Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [29]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [6]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 725 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: While they remove carbon dioxide from the air, conserve soil [#permalink]
Kudos
87. While they remove carbon dioxide from the air, conserve soil and water, and house thousands of species, forests also supply potentially valuable pharmaceuticals, and, as sources of building material and firewood, that provide employment for millions worldwide.
A. pharmaceuticals, and, as sources of building material and firewood, that provide - comma twice looks awkward, 'that' changes the meaning
B. pharmaceuticals, and sources of building material and firewood, are providers of - comma after pharmaceuticals is ambiguous
C. pharmaceuticals and, as sources of building material and firewood that are provide - that are provide?
D. pharmaceuticals and as sources of building material and firewood, for providing - for providing?, also you need comma after 'and'
E. pharmaceuticals and, as sources of building material and firewood, provide - makes most sense
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3944 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Kudos
+1 E

This sentence requires parallelism for the verbs: supply and provide (both have to be working verbs).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 812 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 08-16-2012
GPA: 3.05
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
87. While they remove carbon dioxide from the air, conserve soil and water, and house thousands of species, forests also supply potentially valuable pharmaceuticals, and, as sources of building material and firewood, that provide employment for millions worldwide.

A. pharmaceuticals, and, as sources of building material and firewood, that provide
B. pharmaceuticals, and sources of building material and firewood, are providers of
C. pharmaceuticals and, as sources of building material and firewood that are provide
D. pharmaceuticals and as sources of building material and firewood, for providing
E. pharmaceuticals and, as sources of building material and firewood, provide

I think this particular problem is more related with the meaning of the sentence.

Forests supplies pharmaceuticals.
and 'as sources of building material and firewood' forests provide employment for millions worldwide.

The above combination conveys the meaning clearly.

A. pharmaceuticals, and, as sources of building material and firewood, that provide
'and' creates a fragment sentence

B. pharmaceuticals, and sources of building material and firewood, are providers of
meaning distortion

C. pharmaceuticals and, as sources of building material and firewood that are provide
meaning distortion

D. pharmaceuticals and as sources of building material and firewood, for providing
parallelism, 'for providing' meaning distortion

correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
why there should not be "that" in E option. that provide.

where and when we should use "that " normally ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [4]
Given Kudos: 108
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
manikanth wrote:
why there should not be "that" in E option. that provide.

where and when we should use "that " normally ?

Primarily there are 2 usages of that:
1. As a Noun
2. As a connector.

1. As a Noun
Chairs that don’t have cushions are uncomfortable to sit on. Note that, here 'that' refers back to chairs. Because Chairs is a plural noun, you should use verb - do + not for a plural noun = Don't (and not doesn't)

2. As a connector
Eg. I believe that he is innocent.

Let me come back to the quetion:
While they (referring to forests) remove carbon dioxide from the air, conserve soil and water, and house thousands of species,

forests also

1. supply potentially valuable pharmaceuticals and (note here there are only 2 items in the list and hence we use just AND. We do not use comma + and)
2. provide employment for millions worldwide.

Now, 2nd act of providing employment has a modifier which is introduced by way of a phrase between two commas:
, as sources of building material and firewood,

Do not mistake to refer the first comma from modifier with and preceding that comma.

Key in solving SC question is Meaning (and not the grammar)!

Cheers!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2333 [3]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Kudos
chandru42 wrote:

While they remove carbon dioxide from the air, conserve soil and water, and house thousands of species, forests also supply potentially valuable pharmaceuticals, and, as sources of building material and firewood, that provide employment for millions worldwide.
A. pharmaceuticals, and, as sources of building material and firewood, that provide --> NOT PARALLEL
B. pharmaceuticals, and sources of building material and firewood, are providers of --->NOT PARALLEL; INCORRECT MEANING
C. pharmaceuticals and, as sources of building material and firewood that are provide ---> NOT PARALLEL
D. pharmaceuticals and as sources of building material and firewood, for providing -----> NOT PARALLEL
E. pharmaceuticals and, as sources of building material and firewood, provide ----> correct

Parallelism is at play here
Clearly the correct answer is E
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
While they remove carbon dioxide from the air, conserve soil [#permalink]
Expert Reply
While they remove carbon dioxide from the air, conserve soil and water, and house thousands of species, forests also supply potentially valuable pharmaceuticals, and, as sources of building material and firewood, that provide employment for millions worldwide.

(A) pharmaceuticals, and, as sources of building material and firewood, that provide "that" incorrect modifies "building material and firewood" - it is the forests that provide employment. Eliminate.

(B) pharmaceuticals, and sources of building material and firewood, are providers of Placement of "and" implies that forests provide "sources of building material and firewood". Original meaning is that the forests are the sources themselves. Eliminate.

(C) pharmaceuticals and, as sources of building material and firewood that are providing Same error as in (A). Eliminate.

(D) pharmaceuticals and as sources of building material and firewood, for providing Let's focus on the last part of the sentence: "...forests also supply potentially valuable pharmaceuticals and as sources of building material and firewood, for providing employment for millions worldwide". Clearly an incomplete sentence fragment, not to mention the same meaning error in "source" as in (A) and (C). Eliminate.

(E) pharmaceuticals and, as sources of building material and firewood, provide Correct answer - above errors are eliminated and no new errors are introduced.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Send PM
KarishmaB and other experts

I was able to eliminate other options, but i am not sure what role does "as sources of building material and firewood" play in Option E. Please do help me. Thanks in advance!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64883 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
waytowharton wrote:
KarishmaB and other experts

I was able to eliminate other options, but i am not sure what role does "as sources of building material and firewood" play in Option E. Please do help me. Thanks in advance!

The sentence tells us that forests provide employment for millions. But how can forests provide employment? Hence, the sentence clarifies 'as sources of building material and firewood.' Since forests are sources of building material (wood) and firewood, many people are employed to chop trees and transport wood out of the forests etc. Hence, they act as sources of employment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
While they (forests) remove..., conserve..., and house...,forests also supply X and ,...., provide Y for millions worldwide.

Hence E is the correct choice.

Two concepts are tested here-
Paralleslism
non-essential modifier.

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts