GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Apr 2019, 01:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Within the first few weeks of school, the new teacher

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Re: Within the first few weeks of school, the new teacher  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2016, 12:44
I think the OA is wrong the correct answer is option A.
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 10:52
nk9285 wrote:
I think the OA is wrong the correct answer is option A.

No, it is alright: A is wrong because a plural verb is required - there were two things:
1. limited parental involvement
AND
2. an abundance of administrative hassle.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 07:21
DmitryFarber wrote:
Vyshak, C is wrong because the teacher didn't discover the involvement itself. He or she discovered that there wasn't very much involvement!

Having said that, B is a very clunky sentence, and I don't think it would fly on the GMAT! Like many of the non-official Q's making the rounds here, this one is not worth much of our time.

Sir, can you please give a more elaborate explanation why C is incorrect..
I didn't understand your explaination..
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 07:23
sayantanc2k wrote:
manhasnoname wrote:
Since this is a 700 level question I guess I over thought the question. But I need an explanation to prove myself correct.

"within first few weeks" is one action and "discovered" is another action. Shouldn't past perfect be used here? In other words, why E isn't right?

"Within first few weeks" is not a point of time - past perfect would be appropriate, if the sentence were something as follows:
By the end of the month, the new teacher had discovered.....

Moreover the verb "was" is wrong - it should be plural: there WERE limited parental involvement AND an abundance of administrative hassle.

Therefore E is wrong.

Sir why cant the answer be C.
I agree that B is correct but not convinced why C is wrong
Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Within the first few weeks of school, the new teacher  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2016, 09:36
suramya26 wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
manhasnoname wrote:
Since this is a 700 level question I guess I over thought the question. But I need an explanation to prove myself correct.

"within first few weeks" is one action and "discovered" is another action. Shouldn't past perfect be used here? In other words, why E isn't right?

"Within first few weeks" is not a point of time - past perfect would be appropriate, if the sentence were something as follows:
By the end of the month, the new teacher had discovered.....

Moreover the verb "was" is wrong - it should be plural: there WERE limited parental involvement AND an abundance of administrative hassle.

Therefore E is wrong.

Sir why cant the answer be C.
I agree that B is correct but not convinced why C is wrong

Difficult to eliminate C - the best I can reason is (though not very convincing):

In C it is not clear where the teacher discovered those two things. In B however the idea is better conveyed since option B states "there", which refers to "school".

As I already mentioned, this is not a very solid reasoning, and in my opinion this question does not seem to be very GMAT-like.
Intern
Intern
Within the first few weeks of school, the new teacher  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2019, 07:29
I've literally just started studying for the GMAT and I've been getting so many wrong but I got this one right. I think it's as simple as compound plural subjects as a result of the AND.

This is more of a technical GMAT question and B is the only option that follows that rule. I think if there were two or more options with 'were' it would have been more difficult.
GMAT Club Bot
Within the first few weeks of school, the new teacher   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2019, 07:29

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

Within the first few weeks of school, the new teacher

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap