GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 11 Dec 2018, 07:52

R1 Decisions:

HBS Chat - Decisions at Noon ET  |  HaaS Chat  HaaS calling admits |  Darden Chat  |  YouTube Live with Cornell @11am ET

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

With a record number of new companies starting up in Derderia and with

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 600 Q36 V37
CAT Tests
Re: With a record number of new companies starting up in Derderia and with  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2018, 23:00
hI,

I have a query w.r.t to option B. Yes the argument does state that "This year, previously established companies will not be adding as many new jobs overall as such companies added last year" but doesn't the such companies only refer to the companies that were setup before a year ago and by that logic B seems sufficient.

metallicafan wrote:
+1 C

Check my explanations below 8-)

monikaleoster wrote:
With a record number of new companies starting up in Derderia and with previously established companies adding many jobs, a record number of new jobs were created last year in the Derderian economy. This year, previously established companies will not be adding as many new jobs overall as such companies added last year. Therefore, unless a record number of companies start up this year, Derderia will not break its record for the new jobs created.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument relies?

A. Each year, new companies starting up create more new jobs overall than do previously established companies. - The argument doesn't talk about trends. Out of scope.
B. Companies established last year will not add a greater number of jobs overall this year than they did last year. - This rephrase a premise already stated in the argument (notice the words in blue).
C. This year, the new companies starting up will not provide substantially more jobs per company than did new companies last year.- CORRECT. If there are more new jobs per new company, there is a possibility of reaching a new record.
D. This year, the overall number of jobs created by previously established companies will be less than the overall number of jobs lost at those companies. - We are talking about new jobs. It doesn't matter whether there were lost jobs. (Shell game choice!)
E. The number of jobs created in the Derderian economy last year was substantially larger than the number of jobs lost last year. - Same as D

Help with the Explanation of Answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
CAT Tests
Re: With a record number of new companies starting up in Derderia and with  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Aug 2018, 12:08
GMATNinja GMATNinjaTwo

Hi GMATNinja, I have a question regarding option C. As I was doing my analysis, I noticed something. Our conclusion mentions "unless a record number of companies start up this year". This part, doesn't it already take into the assumption of what option C is saying? I was able to get to the option C by POE but I am trying to understand the logic behind it. As option B, can we not say that option C is also included into the conclusion? Or am I reading too much? Please help!

Thank You!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 18:49
csaluja wrote:

Hi GMATNinja, I have a question regarding option C. As I was doing my analysis, I noticed something. Our conclusion mentions "unless a record number of companies start up this year". This part, doesn't it already take into the assumption of what option C is saying? I was able to get to the option C by POE but I am trying to understand the logic behind it. As option B, can we not say that option C is also included into the conclusion? Or am I reading too much? Please help!

Thank You!

Here's the argument, one more time:
Quote:
With a record number of new companies starting up in Derderia and with previously established companies adding many jobs, a record number of new jobs were created last year in the Derderian economy. This year, previously established companies will not be adding as many new jobs overall as such companies added last year. Therefore, unless a record number of companies start up this year, Derderia will not break its record for new jobs created.

The conclusion is that Derderia will not break its record for new jobs created, unless a record number of companies start up this year. Here's how the author gets to this conclusion:

• Last year, previously established companies in D added many jobs.
  • Last year, a record number of new companies started up in D.
  • As a result of these two things, a record number of new jobs were created in D last year.
  • This year, previously established companies in D are not adding as many jobs as they did last year.
  • Therefore, D will not break its record for new jobs created this year, UNLESS D also breaks its record for number of companies started up.

The thing that jumps out at me here is that the conclusion is focused on the number of jobs created, but it tells us that this number will depend on the number of companies starting up. We still don't have any idea how many jobs these new startup companies create! That's a big gap to keep in mind as we review the answer choices that you're inspecting.

Quote:
(B) Companies established last year will not add a greater number of jobs overall this year than they did last year.

Just like you've noticed, this choice gives us no new information, and it doesn't fill the gap. So eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) This year, the new companies starting up will not provide substantially more jobs per company than did new companies last year.

This choice doesn't repeat information that's already in the argument. It tells us new information about how many jobs will be created by the new startup companies. And it definitely bridges the gap in this argument, by letting us know that each of these new startup companies will not provide substantially more jobs than new companies did last year. This reinforces the conclusion: that D will not break the overall record for new jobs this year. That's why (C) is the best available choice.

The language being thrown around is similar and repetitive, which makes things a bit tough to follow. But this all comes down to the fact that the argument never tells us how many jobs are being created by new startup companies, and choice (C) fills in that gap.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GPA: 4
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2018, 16:01
C)This year, the new companies starting up will not provide substantially more jobs per company than did new companies last year.

substantially is a give away... if more jobs/company are not substantially increased .. remember the previously set up companies won't contribute much this year... and if the assumption that jobs/company will not increase substantially... then we have no other choice than hope for the number of companies opened be significantly high - "record number of companies" so that effective number of jobs increase.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2018, 03:45
Let me know if my approach to solve this question is correct
last year: Established company : 100 jobs
New company : 100
total record number if jobs created = 100+100=200
This year : Established company =50 jobs
New company of the previous year = Nothing about this is stated in the argument
Conclusion is that this year many new start ups must be formed to break last year's record of 200 jobs
SO the assumption is that the new companies of last year did not create greater number of jobs than they did last year
GMAT Club Bot
Re: With a record number of new companies starting up in Derderia and with &nbs [#permalink] 04 Dec 2018, 03:45

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

With a record number of new companies starting up in Derderia and with

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap