Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Verb Tense/Formx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [143]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [41]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [15]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Wisconsin, Illinois, Florida, and Minnesota have begun to enforce [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Because A is not ‘prohibit from’ but ‘prohibit to’
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [7]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Wisconsin, Illinois, Florida, and Minnesota have begun to enforce [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
ravi67741 wrote:
Q. Wisconsin, Illinois, Florida, and Minnesota have begun to enforce statewide bans prohibiting landfills to accept leaves, brush, and grass clippings.
(A) prohibiting landfills to accept leaves, brush, and grass clippings
(B) prohibiting that landfills accept leaves, brush, and grass clippings
(C) prohibiting landfills from accepting leaves, brush, and grass clippings
(D) that leaves, brush, and grass clippings cannot be accepted in landfills
(E) that landfills cannot accept leaves, brush, and grass clippings

This is an example that tests correct idiomatic expressions.

Rule:
RIGHT: PROHIBITS X FROM Y
WRONG: PROHIBITS THAT
WRONG: PROHIBITS X TO Y

Using this rule, we can quickly eliminate A, B.
D & E can be eliminated because C is better and crisp. It has the correct idiomatic expression that the author is trying to use in his sentence structure.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 459 [5]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Send PM
Bookmarks
yes, it is prohibit from, ban on and forbid to..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [6]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here's the explanation:

ban and prohibit mean the same thing, but in this context, their usage is different and hence they complement each other.
Here, the sentence is actually trying to say that Wisconsin, Illinois, Florida and Minnesota do not accept leaves, brush and grass clippings in their landfills.

Option A uses an incorrect idiom. The correct idiom is 'prohibit ... from' and not 'prohibit ... to'. Hence incorrect.

Option B suffers from a similar error. 'Prohibiting that' is incorrect usage.

Options C is the clearest answer choice here. It correctly uses the idiom 'prohibiting ... from'. Hence this is the correct answer.

Options D and E are both incorrect because they do not have a clear meaning due to the usage of 'bans that'.

Hope this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Bookmarks
sudish wrote:
Here's the explanation:

ban and prohibit mean the same thing, but in this context, their usage is different and hence they complement each other.
Here, the sentence is actually trying to say that Wisconsin, Illinois, Florida and Minnesota do not accept leaves, brush and grass clippings in their landfills.

Option A uses an incorrect idiom. The correct idiom is 'prohibit ... from' and not 'prohibit ... to'. Hence incorrect.

Option B suffers from a similar error. 'Prohibiting that' is incorrect usage.

Options C is the clearest answer choice here. It correctly uses the idiom 'prohibiting ... from'. Hence this is the correct answer.

Options D and E are both incorrect because they do not have a clear meaning due to the usage of 'bans that'.

Hope this helps!

@sudish - why usage of 'bans that' is incorrect? Can you illustrate?
Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The template of the idiom is ‘prohibit x from doing y’; Choice c is correct- ‘prohibiting landfills from accepting leaves, brush, and grass clippings’

Got it.
But what is exactly wrong with D & E?
Are the words Ban and prohibit redundant?
E.g. We say that
"In Gujrath, the government has enforced a statewide ban on liquor" or do we say
"In Gujrath, the government has enforced a statewide ban prohibiting the liquor"
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30781 [4]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Gau0809 wrote:
Got it.
But what is exactly wrong with D & E?
Are the words Ban and prohibit redundant?
E.g. We say that
"In Gujrath, the government has enforced a statewide ban on liquor" or do we say
"In Gujrath, the government has enforced a statewide ban prohibiting the liquor"

Hello Gau0809,

I am not sure if you still have this doubt, but here are my two cents anyway. :-)

Choice D and E are incorrect because the phrase ban that A does B is incorrect.

The word ban must be followed by prohibit or any word equivalent to the same as we see in the case of the second example that you have stated in your post.

The expression ban that A does B or ban that A is done by B is incorrect.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [2]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Wisconsin, Illinois, Florida, and Minnesota have begun to enforce statewide bans prohibiting landfills to accept leaves, brush, and grass clippings.

(A) prohibiting landfills to accept leaves, brush, and grass clippings -- prohibiting landfills to accept is incorrect ; usage of prohibit -
- X is prohibited from doing Y
- It is prohibited to do Y

(B) prohibiting that landfills accept leaves, brush, and grass clippings - prohibiting that is incorrect

(C) prohibiting landfills from accepting leaves, brush, and grass clippings - Correct

(D) that leaves, brush, and grass clippings cannot be accepted in landfills - ban that .. is incorrect expression

(E) that landfills cannot accept leaves, brush, and grass clippings - same as D

Answer C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [2]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
From the Manhattan Forum (Ron's explanation):

To use the word 'ban' correctly, you have to say that the ban prevents (or prohibits, or proscribes, or criminalizes, or one of the many other words carrying the meaning of 'puts off limits') something. You can't say 'a ban that X does Y'. So that does it for the last two choices.

As an alternative construction - possibly the most common construction, actually - you can say a ban ON (NOUN). This construction could theoretically be used here, but (1) it isn't, and (2) it would be difficult to introduce it into this particular sentence without some seriously awkward phrasing.

A and B are done in by poor idiomatic usage. As far as A, you can't say 'X is prohibited TO (verb)', although you can say the related 'It is prohibited to (verb)'. You have to say that X is prohibited FROM (verb)ing'. And B should look really, really wrong to just about any native writer/speaker of English.

That leaves C.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
generis GMATNinja chetan2u egmat MentorTutoring

How can we ban landfill in option C?? Landfill is not a person or a living thing who can do any activity .

Am I wrong here ??
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6856 [5]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos