Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [18]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [7]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [6]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [5]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: With its plan to create a wildlife sanctuary out of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Thanks GMATPill instructor! Your post was really helpful. Just to add my 2 cents: I was really confused as to what is the subject of the sentence. I had thought it was "Sweden" but according to the OA (E) it seemed that "a number of industrial nations" should be the subject instead. (FYI "A number of" is plural vs "The number of" which is singular)

For me, the key to understanding the question was breaking the sentence into 2 parts. The first part is "Sweden is (but) one of a number of industrial nations". Here, the subject is "Sweden" which agrees with the singular verb "is". The second part is "a number of industrial nations that..." The word "that" introduces a relative clause which modifies "a number of industrial nations". Hence, the verb/ pronoun in the relative clause should agree with "a number of industrial nations", and be plural ("are"/ "their") Hope this helps anyone who was as confused as I was!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: With its plan to create a wildlife sanctuary out of previously unused [#permalink]
carcass wrote:
With its plan to create a wildlife sanctuary out of previously unused landfill, Sweden is but one of a number of industrialized nations that is accepting its responsibility to protect endangered species and promote conservation.

(A) is accepting its responsibility to protect endangered species and promote

(B) is accepting its responsibility for protecting endangered species and promoting

(C) are accepting its responsibility to protect endangered species and promoting

(D) are accepting of their responsibility to protect endangered species and to promote

(E) are accepting their responsibility to protect endangered species and promote

Choosing between A and E.

Option E- With its plan to create a wildlife sanctuary out of previously unused landfill, Sweden is but one of a number of industrialized nations that are accepting their responsibility to protect endangered species and promote
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: With its plan to create a wildlife sanctuary out of previously unused [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I agree with E as the correct answer. Notice the wording is "one of a number of industrialized nations that...". For me, this falls into the special category of “one of the/a + plural + relative pronoun”. The verb that comes after the relative pronoun must be plural in this case. Note that outside this special category, “the number” is usually singular, and “a number” is usually plural. For example, the number of students is high. A number of books are on the table.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [4]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Look at the difference between the two examples given below.
Japan, one of a number of top industrialized nations is rich – singular verb because one is the subject.
Japan, one of a number of top industrialized nations that are rich – that modifies the nations and as a relative pronoun stands for the plural nations as a plural subject, entailing a plural verb- are rich-.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:
With its plan to create a wildlife sanctuary out of previously unused landfill,Sweden is but one of a number of industrialized nations that is accepting its responsibility to protect endangered species and promote conservation

(B) is accepting its responsibility for protecting endangered species and promoting
(C) are accepting its responsibility to protect endangered species and promoting
(D) are accepting of their responsibility to protect endangered species and topromote
(E) are accepting their responsibility to protect endangered species and promote

The intended meaning of the sentence is that Industrialized nations ( along with Sweden ) are accepting the responsibility...

So, we need a plural verb for the Plural Noun, Industrialized nations, as such we must use " Their " !!

Hence, among the given options, only (E) is correct !!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Are we not missing out on parallelism in option E ? I think it should be "are accepting their responsibility to protect endangered species and to promote". Correct me if I'm wrong
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
kishankr8 wrote:
Are we not missing out on parallelism in option E ? I think it should be "are accepting their responsibility to protect endangered species and to promote". Correct me if I'm wrong

It is a part of the rule "Once Out OR Twice In".

Notice, we have to before protect, so we could say 'to' is used for both protect and promote.

If it were like "protect and to promote", it would have been wrong.

I hope that makes sense.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
With its plan to create a wildlife sanctuary out of previously unused landfill,Sweden is but one of a number of industrialized nations that is accepting its responsibility to protect endangered species and promote conservation

(A) is accepting its responsibility to protect endangered species and promote (Nations are plural. Therefore, it requires "are").
(B) is accepting its responsibility for protecting endangered species and promoting (Same as A)
(C) are accepting its responsibility to protect endangered species and promoting (Its is singular)
(D) are accepting of their responsibility to protect endangered species and to promote (Wrong usage)
(E) are accepting their responsibility to protect endangered species and promote (Correct)

Kudos please if you like my explanation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 741
Send PM
Hello,
just want to confirm, "one of a number of industrialized nations" will take singular verb or plural verb?
And plz also suggest "one of the number of industrialized nations" will take singular verb or plural verb?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM

(D) are accepting of their responsibility to protect endangered species and topromote

the is and are can be used for the 2-3 split and the pronoun used for the refering of the countires is used,
Sweden is one of the countires ,here the verb should be refering to the countries,
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM