Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Why Is Wall Street So Happy With Geithner? [#permalink]
Haha. Hey, I do not hate Obama. Didn't you read my P.S.!? :) But I am confused about the positive response to Geithner.
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
I was just messing with you. As for Geithner, I dont know enough about him to have a firm opinion on the choice. However, alot of the world's most successful businessmen and business leaders do not have strong educational backgrounds in business (if any at all). He does seem to have a very strong background since he worked for the Treasury already. But again, no real opinion from me. Wait and see, wait and see.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
My opinion of him will be based highly on his position is regarding the automakers. Telling them to go home and come back when they actually had a realistic plan is a start, but if people think the banks are bad when it comes to using government aid as a crutch, I feel US automakers are twice as worse. They are the ultimate solve-the-short-term-problem-instead-of-the-long-term-problem industry (as they have proven many times over) and will only use any financial infusion to keep trying to fend off efficiency regulations. I unfortunately truly think that one of the big 3(likely GM) going under will be the only way to truly induce reform.

The wisest rebuttal to this that Ive heard mentioned how this failure will in fact retard US growth in manufacturing greener cars, but I still forecast a lot of GMs business being picked up by Ford.

Couple other things off the top of my head:

1) He may not have extensive Wall Street experience, but does have quite a bit with the IMF, which I value a lot considering how globally linked stuff clearly is
2) Lawrence Summers (your classic good behind the scenes, terrible as your face man) also got tapped for a high position. This I like because he is definitely the type who will make the smart decision instead of the popular one.

As always just my $0.02.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
its a kabala of nyomphs that run wall street and DC .. so they are happy to see one of themselves to keep the boat afloat..

though its an indication..Obama's change rehtoric is just that a load of bull.. he is just going to be a figure-head president..
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Policy change is easier to implement with leaders surrounding you. Applying the change talk to every single thing is just dishonest. "The white house is still white!", "Why does my TV still not get channel 67?"! Come on! He sets the vision and appoints people who can help get him there. Unfortunately, beltway fixtures are what work for that. He never said his cabinet would be new faces hand picked from obscurity.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
I don't think it's Geithner. You can put almost anyone in who is relatively unknown and they will get positive feedback (remember when palin was announced). I think the market generally doesn't like uncertainty, and having names Geithner and a economic team, at least stops all the guessing of these positions.

This is the initial market bounce, I think it takes a little bit of time for the true market to decide if he's the man.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
he was the head of the New York Fed....doesn't that involve dealing with Wall Street? I assumed he'd be some kind of point person between the Fed and the Street in that role.
Current Student
Send PM
Sleepy wrote:
he was the head of the New York Fed....doesn't that involve dealing with Wall Street? I assumed he'd be some kind of point person between the Fed and the Street in that role.

Yeah it does involve dealing with Wall Street and I mentioned that in my opening post. But experience regulating Wall Street is completely different than being CEO of a major bank (Rubin, Paulson, etc).

On another note, Summers as head of his economic council seems like a solid choice. But I don't like the rumor that he would replace Bernake as fed chair in 2010. Who better to have as fed chair right now than the number 1 expert on the great depression? And I think Bernake has been doing a good job.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
The market likes it because of the continuity between him and Paulson. He's been in the middle of this thing since it began, which means no lag time to get caught up and no on-the-job training.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
GoBruins wrote:
I don't think it's Geithner. You can put almost anyone in who is relatively unknown and they will get positive feedback (remember when palin was announced). I think the market generally doesn't like uncertainty, and having names Geithner and a economic team, at least stops all the guessing of these positions.

This is the initial market bounce, I think it takes a little bit of time for the true market to decide if he's the man.

I agree.The market is at oversold conditions and looking for any catalyst to rally.Also lot of short covering.

Market is expecting a meltdown in commercial mortgages and consumer loans.We will need to see how the next administration is going to deal with them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
The market likes it because of the continuity between him and Paulson. He's been in the middle of this thing since it began, which means no lag time to get caught up and no on-the-job training.

I feel that I agree most with jb32 comment.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
I think he was part of a MExico baill out, lkong term capital management and this most recent one.
(or maybe he just attracts melting of economies...) kidding...
GMAT Club Bot