Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases https://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 27 May 2017, 11:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 449 [0], given: 6

Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2009, 08:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (02:06) correct 54% (01:22) wrong based on 247 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

But the OA is E please can any one explain in detail
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 368

Kudos [?]: 746 [6] , given: 5

Re: combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 20:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The elimination for D is rooted in parallelism. The parallel structure you need to setup is: some propose...others suggest..., and still others are. In choice D you have the following: some propose...others suggest..., and still others by calling. You don't have a parallel verb setup with "others by calling" so you don't have a parallel setup and you can eliminate D. [Yes the lack of a verb here means this isn't a complete sentence]

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 822

Kudos [?]: 6333 [4] , given: 324

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2014, 09:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling : In this complex sentence , the main clause is missing; Hence this is a fragment

(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call : same as A

(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call : reduction of software is less dynamic than reducing software prices; more importantly for decreasing is never acceptable for GMAT

(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling: Two problems 1. the reduction of and 2. suggest and by calling is no good parallelism

(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling : Good enough in the face of other faulty ones. Of course are 'are calling' doesn't look so elegantly parallel with' suggest'.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 208 [3] , given: 0

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2010, 02:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mbaMission wrote:
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling - @ INGs are wrong...
(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call not parallel
(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call --- 2 simultaneous INGs are wrong
(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling --Not parallel
(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling
--- correct

Answer E for reasons marked in red !!!

Hope this helps.

CONSIDER AWARDING KUDOS IF MY POST HELPS !!!

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 515

Kudos [?]: 2273 [3] , given: 22

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2016, 18:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Dienekes wrote:
daagh wrote:

(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling : In this complex sentence , the main clause is missing; Hence this is a fragment

(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call : same as A

(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call : reduction of software is less dynamic than reducing software prices; more importantly for decreasing is never acceptable for GMAT

(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling: Two problems 1. the reduction of and 2. suggest and by calling is no good parallelism

(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling : Good enough in the face of other faulty ones. Of course are 'are calling' doesn't look so elegantly parallel with' suggest'.

Hi Daagh,

Although I understand why choice E is the correct answer, while initially attempting this question I went for choice A as I thought ellipsis was in play in the sense that the verb "propose to combat.." was implicitly applied to all parts of the list and therefore the second part was an independent clause and not a fragment. Can you please explain why that cannot be the case here?

Just to clarify, to me choice A read - "While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others [propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs] by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others [propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs ] by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally."

Thanks for the help!

Your sentence is grammatically correct, but there is a problem with what the sentence means: How do you combat illegal copying? by suggesting to reduce or by reducing?.... by reducing of course.
.....again in the last part: how would you combat illegal copying? by calling for prosecution or by prosecuting?... by prosecuting of course.

In option A (which you have elaborated in your sentence), by attempting, by suggesting and by calling are parallel whereas the parallel elements should be by attempting, by reducing and by prosecuting.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 770 [2] , given: 136

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2013, 08:45
This post received
KUDOS
12bhang wrote:
Though E is the correct answer, are all the elements really parallel?
"Some propose" is parallel to "others suggest". But, is "are calling " parallel to the other two. Should it not be call instead of calling?

IMHO, We should not learn parallelism completely on the rules that are provided in the books. i.e ing should be parallel to ing form only. Instead, there are many other aspects associated with it. Such as, Active Voice is perfectly parallel with the Passive Voice as long as the sentence demands it. Refer OG 13 # 37.

Now, the issue here is - are calling - is describing the ongoing demand of one set of people i.e those who are demanding prosecution.

Had the sentence been - call for. It would have changed the meaning drastically i.e Probable meaning would have be that there are 3 sets of people one who always propose..... second who always suggest.... and third who always call for.... you should use simple present tense when you need to describe fact.

Hence, as long as these are all working as Verbs, sentence is perfectly parallel.

The sun rises in the East - Fact.
Jimmy plays with Tina - describes, he always plays with Tina and with no one else. i.e at any point of time, if you catch hold of Jimmy playing, you will see him playing with Tina
Jimmy is playing with Tina - means - It is the ongoing action.. i.e if you happen to see Jimmy now, he will be playing with Tina, you don't know about future with whom he would be playing

12bhang wrote:
Also, don't "attempting to change", "reducing software piracy" and "prosecution need to be parallel."
In choice E reducing software orices and attempting to change are verb forms but prosecution is an action noun.

From grammar point of view, I believe they are already parallel

attempting to change -> Gerund - Works as noun
Attempting to change the politics is Mr Narendra Modi's election manifesto.

reducing software piracy -> Gerund -> works as noun

Reducing software piracy will bring enormous revenue to Google.

Prosecution - Noun (No need for example, I believe)

So, all are noun forms. Hence Parallel.

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
B
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 243 [2] , given: 10

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 22:20
This post received
KUDOS
VinoGmat2013 wrote:
Rejected option A, and B due to parallelism errors, as suggest is parallel to propose.

Actually A and B have a big grammar issue. In English, all sentences must have at least one independent clause.

A just has a dependent clause: While some....

Think about it this way. Following is clearly an incorrect sentence:

While some propose to combat corruption by punishment, by change in law and by protests.

B uses and to to connect a dependent clause (While some..) and an independent clause (still others call...). In these situations, and (a coordinating conjunction) can only connect two independent clauses.

Again, think about it this way. Following is clearly an incorrect sentence:

While some propose to combat corruption by punishment, and others want change in law.

The usage of while makes the clause dependent and so, we cannot connect this dependent to an independent clause (others want change in law) using coordinating conjunction and. One way to fix this, would be to remove while (a subordinating conjunction) to convert the first clause also into an independent clause:

Some propose to combat corruption by punishment, and others want change in law.

p.s. Our book SC Nirvana discusses the types of clauses, their application and examples in significant detail. If you can PM you email, I can send you the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 2273 [2] , given: 22

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 10:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
MorningRunner wrote:
nahid78 wrote:
mbaMission wrote:

(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

1. Between C and E, We need to use "To" to express intention. Is there any other differences that might make the option C
wrong?
2. What is the differences between "suggest the reduction of" and "suggest reducing software prices"?

3. "Some propose..., other suggest, and other are calling" Is it absolutely alright in terms of parallelism?

I am also having same doubt you mentioned at bullet 3..
I dont know who the following structure is acceptable specially in GMAT.. :shock: :shock: :shock:
simple present, simple present and present continuous?

Can someone help?

There is no problem with different tenses in parallel. The sentence has 3 clauses in parallel - the individual tenses of the verbs need NOT be same - theoretically it is alright.

I generally go to school, but now I am going to a pub... this is absolutely correct.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 2

Show Tags

New post 10 Mar 2010, 22:20
This post received
KUDOS
this is retired Gmat test question and oa is E.
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 6333 [1] , given: 324

Show Tags

New post 11 Apr 2011, 09:33
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with Eden. Certainly this is not a topic that will stand good to common reasoning, especially the way non-natives like me have been taught to look at parallelism. The three verbs in tandem are the present tense- propose, suggest and are calling-, as found in E, although the third verb is a bit of a baffle in that it is a present progressive. But considering that the other nearest choice C, which maintains almost equal parallelism among all the three verbs under question, has serious idiomatic flaws such as ‘for decreasing’, we have to grudgingly reconcile to Choice E.
Choice A is a fragment; B and D fault on parallelism.

This is as far as I could go on this. Incidentally, was this choice ever carried over from OG 10 to OG 11 and then on to OG 12? I doubt.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: Thunderbird '15
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 175 [1] , given: 8

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2011, 06:23
This post received
KUDOS
OG 10. Q-160. OA: E. Period. (C and D are wrong)

OE:
Choice E, the best answer, uses constructions that are parallel to some propose', others suggest. . . , and
still others are calling .... Choices A and B immediately lose the parallel construction, and also produce
sentence fragments, by shifting to by suggesting ... and by calling .... Choice B starts like choice A and then
shifts back to the verb call, losing the parallel with the second part (by suggesting). Choices C and D correctly
begin the second part of the parallel by using suggest. Choice C, however, introduces the nonidiomatic for
decreasing, which creates some difficulty in meaning. Choice D loses parallel construction in the third part by
shifting to by calling.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 973 [1] , given: 39

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2011, 07:13
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
nevergiveup wrote:
15. While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.
(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling [BY suggesting and by calling]
(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call [By suggesting and lacks verb after others]
(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call [Reduction is parallel, no verb after others]
(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling [Reduction and by calling]
(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling [CORRECT]

I choose C as answer, but the OA is E. Please reply with explanation. Thanks.

