Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Good insight, but... [#permalink]
I appreciate the "being able to land a top finance job" with the MS in Finance + CFA level 1, but don't you think having it from a non target school far away from financial centers, even with military experience, is going to be an uphill battle for bulge brackets?

I'm not getting my MS solely for the CFA. I'm getting it because I didn't take it in undergrad and I want a leg up on the competition, and the Air Force also helps me by paying for some of it. If I decide to stay in the Air Force a master's degree is a prerequisite for moving up the rank structure...

I do have some connections to the street, but I don't see any of them being able to get me an interview for Trading OR I-banking...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Getting into I-banking in a bulge bracket firm is really hard to do as you mentionned. You are probably right when you say that earning your MS in Finance from a small school probably won't give you many chances of getting in Goldman or some other bulge bracket school. But I would think that with your military background you should have an edge on the competition (*think* being a keyword here).
But what would prevent you from getting into Berkely, Princeton etc... ?
The better the school the better your chances :)

Again my advise is really not that great, and I don't know much. I am doing an MSc in Finance in London at LSE this fall, and after a lot of research I found out that my chances of getting into a bulge bracket firm in London are good. But again, that is after carefully considering the school, and asking every single person I know about it.

To your original question: a master in Finance won't hurt you for an MBA; whether it gets you into a bulge bracket firm, that I don't really know.

Good luck to you, you should check out this forum if you have more questions about it: ibtalk.com . It's mainly for Brits, but they have a lot of good advices on it. You should look at what programs you are considering and ask them a question there.
The MS Finance section of the gmatclub is almost dead apart from one or two post every months. I got most of my info from other forums regarding my MS in Finance.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Disjoint wrote:
Getting into I-banking in a bulge bracket firm is really hard to do as you mentionned. You are probably right when you say that earning your MS in Finance from a small school probably won't give you many chances of getting in Goldman or some other bulge bracket school. But I would think that with your military background you should have an edge on the competition (*think* being a keyword here).
But what would prevent you from getting into Berkely, Princeton etc... ?
The better the school the better your chances :)

Again my advise is really not that great, and I don't know much. I am doing an MSc in Finance in London at LSE this fall, and after a lot of research I found out that my chances of getting into a bulge bracket firm in London are good. But again, that is after carefully considering the school, and asking every single person I know about it.

To your original question: a master in Finance won't hurt you for an MBA; whether it gets you into a bulge bracket firm, that I don't really know.

Good luck to you, you should check out this forum if you have more questions about it: ibtalk.com . It's mainly for Brits, but they have a lot of good advices on it. You should look at what programs you are considering and ask them a question there.
The MS Finance section of the gmatclub is almost dead apart from one or two post every months. I got most of my info from other forums regarding my MS in Finance.

Well I appreciate the advice, even if you're not really sure. The thing keeping me from Berk or Princeton? 1. Probably lack of math aptitude. 2. Even w/ the aptitude I'm currently stationed in Colorado for the next 3 years, so I have to work with what is available.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey...im saurabh frm india...im doin my final yr of bachelors in commerce...i wantd 2 noe whthr an MSc in finance frm LSE or Manchestr, Lancaster or Warwick in UK wud help me get a gud job...3-4 yrs aftr which i wud lyk 2 do an MBA frm a gud bschool in US...
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts