Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.98
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 08-05-2014
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Why do so many Indians pursue an MBA? [#permalink]
Kudos
jumsumtak wrote:
niksworth wrote:
There are so many Indians in general.

You sir, deserve a Kudos for this! :-D

There are enough people (read Indians) on this forum who will be more than willing to share their thoughts on this. I'll chip in with a few points:

Whatever Niksworth mentioned is true to a very large extent. Those are the first few reasons that will come to anyone's mind if you ask this question. Apart from those,

1.) I'm not too convinced with the quality of education as well. Quality here is subjective and obviously includes the quality of the class. When the best institutes in the country have nearly 70% (or more) people without any sort of work experience, many choose not to apply.
A derived point from this is: the selection criteria. There are no essays. Your resume does not weigh as much. Your career goals don't way AS much. What is of absolute importance is that you have scored a 99.XX percentile in your Common Admissions Test ( approx. 250,000 sit for it each year) and you have been consistent through out your academic career (right from high school).
So essentially, a McK guy with a 96 percentile on CAT cannot get into a top 10 school. (Its a different issue that a McK guy will almost always take GMAT and apply to foreign B schools and McK recruits from like 3-4 UG schools in India, and that too 3-4 people from each class). Similarly if you screwed one of your high school grades you are pretty much out of the race for top schools and this because there would be a thousand others who did not. If I were in the ad com of a B school in India, I would probably add a few more criteria but still wont be able to accommodate a 96 percentile . There is absolutely no scope of screwing your academics.

Hence, you fill the class with people from essentially similar people, who are very good in academics but not as good in other areas. Everything is Cut-throat.

Just to give a feel of it:
The high school (XIIth) grades are out of 500 (5 subjects 100 marks each).
Each school in Delhi University releases cut off lists to fill in the batch. Commerce and Economics are the most sought after courses. Can you guess the first list cut-off for the top college. 100%. I can't even explain what that means.
The 3rd cut-off list for that college goes up to 98 % or so (these are absolute marks and not percentiles).

2.) India is a developing country and there are a lot of fields that are relatively unexplored. Let me take a leap here and say for example VC industry is not spread AS much as in some of the developed countries. People are more informed now and want to explore.

3.) There is no clear career progression. You won't see many people, as in US, who join a MC or an I banking firm, right after their UG and progress from analyst through to associate. Those are very very elite position apparently. "There are so many Indians in general". Hence there are so many in IT, so many in Engineers, and SO many MBAs out there. Hence, no recruiter is willing to take risks and give jobs to UGs . In fact, this even dilutes the work MBAs do in India. Which is one more reason why people want to go out. The quality of work is definitely better (according to me). Again, keeping all other parameters same, if I were a recruiter I would probably hire someone with a business degree.

I could list down a lot of them. But essentially the crux is "there are a lot of Indians in general". They face an equally tough task to get through a B school in India as they do for a school in US.

P.S: I'm sure there will be people who will differ from the points above. This is what I feel and I'm sure there are a 1000 other reasons.

Few responses, provided with a very narrow vision, have forced me to put forward my thoughts as well.

I’ll respond first by posing a few questions and then would get down into answering.
First and foremost - "there are too many Indians" and thus heavy volume of Indian applicants! Please note- there are even more people in China however you don’t find as many Chinese on such MBA forums? What is the reason?
Second, the questions raised on quality of education and criteria of CAT- What value is of an essay or resume edited by an admission consultant instead of the applicant himself? Probably a better candidate may not be able to ‘showcase’ himself as well as another candidate, who gets services from such consultants, may. Would that be justifiable in your opinion? Or at the end you would question this criteria as well?

Any institute decides what kind of students it wants in its classes/campus and on what criteria to judge candidates. And this in no way defines the quality of education in that institute. What matters is what goes inside classroom and on campus.
If you look at HBS or any other prestigious college, you’d find that average GMAT range is higher than other tier 2 colleges. Similarly – IIMs look for best candidates with ‘good’ percentile on CAT and then give them opportunity to showcase their potential in GD and PI. If you've such a large pool to pick from, you've to formulate a strategy on 'how to pick'! period!

You cannot guarantee admission into IIMs with higher score on CAT as you cannot guarantee admission into HBS only based on GMAT score. In short an McK guy can definitely get into one of the ‘TOP’ MBA institutes in India.

Now coming back to the original question- Why so many Indians on this forum and generally doing MBA.
Career progression and better opportunities post MBA - This is a common, ‘high level’ reason for anyone on the planet to do an MBA.

Just that, when you compare number of Indians applying for MBA – you are looking only at total number or presence on such forums, while in reality this is just a very small (arguably infinitesimal) fraction of Indian population. But this doesn’t mean I support large population means large number of applicants argument! I would rather put it in this way “large population of ‘eligible’ and 'informed' candidates means large number of applicants".

While quality of top Indian institutes imparting MBA education cannot be questioned, it is a fact that there is absolutely no MBA institute in India (barring a few avenues introduced off late) for a person with higher work ex and therefore anyone realizing a need for MBA ‘late’ in their career HAS to go to international schools to get the quality education. Also, anyone not able to get through in his/her dream colleges in India has to take this route to fulfill his/her aspirations.

Hope this answers some of your questions and, in addition, gives you some questions to ponder upon!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.98
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Vips0000 wrote:
Few responses, provided with a very narrow vision, have forced me to put forward my thoughts as well.

I know we have a tendency to be become argumentative. (Amartya Sen wrote a book on this!) Still, rather than characterizing people's vision as narrow or wide, I would request that you take their opinions here just as what they are - their opinions.

To answer your questions -

Vips0000 wrote:
First and foremost - "there are too many Indians" and thus heavy volume of Indian applicants! Please note- there are even more people in China however you don’t find as many Chinese on such MBA forums? What is the reason?

Comfort with the English language should be a major factor. In my job, I have interacted with some Chinese - almost all needed interpreters. I would say that if you draw a normal distribution curve of English speaking ability of Indians and that of Chinese (if such a curve can ever be drawn!), the Indians would be farther to the right. I may be wrong but scores of call centres in India and lack of those in China are a testimony to this assertion. There may be some socio-cultural reasons as well but I'm not informed enough to make a comment.

Vips0000 wrote:
Second, the questions raised on quality of education and criteria of CAT- What value is of an essay or resume edited by an admission consultant instead of the applicant himself? Probably a better candidate may not be able to ‘showcase’ himself as well as another candidate, who gets services from such consultants, may. Would that be justifiable in your opinion? Or at the end you would question this criteria as well?

1) You must remember that a huge number of applicants (including me) haven't availed services of admission consultants and have worked hard to present the best picture of themselves through the very subjective admissions process. Even those who do use them need to work equally hard.
2) If you think that 'showcasing' something is irrelevant or misleading, well you have an entire business function called 'marketing' against you.
3) Please remember that wherever there is need, consultancy will be present. Someone might not need them, but others might.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
niksworth wrote:
There are so many Indians in general.

You sir, deserve a Kudos for this! :-D

There are enough people (read Indians) on this forum who will be more than willing to share their thoughts on this. I'll chip in with a few points:

Whatever Niksworth mentioned is true to a very large extent. Those are the first few reasons that will come to anyone's mind if you ask this question. Apart from those,

1.) I'm not too convinced with the quality of education as well. Quality here is subjective and obviously includes the quality of the class. When the best institutes in the country have nearly 70% (or more) people without any sort of work experience, many choose not to apply.
A derived point from this is: the selection criteria. There are no essays. Your resume does not weigh as much. Your career goals don't way AS much. What is of absolute importance is that you have scored a 99.XX percentile in your Common Admissions Test ( approx. 250,000 sit for it each year) and you have been consistent through out your academic career (right from high school).
So essentially, a McK guy with a 96 percentile on CAT cannot get into a top 10 school. (Its a different issue that a McK guy will almost always take GMAT and apply to foreign B schools and McK recruits from like 3-4 UG schools in India, and that too 3-4 people from each class). Similarly if you screwed one of your high school grades you are pretty much out of the race for top schools and this because there would be a thousand others who did not. If I were in the ad com of a B school in India, I would probably add a few more criteria but still wont be able to accommodate a 96 percentile . There is absolutely no scope of screwing your academics.

Hence, you fill the class with people from essentially similar people, who are very good in academics but not as good in other areas. Everything is Cut-throat.

Just to give a feel of it:
The high school (XIIth) grades are out of 500 (5 subjects 100 marks each).
Each school in Delhi University releases cut off lists to fill in the batch. Commerce and Economics are the most sought after courses. Can you guess the first list cut-off for the top college. 100%. I can't even explain what that means.
The 3rd cut-off list for that college goes up to 98 % or so (these are absolute marks and not percentiles).

2.) India is a developing country and there are a lot of fields that are relatively unexplored. Let me take a leap here and say for example VC industry is not spread AS much as in some of the developed countries. People are more informed now and want to explore.

3.) There is no clear career progression. You won't see many people, as in US, who join a MC or an I banking firm, right after their UG and progress from analyst through to associate. Those are very very elite position apparently. "There are so many Indians in general". Hence there are so many in IT, so many in Engineers, and SO many MBAs out there. Hence, no recruiter is willing to take risks and give jobs to UGs . In fact, this even dilutes the work MBAs do in India. Which is one more reason why people want to go out. The quality of work is definitely better (according to me). Again, keeping all other parameters same, if I were a recruiter I would probably hire someone with a business degree.

I could list down a lot of them. But essentially the crux is "there are a lot of Indians in general". They face an equally tough task to get through a B school in India as they do for a school in US.

P.S: I'm sure there will be people who will differ from the points above. This is what I feel and I'm sure there are a 1000 other reasons.
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
Vips0000 wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:

I’ll respond first by posing a few questions and then would get down into answering.

Any institute decides what kind of students it wants in its classes/campus and on what criteria to judge candidates. And this in no way defines the quality of education in that institute. What matters is what goes inside classroom and on campus.
If you look at HBS or any other prestigious college, you’d find that average GMAT range is higher than other tier 2 colleges. Similarly – IIMs look for best candidates with ‘good’ percentile on CAT and then give them opportunity to showcase their potential in GD and PI. If you've such a large pool to pick from, you've to formulate a strategy on 'how to pick'!

You cannot guarantee admission into IIMs with higher score on CAT as you cannot guarantee admission into HBS only based on GMAT score. In short an McK guy can definitely get into one of the ‘TOP’ MBA institutes in India.

Now coming back to the original question- Why so many Indians on this forum and generally doing MBA.
Career progression and better opportunities post MBA - This is a common, ‘high level’ reason for anyone on the planet to do an MBA.

Just that, when you compare number of Indians applying for MBA – you are looking only at total number or presence on such forums, while in reality this is just a very small (arguably infinitesimal) fraction of Indian population. But this doesn’t mean I support large population means large number of applicants argument! I would rather put it in this way “large population of ‘eligible’ and 'informed' candidates means large number of applicants".

While quality of top Indian institutes imparting MBA education cannot be questioned, it is a fact that there is absolutely no MBA institute in India (barring a few avenues introduced off late) for a person with higher work ex and therefore anyone realizing a need for MBA ‘late’ in their career HAS to go to international schools to get the quality education. Also, anyone not able to get through in his/her dream colleges in India has to take this route to fulfill his/her aspirations.

Hope this answers some of your questions and, in addition, gives you some questions to ponder upon!