This SC following some propose..others suggest..still others construction, parallelism, and passive mode.

Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

1 KUDOS received
S
Followers: 858

Kudos [?]: 7318 [1] , given: 1065

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2013, 10:52
This post received
KUDOS
12bhang wrote:
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change
people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the
incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling

Though E is the correct answer, are all the elements really parallel?
"Some propose" is parallel to "others suggest". But, is "are calling " parallel to the other two. Should it not be call instead of calling?
Also, don't "attempting to change", "reducing software piracy" and "prosecution need to be parallel."
In choice E reducing software orices and attempting to change are verb forms but prosecution is an action noun.

A B C are not parallel at all

D is parallel until the end where we have by calling

E instead
Quote:
uses constructions that are parallel to some propose', others suggest. . . , and
still others are calling uses constructions that are parallel to some propose', others suggest. . . , and
still others are calling

regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
B
Followers: 2217

Kudos [?]: 7759 [1] , given: 291

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2014, 00:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ani781 wrote:

Hi Deepak,
Can you please enlighten me on how to decide if something is not a verb : e.g.
and still others by calling for the prosecution of those (Clause III)

'by calling' to me it seemed like a verb ...

Hi ani781,

When a verb is used in its "ing" form, it is always preceded by a helping verb such as is, am, are, was, were because the verb-ing form alone cannot act as a verb in a sentence. If there is a verb-ing form alone used in the sentence, it can be a modifier or a noun. To learn more about the functions of verb-ing forms please refer to the following article:

various-functions-of-verb-ing-words-158049.html

Hope this helps! :)
Deepak

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 6333 [1] , given: 324

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2016, 10:37
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
If anyone thought that this question involved mere parallelism, then it would be wrong. The element of sentence structure goes thick and thin in this topic along with parallelism.

This sentence starts with a subordinate conjunction while, indicating that this is complex sentence involving a subordinate clause and another main clause.

1. While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating --- subordinate clause.
2. others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating,-- this is part of the subordinate clause
3. and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally. –this is also another part of the sub clause.
One may note that the main clause is missing; therefore, A is incorrect.

Now there is a need to provide a main clause for the sub - clause to complete the grammatical structure of the complex sentence. Let’s see if other choices are helpful.

B. by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call –
The sub- clause can be spliced by only a comma from the main clause in a complex sentence and not by an ‘and’. The coordinating conjunction ‘and’ makes the complex sentence lose its basic structure and the conjunction ‘while’ turns infructious. Therefore, B is also wrong.

(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call -- suggest the reduction is not parallel to attempting- It should be attempting and reducing; Hence C is unparallel.

D. suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling – attempting, reduction are unparallel. In addition what follows 'and' is not an IC but a pharse, which is ungrammatical.

Now what is left?

E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

This is a complex –compound sentence, wherein we have a complex sentence combined with another IC joined by ‘and’. The verb parallelism is limited to the two present tense verbs of the complex sentence namely propose and suggest, while the prepositional parallelism is maintained in by stating ‘attempting and reducing’. This is correct.
Of course to arrive at the correct choice is a tedious process and I deem that this as one of the toughest questions one may encounter.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 2273 [1] , given: 22

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2016, 10:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nahid78 wrote:

Thank you. Please explain this one too...

What is the differences between "suggest the reduction of" and "suggest reducing software prices"?

The suggestion is for taking up an action - a gerund is closer to a verb (i.e. an action) than a concrete noun is. Hence "suggest reducing prices " should be preferable to "suggest the reduction".
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE: Business Development (Telecommunications)
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 354 [0], given: 412

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2010, 11:34
I feel Its C. No idea how its E :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 35

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2010, 14:23
Lack of parallelism:
by attempting.....parallel with by calling
IMO: (D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 35

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2010, 14:28
can someone pls explain the OA?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 4

While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2010, 15:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Source : OG10

Last edited by hazelnut on 30 Apr 2017, 05:47, edited 2 times in total.
Added OA
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2010, 15:43

Go to page    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 77 posts ]