrect sentence:

While some propose to combat corruption by punishment, and others want change in law.

The usage of while makes the clause dependent and so, we cannot connect this dependent to an independent clause (others want change in law) using coordinating conjunction and. One way to fix this, would be to remove while (a subordinating conjunction) to convert the first clause also into an independent clause:

Some propose to combat corruption by punishment, and others want change in law.

p.s. Our book SC Nirvana discusses the types of clauses, their application and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email, I can send you the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 323 [2], given: 13

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9306 [0], given: 342

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 23:05
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
aadit1984 wrote:

Here is my analysis:

Thanks,
Aadi

Hi Aadi,

Thank you for posting your query here. :)

While we can say that option D looks wordier in comparison to option E. However, we have a more concrete error here to reject option D. Let us look at the sentence structure of Option D and Option E to find this error:

OPTION D

• While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people’s attitudes toward pirating, (Clause I)
others suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, (Clause II)
• and still others by calling for the prosecution of those (Clause III)
o who copy software illegally. (Clause IV)

Now, as we can see there is no verb for the subject “others” in the third clause.

OPTION E

• While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people’s attitudes toward pirating, (Clause I)
others suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, (Clause II)
• and still others are calling for the prosecution of those (Clause III)

As shown above, this error has been rectified in Option E where the subject “others” has the verb “are calling”.

Hope this helps! :)
Deepak

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9306 [0], given: 342

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 74

GMAT 1: 610 Q42 V32
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2014, 00:10
egmat wrote:
aadit1984 wrote:

Here is my analysis:

Thanks,
Aadi

Hi Aadi,

Thank you for posting your query here. :)

While we can say that option D looks wordier in comparison to option E. However, we have a more concrete error here to reject option D. Let us look at the sentence structure of Option D and Option E to find this error:

OPTION D

others suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, (Clause II)
• and still others by calling for the prosecution of those (Clause III)

Now, as we can see there is no verb for the subject “others” in the third clause.

OPTION E

others suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, (Clause II)
• and still others are calling for the prosecution of those (Clause III)

As shown above, this error has been rectified in Option E where the subject “others” has the verb “are calling”.

Deepak

Hi Deepak,
Can you please enlighten me on how to decide if something is not a verb : e.g.
and still others by calling for the prosecution of those (Clause III)

'by calling' to me it seemed like a verb ...

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 74

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9306 [1], given: 342

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2014, 00:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ani781 wrote:

Hi Deepak,
Can you please enlighten me on how to decide if something is not a verb : e.g.
and still others by calling for the prosecution of those (Clause III)

'by calling' to me it seemed like a verb ...

Hi ani781,

When a verb is used in its "ing" form, it is always preceded by a helping verb such as is, am, are, was, were because the verb-ing form alone cannot act as a verb in a sentence. If there is a verb-ing form alone used in the sentence, it can be a modifier or a noun. To learn more about the functions of verb-ing forms please refer to the following article:

various-functions-of-verb-ing-words-158049.html

Deepak

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9306 [1], given: 342

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2015, 05:06
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 271 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2015, 06:31
mbaMission wrote:
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

It has to be option E.

A) other is the subject of the clause starting after comma. But there is no verb that refers to this subject. Fragment error.
B) same reason as of option A. Fragment error.
D) the clause after and has subject that is other, but again there is no verb that refers to this subject. Fragment error.

Now between C and E one way of rejecting is by understanding whether 'decrease the incentive for pirating' is the purpose/intention of someone. Yes, they have given there suggestion for the purpose - decrease the incentive for pirating. When something is done with purpose then 'to verb' is prefer to 'for verb-ing'.
Hence option C is wrong.
For detail go through e-gmat course. They have explained nicely not only this topic but also other topics.

Thanks & Regards,
Vikash Alex
(Do like the below link on FB and join us in contributing towards education to under-privilege children.)
https://www.facebook.com/svect

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 12

Current Student
B

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 3385

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2016, 17:04
daagh wrote:

(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling : In this complex sentence , the main clause is missing; Hence this is a fragment

(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call : same as A

(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call : reduction of software is less dynamic than reducing software prices; more importantly for decreasing is never acceptable for GMAT

(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling: Two problems 1. the reduction of and 2. suggest and by calling is no good parallelism

(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling : Good enough in the face of other faulty ones. Of course are 'are calling' doesn't look so elegantly parallel with' suggest'.

Hi Daagh,

Although I understand why choice E is the correct answer, while initially attempting this question I went for choice A as I thought ellipsis was in play in the sense that the verb "propose to combat.." was implicitly applied to all parts of the list and therefore the second part was an independent clause and not a fragment. Can you please explain why that cannot be the case here?

Just to clarify, to me choice A read - "While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others [propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs] by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others [propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs ] by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally."

Thanks for the help!

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 3385

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3522 [4], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 18:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Dienekes wrote:
daagh wrote:

Hi Daagh,

Although I understand why choice E is the correct answer, while initially attempting this question I went for choice A as I thought ellipsis was in play in the sense that the verb "propose to combat.." was implicitly applied to all parts of the list and therefore the second part was an independent clause and not a fragment. Can you please explain why that cannot be the case here?

Just to clarify, to me choice A read - "While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others [propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs] by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others [propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs ] by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally."

Thanks for the help!

Your sentence is grammatically correct, but there is a problem with what the sentence means: How do you combat illegal copying? by suggesting to reduce or by reducing?.... by reducing of course.
.....again in the last part: how would you combat illegal copying? by calling for prosecution or by prosecuting?... by prosecuting of course.

In option A (which you have elaborated in your sentence), by attempting, by suggesting and by calling are parallel whereas the parallel elements should be by attempting, by reducing and by prosecuting.

Kudos [?]: 3522 [4], given: 22

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2016, 12:49
Sentence starts with a dependant clause - while "...", so it needs an Independent clause after the comma.
Eliminate A,B

what is the purpose of reduction ? We need 'to decrease' rather than ' for decreasing' to indicate the purpose.

Also, for parallelism, we need a verb after the 'and'

For all these reasons, choice E is by far the best sentence.

While some propose X, others suggest Y, and still others Z

Z- 'are calling' is the verb.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Concentration: Strategy
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 22:52
Good question. Got it wrong :(

Check #1 - While some propose || to "others suggest"

Check #2 is the tricky part - by attempting || to "reducing"

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: MBA

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 286

Schools: Insead July'17

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 17:29
Dear experts,
I am unable to accept that following three parts are parallel in option E...
While some propose X, others suggest Y, and still others are calling for Z..

simple present, simple present and present continuous?

How can it be parallel? the third part has different tense!
Can anyone help me to understand this?

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 286

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2016, 20:41
mbaMission wrote:

(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

i missed this question. hard one

i think

other by suggesting , by calling are wrong. there is no this kind of ellipsis. a,b and d are gone
i do not know why c is wrong. for decreasing can be correct because it can modify the reduction.

help pls.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 66

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 03:15
sushma0805 wrote:
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change
people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the
incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

Well.. this is how i saw it ..
while some propose to combat .. others suggest reducing

Note : after propose <-->to combat(which is an infinitive verb) so after suggest <-->reducing (which is participle -- closest to a verb)
C and D have reduction after suggest which is a noun

I dont know if this is right .. but this is how i approached.

Cheers,
Shri
-------------------------------
GMAT is not an Exam... it is a war .. Let's Conquer !!!

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 66

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2016, 20:30
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change
people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the
incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

Why not C???

Some propose _______, some suggest _________, and some call _______________

daagh : pl help

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 342

Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2016, 20:30

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 80 posts ] 

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap