Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [26]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [10]
Given Kudos: 130
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 878 [4]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1832 [2]
Given Kudos: 370
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: While the expression “no great shakes” originally referred to gamblers [#permalink]
Kudos
Punyata wrote:
While the expression “no great shakes” originally referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, they have come to connote broadly varying meanings; they could refer, for example, to individuals who perform tasks only unexceptionally or, just as easily, to unmemorable or ordinary experiences.
A
referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, they have come to connote broadly varying meanings; they
B
referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, it has come to connote a broad variety of meanings; it
Correct Answer
C
referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, it has connoted broadly varying meanings; it
D
have referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, it has come to connote a broad variety of meanings; it
E
have referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, they have come to connote broadly varying meanings; they

Pls. underline your question, use a proper title (it should always be first few words of the question),and indicated the source of the question by giving a appropriate TAG.Read the rules for posting in the verbal forum here
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: While the expression “no great shakes” originally referred to gamblers [#permalink]
IMO C,

Clearly there is a pronoun error that is corrected in options B, C & D...they have referring to "expression "

However, B is too wordy...has come to connote

D uses the incorrect verb...have referred

Hence, C takes the cake..

Note C uses the correct present perfect tense(has connoted) to denote that the action(of using it wrongly) still continues in the present.

Regards

Argha
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1832 [0]
Given Kudos: 370
WE:Business Development (Health Care)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
Punyata wrote:
While the expression “no great shakes” originally referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, they have come to connote broadly varying meanings; they could refer, for example, to individuals who perform tasks only unexceptionally or, just as easily, to unmemorable or ordinary experiences.

A] referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, they have come to connote broadly varying meanings; they
B] referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, it has come to connote a broad variety of meanings; it
C] referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, it has connoted broadly varying meanings; it
D] have referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, it has come to connote a broad variety of meanings; it
E]have referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, they have come to connote broadly varying meanings; they

krakgmat wrote:
Mike, Can you please respond to the SC question below. I really appreciate your help. Thanks

Dear krakgmat,
I got your p.m. and I'm happy to help. I added the tag "Debatable OA" to this thread, because someone, perhaps Punyata, marked the answer as (C), but clearly (B) is a better answer, and other websites featuring this question also say the OA is (B). Her'e's my analysis.

Split #1: the subject is "the expression", which is a singular noun. This requires a singular pronoun, "it", not "they", so choices (A) & (E) are incorrect.

Split #2: similarly, because the subject is singular, we need proper SV agreement. The construction "the expression .... referred" is perfectly correct, but the construction "the expression .... have referred" violates SV agreement. Choices (D) & (E) make this mistake and cannot be correct. Incidentally, here's a blog on SV agreement:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/subject-ve ... orrection/

This leaves us with (B) & (C). The only difference between these two is the phrasing concerning the verb "connote". Notice, the contrast here is between an earlier meaning of the expression, the meaning to which the expression "originally referred", and what it means now, past vs. present.
This is one of these very funny idiom things. The phrase "has connoted" sounds unutterably awkward, for reasons that are hard to explain. If we were going to us this in a contrast, we would say: "The expression has connoted X, but now it also connotes Y." It could be idiomatically correct in a construction in which it represents a past meaning that was still continuing ---- although, I must say, even in a sentence in which it logical seems it would be the perfectly natural choice, the words "has connoted" sounds awkward simply as a combination of words. This is the problem with (C), which can't possibly be the answer.
Meanwhile, here we are discussing a condition which originally wasn't true but, through development over time. became more and more true, so that it is perfectly true in the present moment; the correct idiom for this is "has come to mean X", and the construction "[the expression] has come to connote ..." is idiomatically correct and states the exact logical sequence of events we want to convey. This is why (B) is the best answer.

With all due respect, I believe that argha misunderstood some of the idiomatic subtlety of this question. This is a relatively rare idiom, and I suspect that the real GMAT wouldn't use it in SC at all, but here, in (C), it is used perfectly correct and with precision.
Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Thanks Mike. I am changing the OA to B.
Just to add my 2 cents there is also a slight change in meaning. The expression 'broadly varying meanings' in option C changes the intent conveyed by the sentence while ' broad variety of meanings' used in B aptly expresses it and is a better logical fit.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Send PM

A] referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, they have come to connote broadly varying meanings; they

- incorrect pronoun reference "they" which is plural for a singular noun "the expression"

B] referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, it has come to connote a broad variety of meanings; it

- CORRECT

C] referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, it has connoted broadly varying meanings; it

- "had connoted" is in past tense which is incorrect

D] have referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, it has come to connote a broad variety of meanings; it

- "the expression" is singular and cannot have plural verb "have"

E]have referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, they have come to connote broadly varying meanings; they

- "the expression" is singular and cannot have plural verb "have"

Hence, Answer is B

Did you like the answer? Hit Kudos :good
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 342 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM

A. referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, they have come to connote broadly varying meanings; they
- the singular subject ''the expression'' cannot take the plural pronoun ''they''.

B. referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, it has come to connote a broad variety of meanings; it - has no error. hence, (B) is the right answer choice.

C. referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, it has connoted broadly varying meanings; it
- here, we have a mismatch of verb tense that does not clearly indicate the origin (timeline) of events described by the verbs: ''has connoted'' is in the present perfect verb tense that highlights an event that originated at some time in the past, whereas, the verb ''referred'' is in the simple past tense. We do not have information that highlights which of these two events occurred first.

D. have referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, it has come to connote a broad variety of meanings; it
- we cannot have the present perfect tense ''have referred'' to describe an event that took place in the past.

E. have referred to gamblers who were not adept at rolling dice, they have come to connote broadly varying meanings; they
- the singular subject ''the expression'' cannot take the plural pronoun ''they''.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: While the expression no great shakes originally referred to gamblers [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: While the expression no great shakes originally referred to gamblers [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts