Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 366 [0]
Given Kudos: 748
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit, J [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mcepeci wrote:
Can we eliminate answer choice D and E because they use the past tense considered? Europa is STILL considered far too cold to support life thus the present perfect has considered is more accurate.

Hi mcepeci,

Considered in options D and E isn't a complete verb. Instead, it's a past participle (modifier). It is meant to be read as which has long been considered (present perfect tense, passive). Here's another example:

1. The player considered to be the best batsman ever...Considered isn't a complete verb here. It's a shorter way to say "the player who is considered to be the best batsman ever" (present tense, passive).

This can be a little strange, because in some cases (depending on the context) the same participle must be read as who/that/which was considered.

2. The player considered in the 1990s to be the best batsman... ← Again, considered isn't a complete verb here. It's a shorter way to say "the player who was considered in the 1990s to be the best batsman" (past tense, passive).
Re: With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit, J [#permalink]
ykaiim wrote:
With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit, Jupiter's moon Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, and with 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom.

(A) Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, and with

(B) Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, its

(C) Europa has long been considered as far too cold to support life and has

(D) Europa, long considered as far too cold to support life, and its

(E) Europa, long considered to be far too cold to support life, and to have

How can B be the answer? I recall both GMATNinja and egmat teaching comma + clause as 'Run on sentence'.
Anyone, Please Explain this in a layman's term.

GMATNinja Magoosh ron
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Ivey '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
Kudos
abhinavkant3 wrote:
ykaiim wrote:
With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit, Jupiter's moon Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, and with 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom.

(A) Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, and with

(B) Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, its

(C) Europa has long been considered as far too cold to support life and has

(D) Europa, long considered as far too cold to support life, and its

(E) Europa, long considered to be far too cold to support life, and to have

How can B be the answer? I recall both GMATNinja and egmat teaching comma + clause as 'Run on sentence'.
Anyone, Please Explain this in a layman's term.

GMATNinja Magoosh ron
This is what we call absolute modifiers. Their construct is Noun (abstract noun/ possessive pronoun - sometimes concrete noun as well .We call it resumtive modifiers then) + That clause / participal phrases.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit, J [#permalink]
Jupiter's moon, Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, its 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom

I seriously doubt that bold faced part is an absolute phrase as mentioned in a couple of responses. An absolute phrase begins with an "abstract" noun that captures the act/outcome of the clause prior to "," and it modifies the entire preceding clause.

An example of absolute phrase :

He treats his patients with complete sincerity, a practice that endeared him.

In the above sentence, the noun "practice" is an abstract noun that captures the act or outcome of the preceding clause

But in the correct option B, its 60 square miles of water is not an abstract noun. Instead, it seems to be a noun modifier(appositive), modifying awkwardly the distant noun "Europa". Hence the phrase "its 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom" should not be an absolute phrase.

Nested issue is that if it is not an absolute phrase, then as mentioned above , the appositive noun "its 60 square miles of water" is placed very far to the modified noun "Europa", making the sentence of a wrong construct.

Expert kindly help !! Thanks in advance
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
abhishekmayank wrote:
Jupiter's moon, Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life, its 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom

I seriously doubt that bold faced part is an absolute phrase as mentioned in a couple of responses. An absolute phrase begins with an "abstract" noun that captures the act/outcome of the clause prior to "," and it modifies the entire preceding clause.

Hi abhishekmayank,

I'm not aware of any such restriction on the type of noun that we can use in an absolute, so I'd advise you to double-check that particular point. As for whether it modifies a clause, yes, an absolute phrase modifies some clause before it (usually after, as absolutes are normally used before their associated clauses), but again, I'm not aware of any restriction like the one you mentioned ("captures the act/outcome"), though I suppose this depends on how broad the phrase "captures the act" is. I'm not saying that your sources are definitely wrong, but I haven't come across any such restrictions. Feel free to link to any reliable grammar resource that you think I should take a look at.

Also, its 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom {nominative noun + non-finite predicate} is an absolute phrase, so you may want to go over the information here once. This post may also be useful, as it details one way to create an absolute phrase.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63665 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
abhishekmayank wrote:

An example of absolute phrase :

He treats his patients with complete sincerity, a practice that endeared him.

In the above sentence, the noun "practice" is an abstract noun that captures the act or outcome of the preceding clause

But in the correct option B, its 60 square miles of water is not an abstract noun. Instead, it seems to be a noun modifier(appositive), modifying awkwardly the distant noun "Europa". Hence the phrase "its 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom" should not be an absolute phrase.

Nested issue is that if it is not an absolute phrase, then as mentioned above , the appositive noun "its 60 square miles of water" is placed very far to the modified noun "Europa", making the sentence of a wrong construct.

Expert kindly help !! Thanks in advance

It wouldn't make any sense to say, "Europa IS its 60 square miles of water..." As a result, it actually doesn't make any sense for the part after the comma to modify "Europa" by itself (or any other noun in the sentence).

As you said, an absolute phrase modifies the entire main clause, and that's exactly what the modifier after the comma does here: it gives us more information about WHY people consider Europa far too cold to support life.

In other words, if we end the sentence after "life" in choice (B), we might be left wondering, "Well, WHY do those insanely low temperatures make people think Europa is too cold to support life?" The part after the comma essentially says, "Because it's that freakin' cold, people believe that all of the water on Europa is frozen solid." And that helps the reader understand WHY people believe Europa is too cold to support life (the implication is that it's tough to support life wihthout any liquid water).

In short, the part after the comma in (B) logically modifies the main clause. For a bit more on that, and why (B) is better than (C), check out this post.

I hope that helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit, J [#permalink]
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
jabhatta2 wrote:
Let's focus on your two parts of the (C) version of the sentence.

The first is the following:

i. With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 F, Europa has long been considered as far too cold to support life

That sentence makes sense. It's logical that a moon with such cold surface temperatures would be considered far too cold to support life.

Now let's consider the second:

ii. With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 F, Europa has 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom.

That sentence means basically the following: With cold surface temperatures, Europa has lots of water.

That sentence is not really logical. What do cold surface temperatures have to do with having water?

So, the (C) version is illogical, while the (B) version, as has been discussed in this thread, conveys a meaning that makes sense.

Hi MartyTargetTestPrep - Thank you for following up

On the second

ii. With surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 F, Europa has 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen from top to bottom.

I agree with your interpretation of # 2, mentioned in the purple above, but with one change.

I thought # 2 was saying : With cold surface temperatures, Europa has lots of water (Thought to be frozen )

I understand : (Thought to be frozen ) is an adjective and not technically part of the main clause "Europa has lots of water"

You dont get the impression # 2 is perhaps saying :

Given the cold surface temperatures, many people think Europa's water to be frozen ?

I suppose "NO" because then "thought" cannot be an adjective but "thought" should be a verb instead [i.e. Think or Is thought]

Just curious on your thoughts

As you said, NO, because the subject is not "many people." The "thought to be frozen" part of the (C) version is merely a description of the water that the moon has.

So, the (C) version illogically puts the emphasis on the fact that the moon "has ... water."

Hi MartyTargetTestPrep - I see how you eliminated C

But technically - what you mention above also will apply to B.

B is saying -->

Given Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life
thus
Europa possessess LOTS of water?
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:

B is saying -->

thus

Hi jabhatta2.

Notice that the absolute phrase in the (B) version is actually "its 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen ...."

So, we have the following:

Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life
and an aspect of that situation is that
Europa's water is thought to be frozen

That meaning is logical.
VP
VP
Send PM
jabhatta2 wrote:

B is saying -->

thus

Hi jabhatta2.

Notice that the absolute phrase in the (B) version is actually "its 60 square miles of water thought to be frozen ...."

So, we have the following:

and an aspect of that situation is that

That meaning is logical.

Thanks so much MartyTargetTestPrep for responding - one point i just noticed + one follow up

I just noticed
- In C -- thought is past partticiple adjective
whereas
- in B - thought is a verb actually.

I am struggling to understand however how
is modifying
Exactly ?

Is it describing why Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life ?

But we already know why Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life --

The initial modifier [surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit] told us why already (Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life)
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
jabhatta2 wrote:
Thanks so much MartyTargetTestPrep for responding - one point i just noticed + one follow up

I just noticed
- In C -- thought is past partticiple adjective
whereas
- in B - thought is a verb actually.

I am struggling to understand however how
is modifying
Exactly ?

Is it describing why Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life ?

But we already know why Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life --

The initial modifier [surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit] told us why already (Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life)

"Thought" in the (B) version is a past participle that modifies "water."

The absolute phrase in the (B) version simply adds descriptive information.
VP
VP
Send PM
Thanks MartyTargetTestPrep -

So if i understand in B - Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life is being modified by 2 seperate independent modifiers

- modifier 1) surface temperatures estimated at minus 230 degrees Fahrenheit {initial modifier}
- modifier 2) it has a lot of frozen water {absolute modifier}

There are 2 independent reasons for why Europa has long been considered far too cold to support life as per B

The 2 reasons are independent of each other.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM