GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Jun 2019, 15:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

With adjustments for inflation,the relative cost of welfare

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

 
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 09 Feb 2015
Posts: 353
Location: India
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Booth '21 (D)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Reviews Badge
Re: With adjustments for inflation,the relative cost of welfare  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2016, 11:48
the only reason i picked D over c is because of the awkward phrasing in C.
Resulting in the welfare program now costing vs . welfare program now costs.
Experts your thoughts please.
chetan2u ?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Apr 2014
Posts: 99
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Reviews Badge
Re: With adjustments for inflation,the relative cost of welfare  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2016, 10:24
goforgmat wrote:
the only reason i picked D over c is because of the awkward phrasing in C.
Resulting in the welfare program now costing vs . welfare program now costs.
Experts your thoughts please.
chetan2u ?




my question in C is "usage of NOW before costing" ?? is it correctly used ??
_________________
way to victory .....
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2871
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: With adjustments for inflation,the relative cost of welfare  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2016, 13:22
Nick90 wrote:
goforgmat wrote:
the only reason i picked D over c is because of the awkward phrasing in C.
Resulting in the welfare program now costing vs . welfare program now costs.
Experts your thoughts please.
chetan2u ?




my question in C is "usage of NOW before costing" ?? is it correctly used ??


I do not see any problem with the placement of "now". The problem with C is that a present participle "costing" is compared with a verb "did".
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Dec 2014
Posts: 2
Re: With adjustments for inflation,the relative cost of welfare  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2016, 16:34
biddu wrote:
D it is ..

can anyone explain why not C

since participle phrase/clause modifies the idea of the main clause





Because there is no verb in C

Regards,
Priya
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Apr 2016
Posts: 1
Re: With adjustments for inflation,the relative cost of welfare  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2016, 05:15
Sudhanshuacharya wrote:
IMO the answer should be D.
In the sentence there is a comma after the sentence "... dropping since 1973," hence "resulting" should not be used. "Resulting" could have been used if there were no comma.

Hence D suits more logically to the sentence fulfilling "... dropping since 1973, and as a result..."



Hi,
As you have mentioned Verb+ing modifier without comma modifies nearest noun and with comma modifies the clause.
So in case of C,is it not required to modify the clause rather than the noun relative cost?
Please correct me if I'm wrong
Retired Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 2871
Location: Germany
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: With adjustments for inflation,the relative cost of welfare  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2016, 05:41
SHALLIKA wrote:
Sudhanshuacharya wrote:
IMO the answer should be D.
In the sentence there is a comma after the sentence "... dropping since 1973," hence "resulting" should not be used. "Resulting" could have been used if there were no comma.

Hence D suits more logically to the sentence fulfilling "... dropping since 1973, and as a result..."



Hi,
As you have mentioned Verb+ing modifier without comma modifies nearest noun and with comma modifies the clause.
So in case of C,is it not required to modify the clause rather than the noun relative cost?
Please correct me if I'm wrong


You are right. The present participle "resulting" modifies the entire previous clause. However option C is wrong because of some other reason:

Parallelism is not maintained between " program now costing" and "it did".

You may find some more details on verb-ing modifiers here:
verb-ed-modifiers-vs-verb-ing-modifiers-125611-60.html#p1712612
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 4658
Re: With adjustments for inflation,the relative cost of welfare  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2018, 17:44
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: With adjustments for inflation,the relative cost of welfare   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2018, 17:44

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

With adjustments for inflation,the relative cost of welfare

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne