Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Re: Who would you ask for a recommendation? [#permalink]
formerlyknownas wrote:
11MBA wrote:
I would say go with recommender A, unless his English is egregiously bad. I faced a similar problem when putting together a college rec. I had worked in a lab in hs and my direct supervisor we from Serbia and not a native English speaker. I considered asking another person in the lab who I had worked on one small project with to write my rec but in the end decided to go with my direct supervisor who I done my most important project with because I felt like he could speak more about the quality of my work.

I feel like you should choose someone who knows you and your work to write your rec. This way they can cite specific examples to answer the questions on the apps. They probably also have more to say about your personality and work ethic than someone who doesn't know you as well. I don't think minor grammatical mistakes will take anything away from a good recommendation. The adcoms should keep in mind that not everyone asks native English speakers to write their recs. This is America after all and there are plently of very capable people are immigrants and don't speak the language perfectly. As long as his writing is understandable and there are no distracting mistakes I'd say go with someone who knows you better.

Thanks for the response. I was afraid the adcom may wonder why I asked a nonnative speaker when I am in America and should have access to many English speakers..

If he's marked as your supervisor, I don't think they'll wonder. Like the previous poster said, I think you're okay as long as he communicates well enough.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategic Management
Schools:Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Can you do both? I believe most adcoms like to see a direct supervisor give a recommendation.
Current Student
Send PM
miccarlo wrote:
Can you do both? I believe most adcoms like to see a direct supervisor give a recommendation.

Yeah, my direct supervisor is already writing one. I don't report to either of these two.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
I would go with whichever of the two knows you better and can give a deeper, more detailed picture of you. Don't worry so much about the language, adcoms see lots of recommendations from non-native english speakers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General management
Schools:Cornell ($), Ross(accepted), Duke(accepted), Tuck, MIT, Columbia RD
 Q51  V36
Send PM
I completely agree with Jerz. Content is more important.
GMAT Club Bot