I agree to a lot of your points and I mentioned quite a few times in my post that this opinion is subjective and there will definitely be people who will come up against it. I respect your opinion and also do not feel any reason to argue/debate on this. But, just to clarify what I meant on a couple of points that you mentioned in your post:

1.) By quality I meant the quality of the class. True that admissions consultants do write essays and that skews the process. But at the end of the day there is a massive significance on your work profile and the choices you have made in the past, quite unlike top institutes in India.
2.) I agree the institutes have the right to pick their own strategy. That is where I mentioned the high competition for an admit to even Indian schools.
3.) about the McK guy: Of course he can get into a top school. (but not with a 96 percentile). He might escape a 96 percentile (730/40?) on GMAT. I'm sure you would agree CAT is not just a check point as GMAT is. Again it comes down to the criteria that we both mentioned. And obviously schools are entitled to formulate the strategy because of such a large pool.

Probably this was why I was hesitant to write my opinions in the first place. Because one cannot discuss all the aspects in one post and however much I try to pacify my points/put caveats there will always be people who will differ. But I think in essence we are talking the same thing :)

Best
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
niksworth wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:

I know we have a tendency to be become argumentative. (Amartya Sen wrote a book on this!) Still, rather than characterizing people's vision as narrow or wide, I would request that you take their opinions here just as what they are - their opinions.

To answer your questions -

Vips0000 wrote:

Comfort with the English language should be a major factor. In my job, I have interacted with some Chinese - almost all needed interpreters. I would say that if you draw a normal distribution curve of English speaking ability of Indians and that of Chinese (if such a curve can ever be drawn!), the Indians would be farther to the right. I may be wrong but scores of call centres in India and lack of those in China are a testimony to this assertion. There may be some socio-cultural reasons as well but I'm not informed enough to make a comment.

Vips0000 wrote:

1) You must remember that a huge number of applicants (including me) haven't availed services of admission consultants and have worked hard to present the best picture of themselves through the very subjective admissions process. Even those who do use them need to work equally hard.
2) If you think that 'showcasing' something is irrelevant or misleading, well you have an entire business function called 'marketing' against you.
3) Please remember that wherever there is need, consultancy will be present. Someone might not need them, but others might.

Probably in a hurry to respond you missed the enitre post. :)

The points that you have quoted and responded to have been questioned in my post! and you would find the answers to those if you read on.
I've questioned why chinese despite being more in numbers are not seen on the forefront of MBA race and only difference is I dint put it so crudely as you did that chinese cant speak as good english as Indians can. And also, I've not questioned sanity or purpose of consulting services for resume or essay rather used it as a counter example to highlight the fact that each institute has its own criteria.

Its also worth mentioning that purpose of post was not argument,as you pointed out, but to highlight certain aspects that were not considered.

Hope it does clarify!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:

If this is true I would never see the value in attending one of these MBA programs. Even at 4 years of experience you've only seen a small part of the actual business world. What could your classmates possible contribute to a discussion if the vast majority of them haven't even had a job?
VP
VP
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:

If this is true I would never see the value in attending one of these MBA programs. Even at 4 years of experience you've only seen a small part of the actual business world. What could your classmates possible contribute to a discussion if the vast majority of them haven't even had a job?

That is a major deterrent. Also, the schools we are talking about have minimal international representation. Though, there are exchange programs in most of them.

There was some chatter about ISB as well. ISB is US-esque in its application process and a 1 year course. The average age there is around 25.
Living very close to it, having worked with ISB alumni and having attended a couple of classes, I can definitely vouch for it. The faculty is great, it has tie-ups with a lot of good schools and because it is a relatively new facility so the infrastructure is pretty awesome.

I heard there is a pro golfer and a Japanese monk, among others who are pursuing a course this year.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Perhaps this has been debated elsewhere as well, but what is the perception in India of business schools in India (e.g. ISB) vs. US schools (e.g. Harvard)? I'm wondering if when looking to hire, firms in India are more or less enthusiastic about certain business schools. Once again, I realize that this is asking to generalize and stereotype. But one thing I can say about the US for example is that Harvard is going to get you in the door in any field. It may not get you the job (the interview really makes or breaks for that), but it certainly is going to help!

