Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 328 [36]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [7]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [5]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Send PM
Re: With a total population of less than two hundred and fewer breeding fe [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Quote:
BKimball wrote

With that said, I'd push people to not just consider the single word used in this and other questions (less vs. lesser) but the phrase overall ("of less than" vs. "lesser than) and try to determine why one of these is right and the other is wrong.

Can you please tell us which is correct? Of less than Choice A or lesser than (Choice C).

Coming back to your example of the word ‘like’, the use of the same word in two different meanings is not equal to the use of two different words in the same meaning, which is what the text is about. Can you please give some more examples in which we have to choose between two altogether different words but with the same meaning such as equal and equalant etc.

I also feel that it is not fair to compare a word in spoken form with its written form.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Send PM
Re: With a total population of less than two hundred and fewer breeding fe [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
With due respects to Bkimball's views, which he is entitled for, just as I am for my own views which I cherish, let me make out a few things. I think that this forum is neither for teaching nor for exploring English grammar. This is for teaching enough grammar to cross over the GMAT. Within that pressure cooker time of the real-time GMAT, the test taker must know the shortest but the safest means ticking the right ones. Knowledge of grammar is subservient to this purpose.

But let me reiterate that I respect other views too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 296 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Send PM
Kudos
here is a really good write up on this topic --
https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/pos ... tml#p26913
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
daagh,

I completely understand what you're saying and didn't intend for this to be a purely theoretical discussion of grammar. That said, I have spent a lot of time taking, teaching, and reviewing the GMAT and I believe that you need to understand certain fundamental grammatical concepts to do well on SC. Although there are rules that get shared on many forums ("Being is always wrong" / "The shortest answer is always right" / etc.) the reality is that the only real hard and fast rule on SC is that "The right answer must be grammatically correct." Although students can probably increase their scores to a certain point using shortcuts, most of the comments I see on this forum are from students who say their goal scores are 650-750. For better or for worse, that's why I often post about the grammar behind SC questions.

Brett
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
dominicraj wrote:
With a total population of less than five thousand and fewer well-trained soldiers than ever before, the army base is still unprepared for a real war.

(A) less than five thousand and fewer

(B) lower than five thousand and less

(C) lesser than five thousand and fewer

(D) fewer than five thousand and less

(E) fewer than five thousand and of fewer

Hi dominicraj

Do you have any specific doubt in the question? Also, sharing your thought process will help others to understand and respond to your doubt better. :)

Happy prepping!

Dolly Sharma

Originally posted by DollySharma on 15 Jun 2015, 03:32.
Last edited by DollySharma on 13 Nov 2015, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Prepcorn wrote:
dominicraj wrote:
With a total population of less than five thousand and fewer well-trained soldiers than ever before, the army base is still unprepared for a real war.

(A) less than five thousand and fewer

(B) lower than five thousand and less

(C) lesser than five thousand and fewer

(D) fewer than five thousand and less

(E) fewer than five thousand and of fewer

Hi dominicraj

Do you have any specific doubt in the question? Also, sharing your thought process will help others to understand and respond to your doubt better. :)

Happy prepping!

Dolly Sharma
Prepcorn

Hi Dolly,

When an uncountable noun decreases we use "less" and when the noun is countable we use "fewer". Specifically when the number is also given its definitely a countable. And well-trained soldiers can be any number in the population hence it can be taken as uncountable.

However as per the OA "less" is used for the decrease in the number. I am not sure of how this works.

Regards,
Dom.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [3]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos