It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 03:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 38

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.9
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 02:48
souvik101990 wrote:
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.

A. is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
B. is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
C. are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
D. are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
E. are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract

[Reveal] Spoiler:
OA: In awhile

C is the correct answer.
Explanation:-
In any of the X of Y sentences, the verb that follows is singular or plural depending on Y. e.g. Hoko is one of the many restaurants in Miami that serve Chinese food. Notice the "serve" instead of 'serves'.
Going by this logic A,B are out.
D is out due to the use of 'its' as its is incorrectly referring back to 'a large number of communities".
E is out due to wordiness(as a way they can....) and incorrect parallelism(they can improve the quality of urban life AND attract... are not parallel).

Correct answer C :-D
MY first post :lol:

A merchant marine officer looking for new challenges now

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 38

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.56
WE: Marketing (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 05:03
My ans C
1)plural verb and plural subject thus their should come
2) to imrprove and attract is parallel

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 12

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GPA: 3.61
WE: Operations (Health Care)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 08:11
Hi Guys, can someone please explain 2 quick things to me

1. Why is Cleveland not the subject, hence the use of it? or is this one of those "addictives cannot from a compound subject" scenario?
2. "looking to their waterfronts to improve" vs. "looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract" - the former seems to suggest that the "Waterfront" will improve the quality of urban life?? That can't be logically correct? The option in choice E is wordy

I am probably missing something

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2014, 10:29
anyibuofu wrote:
1. Why is Cleveland not the subject, hence the use of it? or is this one of those "addictives cannot from a compound subject" scenario?

Basically the meaning of the sentence is:

There are large number of communities (on the Great Lakes) that are looking to their waterfronts; Cleveland is but one of them.

In fact, the above subject-verb agreement pattern is pretty much consistent across all such sentence structures; the one exception to this arises from the word only. So, if this sentence used only, then the sentence would be:

Cleveland is the only one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront..........

anyibuofu wrote:
2. "looking to their waterfronts to improve" vs. "looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract" - the former seems to suggest that the "Waterfront" will improve the quality of urban life?? That can't be logically correct?

Not necessarily. For example: Peter uses stick to walk clearly does not mean that the stick walks.

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Kudos [?]: 298 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 75

Dheeraj: Madaraboina
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2014, 20:11
There is no "the" before the "one of". So the verb has to be plural .Hence A and B are out.
C : to + v1
D : verb +ing --- wrong
E : they -- wrong.

Hence option C is correct. Hope this helps .

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 75

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 46

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Clevela [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Dec 2014, 00:08
A,B are out cause we are talking about communities and not Cleveland alone, D is out grammatical error. between C and E, C is more concise without distorting the meaning. Hope this helps.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 46

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 98

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge
Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Clevela [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2014, 10:30
This post was
BOOKMARKED
prinits wrote:
With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes that is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses.

(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract

Ans = C;
The original sentence has Sub Verb error
"that" refers to communities - hence needs 'are' instead of 'is'; Hence A and B are out
in choice (D), singular 'its' refers back to communities. Hence wrong
In choice (E), the intent to improve and attract is not expressed (missing 'to'). Hence wrong

Cheers!
-----------------------------
Please give kudos if you think it is worth it !

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 98

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2015, 02:22
if this one is from og, it is the only one which test phrasal verb

look to=consider
look at = take a look.

"look at' some thing as some thing is not logic

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2015, 02:15
waterfronts as a way
is not logic
waterfronts as a vehicle
is logic

is that right?

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 1164

GPA: 3.2
WE: Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2015, 01:17
hi,
in SC whenever any sentence follow by" one of" we use singulair
but if we use" one of X follows that" we must use singulair or plural verb depends upon x.
here " one of a large number of" that

"The number of sentence follows singulair "

"A number of sentence follows plural verb."

"The numbers of is always wrong."

So only option C and E only remains.

Between C and E to improve and attract infinitve looks concise.

So option C is correct.

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 1164

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7590 [1], given: 360

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2015, 02:05
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
First thing: looking at is wrong; we say look at only when we look at something physically; On the contrary, looking to means hoping to. Second, the subject is definitely the plural communities; hence the verb should be ‘are’ and not ‘is’.

(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract -- wrong as per the second point
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract – wrong as per the first point
(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract—correct choice
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting – are looking to its--- pronoun agreement error.
(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract – Wrong as per point 1.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7590 [1], given: 360

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 152 [2], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2015, 03:07
This post received
KUDOS
GMAT do test the agreement in the pattern

ONE OF THE NOUNS WHICH ARE

I think this point is hard and purely grammatically. this point require remembering more thang meaning analysis

Kudos [?]: 152 [2], given: 916

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [1], given: 165

GMAT 1: 540 Q39 V26
GMAT 2: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2015, 22:03
This post received
KUDOS
He is one of the many who have scored a century.

Have is a plural verb. Many is making the subject plural. Similarly, Cleveland is one the many communities is to be followed by a plural verb. This eliminated A,B.

C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract Example, I am looking forward to GMAT to get my life on track

(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting its is a wrong pronoun for a plural subject. Hence, eliminate D

(E) are looking at their waterfronts as a way they can improve the quality of urban life and attract
as a way by which is correct usage. But, that still makes the statement loose meaning

Hence C

Fais de ta vie un rêve et d'un rêve une réalité

Kudos [?]: 36 [1], given: 165

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 47

Show Tags

New post 29 Oct 2015, 21:55
I agree with C, but can someone please help me understand why C does not follow the parallel rule and instead wins.

'to improve' should be parallel to 'attract'

Hence the correct answer choice should have been

are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and TO attract

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 47

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

WE: Design (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 19:25
My pick was B
Please correct me if i am wrong. "That'' before the underlined sentence is a demonstrative pronoun. So it should be followed by 'is' because that is singular.Had it been referring to communities it should be 'those' instead of 'that' because 'that' is always singular and 'those' is plural.

Why cant Cleveland be considered as collective noun so that it can be used as singular.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7590 [2], given: 360

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 21:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Pkm:

Relative pronoun ‘which’ when preceded by a comma, has some freedom to refer to a noun farther than the preceding one. The pronoun ‘that’ does not enjoy such a freedom. It can only refer to the noun it touches. That is why it is called a restrictive pronoun. In this case, communities are the correct referent.

Between ‘that and those’: Can you replace ‘those’ in the place of ‘that’ and see how it works? This is how the choice C will be:
Cleveland is but one of a large number of communities on the Great Lakes those are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract new businesses. --- Does this make any meaning?

Another reason is that, ‘that’ is also a subordinate conjunction that connects the subordinate clause to the main clause, while ‘those’ is not a conjunction.

In addition, relative pronouns assume the characteristics of the noun they touch in terms of number and gender.

You said something about Cleveland being used as a collective noun. I assume that you probably meant the ‘communities’ to be used as a collective noun. When we say ‘community’, that can be termed a collective noun, because ‘community, includes the various members that belong to the said single community. But when you say communities, then it does refer to the various countable communities that are part of those communities. Same as in fish and fishes.

HTH

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7590 [2], given: 360

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 16905 [3], given: 230

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2015, 23:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
pkm9995109794 wrote:
My pick was B
Please correct me if i am wrong. "That'' before the underlined sentence is a demonstrative pronoun. So it should be followed by 'is' because that is singular.Had it been referring to communities it should be 'those' instead of 'that' because 'that' is always singular and 'those' is plural.

Why cant Cleveland be considered as collective noun so that it can be used as singular.

Responding to a pm:

"that" acts as a relative pronoun here. Its antecedent is "a large number of communities" which is plural and hence it takes a plural verb "are". You cannot use "those" as a relative pronoun.

Take some simple examples. The relative pronouns are underlined.

She is one of the those people who love singing.
We have many board games that require logical reasoning.

The antecedents of who and that are plural.

Which is better?
She is one of the those people who love singing.
She is one of the those people who loves singing.

Is statement 2 correct? Wouldn't we say: "She is a person who loves singing" instead of "She is one of the those people who loves singing"
What is the point of introducing "those people" if we are not going to talk about them? The sentence is not sensible.

In our original sentence, the relative clause "that are looking to their waterfronts ..." modifies "a large number of communities" which is the same as "many communities".
Cleveland is just one of those communities that are looking to...

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 16905 [3], given: 230

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 213

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.5

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2015, 22:30
I am trying to understand the how we determine what the THAT is referring too

So my understanding is that THAT can jump over the phrase [on the great lakes] to indicated that communities is the subject of that

BUT

we cannot jump over everything to get to Cleveland, because communities is the closest noun, outside the first prep phrase.

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 213

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 30

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V25
GPA: 3.39

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2016, 20:38

As per the intended meaning of the sentence, a large number of communities (which is plural) are looking for their waterfront...

(A) is looking to its waterfront as a way to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(B) is looking at its waterfront to improve the quality of urban life and attract

(C) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract
(D) are looking to its waterfront as a way of improving the quality of urban life and attracting

Left with:

'they' is an ambiguous pronoun here (possible antecedents: waterfronts and communities)

Thus, option (c) are looking to their waterfronts to improve the quality of urban life and attract

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 30

Chat Moderator
G

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 139

Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 22:35
Though I chose C, but "looking to their waterfronts" seems tough to digest. I would prefer looking to use their waterfront.

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 139

Re: With its plan to develop seven and a half acres of shore land, Clevela   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2017, 22:35

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4    Next  [ 65 posts ]