I do want to point out that admissions consultants may make parts of the process seem unfair, but they can't work miracles. They don't turn lead into gold, the just polish it so it shines. At the end of the day (maybe I'm naive), I feel like the resume is the most important part. What have you accomplished? What kind of promotions have you received? What kind of coherent work background and future vision do you have for yourself?

Do Indian Business Schools use experiential learning opportunities, group projects, and other such collaborative activities? Or is the focus really on analyzing data and thinking independently? I would definitely be frustrated by classmates without practical experience to speak to and contribute.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Send PM
machichi wrote:
Perhaps this has been debated elsewhere as well, but what is the perception in India of business schools in India (e.g. ISB) vs. US schools (e.g. Harvard)? I'm wondering if when looking to hire, firms in India are more or less enthusiastic about certain business schools. Once again, I realize that this is asking to generalize and stereotype. But one thing I can say about the US for example is that Harvard is going to get you in the door in any field. It may not get you the job (the interview really makes or breaks for that), but it certainly is going to help!

I do want to point out that admissions consultants may make parts of the process seem unfair, but they can't work miracles. They don't turn lead into gold, the just polish it so it shines. At the end of the day (maybe I'm naive), I feel like the resume is the most important part. What have you accomplished? What kind of promotions have you received? What kind of coherent work background and future vision do you have for yourself?

Do Indian Business Schools use experiential learning opportunities, group projects, and other such collaborative activities? Or is the focus really on analyzing data and thinking independently? I would definitely be frustrated by classmates without practical experience to speak to and contribute.

Top B Schools are extremely hard to get in. Be it in US or in India. It is really difficult to stand out in either of the selection criteria. Part of the reason Harvard is great is because of its exceptional intake (co-relation vs causation) and the recruitment opportunities. Same is here in India as well. Recruitment companies flock the top 5-10 colleges and hire the best talent available. As H opens door to almost any field, so do topmost colleges in India. Recruitment companies are NOT less enthusiastic. There will always be demand for the classes that get out of the top-5 and these batches are pretty well placed.
The point is, a degree at Harvard will open doors in almost any country (because of its global brand name) I'm not sure if an Indian B school will do that. International placements are on the lower end, but again, choosing a school's geography is probably one of the most important criteria while considering your MBA. So one definitely need to weigh his/her options.

Agree to the consultant point. That's what I pointed out, your resume and your work experience holds a very high value.

Indian B schools do all that. There are a lot of initiatives, some of them inherited from their western counterparts and some invented in-house, that make these schools stand out. I would like to point out though there is no concept of a great "fit", at least culturally. Most of the schools have similar cultures, so it is best to land up as high as possible on the ranking scale.

Probably, I have helped here in fueling the lack of exp. debate. Let me explain it out a bit. (again my perspective)

It is the way this cycle has been.
As weird that line may sound it is actually the truth. People are ready to take the plunge right after their UGs and B schools are ready to accept them. As odd it may seem to someone from US, some Indians might feel odd about how the western schools function.
Imagine, not just you, or 5 or 7 but majority of people in business schools straight out of their UG. and then repeat that cycle year in year out. It does not seem that odd then. A lot of people right after their UG start to apply to B schools instead of finding a job. It is the way how education is structured and carried forward. and it takes a lot of time to change. There are obviously pros and cons and preferences.

Then there are executive programs, like SP Jain/IIM X's where work experience ranges from 26-31sh. (majority). You wont really compare it to exec program in US, where you require obviously more exp. (ISB is an exception: pretty similar to western programs)

Again, it is the cycle that has been established and the way education is structured in India. It definitely does not means the 'quality' of education is bad.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM