Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Schools:
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [0]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Schools:
Send PM
Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
nahid78 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
nahid78 wrote:

Thank you. Please explain this one too...

What is the differences between "suggest the reduction of" and "suggest reducing software prices"?

The suggestion is for taking up an action - a gerund is closer to a verb (i.e. an action) than a concrete noun is. Hence "suggest reducing prices " should be preferable to "suggest the reduction".

So here we are applying V-A-N diagram; Verb is preferable to adjective, and adjective is preferable to Noun. As (V+ing) form is closer to verb, it is also preferable to Adjective and noun.
I think now it is clear to me. Thank you :)

Not exactly, both are nouns - the VAN rule is applicable when the parts of speech are different. There are cases where a concrete noun is preferable to a gerund, and when you apply this rule (this is not though), you will be wrong.

An action is closer to gerund - since an action is meant, a gerund is preferred: this is my reasoning, not the VAN rule.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer [#permalink]
does "others are calling " in E seem bit awkward as compared to the rest of the sentence?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
warriorguy wrote:
does "others are calling " in E seem bit awkward as compared to the rest of the sentence?

Simple present would probably be better, but using present continuous is grammatically not wrong, and meaning is also alright.
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
Temurkhon wrote:
imho,

suggest can be used only in two forms: "suggest that..." OR suggest+gerund. So, A and E remains

E more parallel

No, this is not correct. The verb "suggest" CAN take a noun as object.

My professor suggested the topic... correct.

(Moreover suggest can also take an infinitive: I suggest you not to leave)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20705 [0]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

GMATNinjaTwo Could you help to explain "the reduction of" vs "reducing" & "call" vs "are calling" in answers (C) and (E)?
CR Moderator
Schools:
Send PM
Expert Reply
hazelnut wrote:
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer programs by attempting to change people's attitudes toward pirating, others by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling for the prosecution of those who copy software illegally.

(A) by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(B) by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(C) suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call
(D) suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling
(E) suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

GMATNinjaTwo Could you help to explain "the reduction of" vs "reducing" & "call" vs "are calling" in answers (C) and (E)?

"Reducing" and "Reduction":
For depicting a sense of taking some action, gerund suits better (though a concrete noun is gramatically not incorrect). Moroever "the" in option C is incorrect. The article should be "a".

"Call" and "are calling":
Both are gramatically alright in my opinion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [1]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Bookmarks

--> correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Could you help me understand why is Option E preferred to Option C.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30776 [2]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
SafalSharma wrote:

Hello SafalSharma,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

Let's take a look at Choice C:

suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call: Incorrect

i. This choice is incorrect for the usage of for decreasing. Per the context of the sentence, the purpose of reducing software prices is to decrease the incentive for pirating. Hence, the correct phrase is to decrease to show the purpose/intent.

Let's look at Choice E now:

suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling: Correct

This choice is correct for maintaining parallelism among the structures - some propose, others suggest, and others are calling. I do agree that the last verb can very well be written in simple present tense. However, this is the only grammatically as well as logically correct answer choice.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
daagh wrote:
I agree with Eden. Certainly this is not a topic that will stand good to common reasoning, especially the way non-natives like me have been taught to look at parallelism. The three verbs in tandem are the present tense- propose, suggest and are calling-, as found in E, although the third verb is a bit of a baffle in that it is a present progressive. But considering that the other nearest choice C, which maintains almost equal parallelism among all the three verbs under question, has serious idiomatic flaws such as ‘for decreasing’, we have to grudgingly reconcile to Choice E.
Choice A is a fragment; B and D fault on parallelism.

This is as far as I could go on this. Incidentally, was this choice ever carried over from OG 10 to OG 11 and then on to OG 12? I doubt.

As it is given in option C,if for decresing is wrong than for pirating should also be wrong.But that is not case.Parallel stucture is not maintained in C.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
egmat wrote:
SafalSharma wrote:

Hello SafalSharma,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

Let's take a look at Choice C:

suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call: Incorrect

i. This choice is incorrect for the usage of for decreasing. Per the context of the sentence, the purpose of reducing software prices is to decrease the incentive for pirating. Hence, the correct phrase is to decrease to show the purpose/intent.

Let's look at Choice E now:

suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling: Correct

This choice is correct for maintaining parallelism among the structures - some propose, others suggest, and others are calling. I do agree that the last verb can very well be written in simple present tense. However, this is the only grammatically as well as logically correct answer choice.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Could you please tell us why for decresing is wrong while for pirating is correct.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
This is not a genuine GMATPrep question.

This is a simulated version of an original OG 10 topic as given below.

Quote:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/while-some-propose-to-combat-widespread-illegal-copying-of-computer-151395.html

Ans E:

MGMAT's comments

A)by suggesting reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling

B)by suggesting the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others call

C)suggest the reduction of software prices for decreasing the incentive for pirating, and still others call

D)suggest the reduction of software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others by calling

E)suggest reducing software prices to decrease the incentive for pirating, and still others are calling

The parallel verbs are some PROPOSE (to combat), SUGGEST (reducing), and ARE CALLING (for X). All three verbs are in the present tense (although the third is in the present progressive, it's still considered present). If I could wave a wand, I would choose to make the third verb CALL, not ARE CALLING, but I don't have that option while retaining correct grammar in the rest of the sentence (e.g., in choice C, the expression "for decreasing" is definitely incorrect -- you must express the intended result of "reducing software prices" with an INFINITIVE such as "to decrease").

Now you can see the same logic to the given question and see whether it is ok to take E as the most parallel in the given context
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 558 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
egmat please could you let me know if my POE is correct?

Parallelism error - Here the verbs some propose, others by suggesting, and still others by calling - are not parallel

Parallelism error - as with (A)
Structure - The reduction of seems a bit off. Please could you correct me?

Infinitive needed - As per the context we know that the prices are being decreased for the purpose of reducing the incentives for pirating. Thus we need "to+verb"
The parallelism error is rectified

Parallelism error - as with (A)
Structure error - as with (B)

Parallelism error - rectified
to +verb - rectified
structure - rectified - suggest reducing software prices > suggest the reduction of software prices
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
I am baffled with this question. I am still not able to understand what is the key learning that i can take from options C and E.

I read the above explanations, but still not so clear as some mentioned : for decreasing is wrong, 2 ing together is wrong, gmat doesn't prefer this.

Please help to explain AndrewN GMATNinja .
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [4]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
mSKR wrote:
I am baffled with this question. I am still not able to understand what is the key learning that i can take from options C and E.

I read the above explanations, but still not so clear as some mentioned : for decreasing is wrong, 2 ing together is wrong, gmat doesn't prefer this.

Yes, mSKR, this is not a pretty question. I echo the thoughts of daagh in the Most Helpful Expert Reply. I suppose the takeaway is to choose the lesser of two evils. Compare (C) and (E) side by side:

Quote:

Split #1: the reduction of v. reducing
Analysis: The GMAT™ tends to favor more concise options, although the reduction of better parallels the prosecution of in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. I would not necessarily favor one answer choice over the other on this consideration alone.

Split #2: for decreasing v. to decrease
Analysis: No case can be made for the former in the context of this sentence. The shortened in order to wins, hands down, as the only idiomatic option. Split #2 goes to (E).

Split #3: call v. are calling
Analysis: The parallelism of the verbs favors the former: some propose... others suggest... and still others call. But is the present progressive actually wrong at the end of the list? No. It is certainly less parallel, but the meaning and tense are both fine. Again, I would not rely on this split alone to determine an answer.

Of the options presented, then, (E) makes a more compelling case than (C) based on a single fatal flaw in (C). If you are certain something is wrong in one answer, then choose another, even if it makes you uncomfortable. I cannot tell you how many questions I have missed in practice because I liked one part of an answer choice better than its counterpart in another, but after getting burned so many times, I started to take the other route, and that is why I teach others to get rid of answer choices only if they are sure something is wrong in them.

I wish I had a more satisfactory answer, but this is just a less-than-ideal question.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
mSKR wrote:

Yes, mSKR, this is not a pretty question. I echo the thoughts of daagh in the Most Helpful Expert Reply. I suppose the takeaway is to choose the lesser of two evils. Compare (C) and (E) side by side:

Quote:

Split #1: the reduction of v. reducing
Analysis: The GMAT™ tends to favor more concise options, although the reduction of better parallels the prosecution of in the non-underlined portion of the sentence. I would not necessarily favor one answer choice over the other on this consideration alone.

Split #2: for decreasing v. to decrease
Analysis: No case can be made for the former in the context of this sentence. The shortened in order to wins, hands down, as the only idiomatic option. Split #2 goes to (E).

Split #3: call v. are calling
Analysis: The parallelism of the verbs favors the former: some propose... others suggest... and still others call. But is the present progressive actually wrong at the end of the list? No. It is certainly less parallel, but the meaning and tense are both fine. Again, I would not rely on this split alone to determine an answer.

Of the options presented, then, (E) makes a more compelling case than (C) based on a single fatal flaw in (C). If you are certain something is wrong in one answer, then choose another, even if it makes you uncomfortable. I cannot tell you how many questions I have missed in practice because I liked one part of an answer choice better than its counterpart in another, but after getting burned so many times, I started to take the other route, and that is why I teach others to get rid of answer choices only if they are sure something is wrong in them.

I wish I had a more satisfactory answer, but this is just a less-than-ideal question.

- Andrew

Hi AndrewN

So can we conclude if we face a situation like this, when we are torn between 2 options in which one has an erroneous idiomatic usage and the other has a parallelism flaw, we should opt for the choice that has a correct idiomatic usage ? Does the GMAT considers unidiomatic usage more wrong than faulty parallelism ?
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1046 [1]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer [#permalink]
Kudos
Namangupta1997 wrote:
Hi AndrewN

So can we conclude if we face a situation like this, when we are torn between 2 options in which one has an erroneous idiomatic usage and the other has a parallelism flaw, we should opt for the choice that has a correct idiomatic usage ? Does the GMAT considers unidiomatic usage more wrong than faulty parallelism ?
I am sure Andrew will help you with this better than I can. But, I have just a suggestion to give- If stuck between two choices, try to look for the most apt meaning conveyed through that sentence. Here, in this sentence, you could choose (E) over (C) just by doing that. sayantanc2k 's answer here might help you get what I mean.
Sayantanc2k wrote:
The suggestion is for taking up an action - a gerund is closer to a verb (i.e. an action) than a concrete noun is. Hence "suggest reducing prices " should be preferable to "suggest the reduction".
GMAT Club Bot
While some propose to combat widespread illegal copying of computer [#permalink]
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts