Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Re: Will I be beating a dead horse taking the GMAT 4 times? [#permalink]
targetfocus wrote:
Hi Paul,

Can you please advice:

Here is my profile:
Indian female Engineer working for a large company in the bay area.
B.Engineering in Electronics from India with 3.89 GPA (very good school)
MSEE from a Tennessee Tech University with GPA 3.1 (traditional school GPAs are generally low)
Total work experience as embedded software engineer is 10-11 years

Took the Kaplan course and took the GMAT in Nov 2006 and scored 610 (82% in Quant 47% in Verbal). Retook the GMAT again, but didn't study for the Quant, just studied the Verbal and retook it again in Feb 2007 and scored a 610 again (57% in Quant, 73% in verbal). Took the GMAT again in March 2007, but didn't really have time to study at all. Just wanted to get a 650. Got a 580 instead.

I applied to part-time MBA programs at UC Berkeley, UC Davis and Santa Clara University (since I live in San Jose, California). I have been admitted to both UC Davis and Santa Clara University. I was waitlisted at UC Berkeley and finally dinged yesterday. I do not want to settle for Santa Clara University or UC Davis. I feel I should try to get into a name school. I am thinking of taking the Manhattan GMAT course to improve my GMAT score and get a 700. I am thinking about deferring my admission to SCU and UC Davis and would like to improve my GMAT score and try for Wharton West and Anderson (UCLA) next year. What do you think?

I am married with 2 kids and work full time. Some months of the year I work 12+ hours a day. It just so happens that the time that I was retaking my GMAT was when I was scheduled to deliver a major project. Ofcourse, I can find a million reasons why I didn't do well on the GMAT, but I am not going to. I really want to improve my GMAT score and apply to good schools next year.

How would a school like Anderson or Wharton West view a candidate who has taken their GMAT 4 times? I do plan to take the Manhattan GMAT course and take a month off of work to study and do well on the GMAT the 4th time. I am going to guess that my score maybe between 650-700, closer to 700. Would like to hear what you have to say. Is it worth taking the GMAT the 4th time and target a name school like Anderson next year? Should I settle for UC Davis or Santa Clara University?

thanks

targetfocus,

Schools generally frown on applicants taking the GMAT more than 3 times. If you were to get a 700, of course, it might be a risk worth taking, but your track record suggests a 700 is not likely, especially given that you have already taken a Kaplan-like prep course. Even if you raise your score it's not clear that you have enough other positives in your profile to snag a school like Anderson. Your Indian and technology background are very common, though being female is a big offsetting factor. Nevertheless, you would be expending a lot of time and energy for a very uncertain outcome. I would therefore advise you to "settle" for Davis or Santa Clara. Certainly very successful careers have been built on degrees from those schools.

Hope this helps,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Paul,

Thankyou so much for the advice. I agree that I should not be taking a risk for a rather uncertain outcome. I have not deferred my Santa Clara admission, but I plan to. I will probably accept the admission from UC Davis for the part-time MBA program.

But I do plan to start another prep course to retake the GMAT. I do plan to take the GMAT one more time in October and apply to Anderson and Wharton West. I did call Anderson and spoke to the director of admissions. I figured that there is no harm in sending in my application. If I don't get in that's ok, but I would've tried.

I do have some factors other than the fact that I am female to my advantage. Hope that helps me get in.

Thanks,
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
targetfocus wrote:
Paul,

Thankyou so much for the advice. I agree that I should not be taking a risk for a rather uncertain outcome. I have not deferred my Santa Clara admission, but I plan to. I will probably accept the admission from UC Davis for the part-time MBA program.

But I do plan to start another prep course to retake the GMAT. I do plan to take the GMAT one more time in October and apply to Anderson and Wharton West. I did call Anderson and spoke to the director of admissions. I figured that there is no harm in sending in my application. If I don't get in that's ok, but I would've tried.

I do have some factors other than the fact that I am female to my advantage. Hope that helps me get in.

Thanks,

Best of luck to you!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]