Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618659 [5]
Given Kudos: 81564
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 955
GMAT 1: 540 Q42 V23
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Whittaker: There can be no such thing as the number of medical school [#permalink]
Rashed12 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Competition Mode Question

Whittaker: There can be no such thing as the number of medical school students who drop out before their second year, because if they drop out, they never have a second year.

Hudson: By your reasoning I cannot help but become rich, because there is similarly no such thing as my dying before my first million dollars is in the bank.

Hudson responds to Whittaker by

(A) showing that a relevantly analogous argument leads to an untenable conclusion

(B) citing a specific example to counter Whittaker’s general claim

(C) pointing out that Whittaker mistakes a necessary situation for a possible situation

(D) claiming that what Whittaker says cannot be true because Whittaker acts as if it were false

(E) showing that Whittaker’s argument relies on analyzing an extreme and unrepresentative case

Why is B incorrect? Kindly explain at details why B is incorrect and A is correct.

For B, you have to concentrate on the response of Hudson. He didn't try to counter Whittaker's argument. Rather, Hudson uses a similar analogy and shows an illogical conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 598
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
Re: Whittaker: There can be no such thing as the number of medical school [#permalink]
Hi experts,
Please help to explain why each choice is right or wrong. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
Re: Whittaker: There can be no such thing as the number of medical school [#permalink]
hi bunuel !
confused between A and B
and end up marking A , eager to know why B is wrong
as it state ' specific example' is this the reason ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
Whittaker: There can be no such thing as the number of medical school [#permalink]
Whittaker: There can be no such thing as the number of medical school students who drop out before their second year, because if they drop out, they never have a second year.

Signifies, if students do not drop out they shall be 2nd year.

Hudson: By your reasoning I cannot help but become rich, because there is similarly no such thing as my dying before my first million dollars is in the bank.

Means, if a human being has not died, he ought to be rich. Following this logic are we all millionaires?

Hence, Hudson provides a premise that attacks the conclusion.

(A) showing that a relevantly analogous argument leads to an untenable conclusion - Match

(B) citing a specific example to counter Whittaker’s general claim - -Not a general claim, yet attack a conclusion via premise.

(C) pointing out that Whittaker mistakes a necessary situation for a possible situation - Opposite
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Anshuman0902 wrote:
hi bunuel !
confused between A and B

My take on this:-[i][/i]
Some example
Use some another example to describe that his above example doesn't make sense

Hudson responds to Whittaker by
example in similar lines that is more easy to understand
Why?
To give message that his example does not make sense

Quote:
(A) showing that a relevantly analogous argument leads to an untenable conclusion

relevantly analogous argument= example similar or equivalent in some respects
untenable conclusion= not justifiable conclusion. in other words, the conclusion does not make sense

I think by now you would agree that A seems to be correct answer. Let's keep on hold.
Quote:
(B) citing a specific example to counter Whittaker’s general claim

strong reason to reject option B is Hudson's specific example doesn't go hand in hand with W's general claim.

Firstly, Whittaker claim is more of an example rather than general claim. His statement is more specific to a scenario.
Secondly, If I need to treat his statement as general claim then I expect Hudson statement to go into more details of medical students domain if Hudson's statement is to be treated as specific example.

So it is preferred to say both statements are more of an analogous example as both examples belongs to different domains.
Thus, I have no reason to stick to B when I am very much convinced with A that matches to my pre-thinking .

Hope it helps:) .
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Anshuman0902 wrote:
hi bunuel !
confused between A and B

HeyAnshuman0902, I understand you asked bunuel, but sharing my thoughts while you wait for his reply.
B is wrong for 2 reasons -
1. Hudson doesn't really cite a specific example of anything.
2. More importantly, what whitettaker has said is far from a general claim. It is so detailed as he talks about medical students. That too students who are in their first year of medicine. Such a detailed statement cannot be a a general claim IMO.

I hope this helps! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Schools: Wharton
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.46
Send PM
Here's the reasoning I read online:
The correct answer choice is (A)

Whittaker tries to argue that there cannot be a category of people that dropped out of medical school before their second year because if they dropped out they never experience a second year. In response, Hudson follows this same logic to show that there is no category of people who will not become rich because if you die before becoming rich, you never experience it.

Answer choice (A): This is the correct answer choice. Hudson uses the analogy of becoming rich to show that if he uses the same logic as Whittaker, it leads to a preposterous conclusion.

Answer choice (B):Hudson does not cite anything specific that directly counters Whittaker’s claim about second year medical students. Instead he attacks it through analogy.

Answer choice (C): Whittaker does not use necessary/sufficient reasoning in his statement, therefore Hudson cannot point out such a mistake.

Answer choice (D): Whittaker makes a simple statement without ever acting as if it were false.

Answer choice (E): Hudson never claims that Whittaker’s use of medical school students is extreme and unrepresentative.

Please give kudos if helpful
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts