It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 08:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

With an awaress that there are connotations associated with

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 253

Kudos [?]: 72 [2], given: 0

With an awaress that there are connotations associated with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2007, 02:00
2
This post received
KUDOS
7
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (00:49) correct 27% (01:46) wrong based on 785 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

With an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B, companies conducting consumer taste tests of foods or beverages typically choose numbers such as 697 or 483 to label the products.

A. With an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B
B. Because the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations they are aware of
C. Because of an awareness of the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B having connotations
D. Aware of the connotations of the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B
E. Since the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations associated with them and they are aware of it
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by PiyushK on 26 Jul 2014, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.

Kudos [?]: 72 [2], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1339

Kudos [?]: 844 [1], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: With an awaress that there are connotations associated with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2007, 21:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
B,E->Incorrect : they , them ->refering to what?
C->awkward
Between A and , picked D for conciseness

Kudos [?]: 844 [1], given: 10

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 14 Oct 2012
Posts: 166

Kudos [?]: 50 [1], given: 943

Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: With an awaress that there are connotations associated with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 18:53
1
This post received
KUDOS
My 2 cents:
NOTE: in GMAT whenever, a modifier opens a sentence and is followed by a comma + noun (subject) as in this case – modifier MUST modify the noun. i.e. it must act as a noun modifier. (Which/What)

Here, option A acts as a adverbial modifier – (how/why/when) – modifying the verb choose
How are companies choosing the number?
Companies with an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 & 2 and letters A & B CHOOSE numbers such as 697 or 483 to label products.

We need an option which can answer following question:
WHAT are companies conducting consumer taste tests of foods or beverages typically aware of?
Companies conducting consumer taste tests of food or beverages are typically aware of the connotations of the numbers 1 & 2 and letters A & B.

Simple test to verify if modifier makes sense with noun (subject) after comma:
(Noun/Subject) + (helping verb based on MAIN VERB) + modifier
Companies ARE aware of connotations….

Kudos [?]: 50 [1], given: 943

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Feb 2007
Posts: 350

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

Re: With an awaress that there are connotations associated with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2007, 06:42
D.

It's concise. :)

Using POE, B, C, E should be easily eliminated.

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1339

Kudos [?]: 844 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: With an awaress that there are connotations associated with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2007, 21:17
faifai0714 wrote:
With an awaress that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B, companies conducting consumer taste tests of food or beverages typically choose numbers 697 or 483 to label the products.

a)With an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B.

b) Because the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations they are aware of

c) Because of an awareness of the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B having connotations

d) Aware of the connotations of numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B.

e) Since the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations associated with them and they are aware of it.


B,E->Incorrect : they , them ->refering to what?
C->awkward
Between A and , picked D for conciseness

Kudos [?]: 844 [0], given: 10

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1339

Kudos [?]: 844 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: With an awaress that there are connotations associated with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2007, 21:18
faifai0714 wrote:
With an awaress that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B, companies conducting consumer taste tests of food or beverages typically choose numbers 697 or 483 to label the products.

a)With an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B.

b) Because the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations they are aware of

c) Because of an awareness of the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B having connotations

d) Aware of the connotations of numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B.

e) Since the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations associated with them and they are aware of it.


B,E->Incorrect : they , them ->refering to what?
C->awkward
Between A and , picked D for conciseness

Kudos [?]: 844 [0], given: 10

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2006
Posts: 253

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Re: With an awaress that there are connotations associated with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2007, 20:10
OA is D. Thanks for the great discussion!!

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10106

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: With an awaress that there are connotations associated with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2013, 07:41
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 May 2014
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 16

GMAT Date: 08-25-2014
Re: With an awaress that there are connotations associated with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2014, 03:03
A - original sentence is right as it conveys the meaning right
B - they is used before noun is specified
C - changes meaning
D - changes the meaning. companies are aware about the connotations but not necessary know those connotations
E - Lengthy

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 16

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2013
Posts: 172

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 41

Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: With an awaress that there are connotations associated with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2014, 08:34
I can only get why E is wrong , but could anybody explain to me why the others are wrong ?

A) I cannot get why this one is wrong
B) Doesn't they refer to companies ?
C) Not sure about this one .

I am totally confused .

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 41

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Manager
Affiliations: Manager
Joined: 06 Nov 2012
Posts: 168

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 111

Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Boston U '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: With an awaress that there are connotations associated with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2014, 23:30
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
With an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B, companies conducting consumer taste tests of foods or beverages typically choose numbers such as 697 or 483 to label the products.

A. With an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B - long and redundant

B. Because the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations they are aware of - Change in meaning. Ambiguous 'They'

C. Because of an awareness of the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B having connotations - "Having'' makes it Passive....wrong on GMAT.

D. Aware of the connotations of the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B - Concise and precise

E. Since the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations associated with them and they are aware of it - Long. Change in meaning. Ambiguous 'They' and 'Them.

Correct me if i am wrong...
_________________

Hard-work, Perseverance and Commitment.....

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 111

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10106

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: With an awaress that there are connotations associated with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Nov 2015, 11:37
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Joined: 15 Aug 2014
Posts: 355

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 472

Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: With an awaress that there are connotations associated with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 May 2016, 20:26
faifai0714 wrote:
With an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B, companies conducting consumer taste tests of foods or beverages typically choose numbers such as 697 or 483 to label the products.

A. With an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B
B. Because the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations they are aware of
C. Because of an awareness of the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B having connotations
D. Aware of the connotations of the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B
E. Since the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations associated with them and they are aware of it


Can someone explain why option 'A' is wrong!

also please provide me 'the usage of with' :)
_________________

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 472

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 03 May 2015
Posts: 262

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 23

Location: South Africa
Concentration: International Business, Organizational Behavior
GPA: 3.49
WE: Web Development (Insurance)
With an awaress that there are connotations associated with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2016, 02:45
smartguy595 wrote:
faifai0714 wrote:
With an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B, companies conducting consumer taste tests of foods or beverages typically choose numbers such as 697 or 483 to label the products.

A. With an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B
B. Because the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations they are aware of
C. Because of an awareness of the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B having connotations
D. Aware of the connotations of the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B
E. Since the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations associated with them and they are aware of it


Can someone explain why option 'A' is wrong!

also please provide me 'the usage of with' :)



Hi smartguy595

Connotations are by themselves associated with something else...
Connotations associated with is redundant and would mean associated with something associated with ...
For example : Connotations of discipline ..... it reveals something associate with discipline... we don't need to repeat the associated part

As for the second part of your question, here with is being used as a part of ' associated with'. Not by itself!!

I hope I've made it clear why A is wrong..
_________________

Kudos if I helped ;)

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 23

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 11 Nov 2014
Posts: 1

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Re: With an awaress that there are connotations associated with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 03:41
manishtank1988 wrote:
My 2 cents:
NOTE: in GMAT whenever, a modifier opens a sentence and is followed by a comma + noun (subject) as in this case – modifier MUST modify the noun. i.e. it must act as a noun modifier. (Which/What)

Here, option A acts as a adverbial modifier – (how/why/when) – modifying the verb choose
How are companies choosing the number?
Companies with an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 & 2 and letters A & B CHOOSE numbers such as 697 or 483 to label products.

We need an option which can answer following question:
WHAT are companies conducting consumer taste tests of foods or beverages typically aware of?
Companies conducting consumer taste tests of food or beverages are typically aware of the connotations of the numbers 1 & 2 and letters A & B.

Simple test to verify if modifier makes sense with noun (subject) after comma:
(Noun/Subject) + (helping verb based on MAIN VERB) + modifier
Companies ARE aware of connotations….


Thank you for the detailed explanation.

I have a question about some modifiers such as aware and excite. Should they come after "being"?

For example, in this sentence, "Being aware of the connotations of the numbers 1 and 2 ..., companies..."

Thanks in advance.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Math Forum Moderator
User avatar
D
Status: Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone
Joined: 08 Dec 2013
Posts: 1531

Kudos [?]: 957 [0], given: 72

Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: With an awaress that there are connotations associated with [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 06:52
With an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B, companies conducting consumer taste tests of foods or beverages typically choose numbers such as 697 or 483 to label the products.

A. With an awareness that there are connotations associated with the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B - meaning issue -does not actually say that the companies know what the connotations are. It just says that the companies know "that there are connotations
B. Because the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations they are aware of - changes meaning
C. Because of an awareness of the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B having connotations - meaning issue same as A
D. Aware of the connotations of the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B - Correct
E. Since the numbers 1 and 2 and the letters A and B have connotations associated with them and they are aware of it - Pronoun it needs to refer to plural connotations ; meaning issue as A

Answer D
_________________

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Kudos [?]: 957 [0], given: 72

Re: With an awaress that there are connotations associated with   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2017, 06:52
Display posts from previous: Sort by

With an awaress that there are connotations associated with

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.