It is currently 19 Sep 2017, 14:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Women are expected to be the majority of students entering

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 818 [2], given: 99

Women are expected to be the majority of students entering [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2009, 19:20
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (00:49) correct 31% (00:57) wrong based on 1288 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Women are expected to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing more women in leadership position in politics and business.
A Women are expected to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing
B The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, a trend that will ultimately place
C The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, which will ultimately place
D It is expected that the majority of students entering law school this fall will be women, a trend ultimately placing
E It is expected for the women to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, which will ultimately place

please explain your reasoning ...
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 818 [2], given: 99

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 13

Re: Women are expected to be the majority of students entering [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2009, 12:45
One more B.

"A trend that will ultimately place" is correct usage. Trend will cause something to happen in future. Simple future tense is better than continuous placing.

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 13

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [2], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2009, 21:07
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ugimba wrote:
hocnhan wrote:
ugimba wrote:
Women are expected to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing more women in leadership position in politics and business.
A Women are expected to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing
B The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, a trend that will ultimately place
C The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, which will ultimately place
D It is expected that the majority of students entering law school this fall will be women, a trend ultimately placing
E It is expected for the women to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, which will ultimately place

3/2 Rule: "placing" V.S "place" , "place" is right --> rule out A & D
"Which" after the comma refers to women --> wrong --> rule out C & E
The choice left is B

can you elaborate more on your elimination process between "placing" V.S "place" ?

I thought "placing" also can fit here ( it will be a absolute phrase -- just eliminate BE verb, and that absolute can be modifier).. I think absolute phrase is also correct (grammatically) here ...

appreciate if you can explain a bit more on this ..

Hi,
You are right that "placing" is correct in grammar but it distorts the meaning. The trend is not yet established, so you can't use "placing" here. In other words, the trend is the result of "women are expected...", and the first phase uses present tense --> the result should be in future tense ^ ^

Kudos [?]: 13 [2], given: 4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2009, 04:37
B for me

C D E are clearly out.
There are two reasons why I eliminate A
First, expect ..., a trend - should be in a future tense.
a trend placing = a trend that places = present tense

Second - I am more comfortable with The majority ... than Women ...
Women ..., a trend - a trend modify women??
The majority ..., a trend - a trend correctly refers to the majority, which can be a trend.

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 222 [3], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2010, 23:44
This post received
KUDOS
oopsss i got it. It can be plural :-)
According to manh SC guide, if one mean the many individual parts of the totality then use a plural verb....for example :" the majority of the students ARE..."

If one means the totality itself then use singular verb . eg " the student majority IS....

Kudos [?]: 222 [3], given: 1

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Kudos [?]: 1088 [0], given: 109

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2011, 16:54
+1 B

If you want to refer to each individual in that majority, you have to use ARE.

If you want to refer to that majority as a whole, use IS.
For example: The majority of the congress is conformed by Republicans.

I think that "it" in D and E is not wrong. I eliminated D because I think that the meaning in B is better. "Ultimately" refers to something in the future.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1088 [0], given: 109

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2011, 07:25
Why D is wrong?

I already ask this question in the manhantant forum and beatthegmat forum, and get no full explanation.

in D, "trend placing" is correct because "trend placing" mean

"trend that will place"
"trend that place"
"trend that is placing"
any tense.

that is why "placing" is called non definite. This means no time.

any one know why D is wrong, pls, speak. thank you.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 82 [1], given: 4

Schools: Schulich '16

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2013, 00:17
This post received
KUDOS
hey noboru,

i'll help u on this.
i had read in manhattan SC guide:

The words majority, minority, and plurality are either singular or plural, depending on their
context. If you want to indicate the many individual parts of the totality, use a plural verb.
If you want to indicate the totality itself then use a singular verb form.

The majority of the students in this class ARE hard workers.(plural)
In the Senate, the majorjty HAS coalesced into a unified voting block.(singular)

hope it helps.

Kudos [?]: 82 [1], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2013, 22:14
"The Majority of Students" is similar to " The number of Students" , in this case, we take the subject from the pre-position "of Students", hence plural verb - an exceptinal case according to MGMAT SC. Unlike "A number of Students" or which should be singular verb.

For me B

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Manager
Manager
Status: Please do not forget to give kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 257

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2013, 23:32
ugimba wrote:

here is my reasoning. I will go with B.
A: Women are -->plural refer to majority of students which is not correct. Also in second clause has a missing verb. placing is not a verb.
B. majority is referred to women which agrees with SV quantity. 2nd phrase has a subject that has a verb place.
C. which refers to woman but its the trend not more women entering law school--a trend that will place women in leadership positions.
D. it is expected that --> wordy and nonsense
E. what is expected from women?

so for me logical answer is B. Whats the OA?

Please Help with Kudos, if you like my post.

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 257

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 403 [0], given: 56

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2013, 11:41
The error is w.r.t tense.
Women are expected to be the majority, (a future course of action), this trend "will place" women in top positions...

so
is wrong
and
remains

w.r.t number agreement...
consider the following sentence.
The majority of students entering law school this fall are women. (using is instead will be wrong)
Or to put it simply, the majority are women.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Kudos [?]: 403 [0], given: 56

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 98

Concentration: Leadership, Technology
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2015, 06:37
ugimba wrote:

A - Verb-ing modifier 'placing' takes on present tense. It should be in future tense as it talks about a future event.
B - Correct.
C - 'which' refers to 'women' and does not make sense.
D - Same ver-ing tense error as (A)
E - same as (C)

Cheers!
-----------------------------
Please give kudos if you think it is worth it !

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 98

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 17

Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.21
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Re: *700* Women are expected to be the majority of student [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2015, 11:05
souvik101990 wrote:
Women are expected to be the majority of student entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing more women in leadership position in politics and business.

A. Women are expected to be the majority of student entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing

B. The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, a trend that will ultimately place

C. The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, which will ultimately place

D. It is expected that the majority of students entering law school this fall will be women, a trend ultimately placing

E. It is expected for the women to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, which will ultimately place

A. Women are expected to be the majority of student entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing - should be students, eliminate.

B. The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, a trend that will ultimately place - Correct.

C. The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, which will ultimately place - the statement which is referring to the women not the effect of the situation, eliminate.

D. It is expected that the majority of students entering law school this fall will be women, a trend ultimately placing - tenses are wrong placing refers to present tense but the rest of the sentence is referring to future tense of what will happen in the fall, eliminate.

E. It is expected for the women to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, which will ultimately place - incorrect use of plural, eliminate.

If any of my ideas about why any of the answers are incorrect please share your thoughts.

Please pass me a +KUDOS if you liked my post! Thanks!

Do not compare yourself to others, compare yourself to who you were yesterday.

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 17

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 89

Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Premium Member
Re: *700* Women are expected to be the majority of student [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2015, 14:01
souvik101990 wrote:
Women are expected to be the majority of student entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing more women in leadership position in politics and business.

A. Women are expected to be the majority of student entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing

B. The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, a trend that will ultimately place

C. The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, which will ultimately place

D. It is expected that the majority of students entering law school this fall will be women, a trend ultimately placing

E. It is expected for the women to be the majority of students entering law school this fall, which will ultimately place

A. Women are expected to be the majority of student entering law school this fall, a trend ultimately placing -- student is wrongly singular

B. The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, a trend that will ultimately place -- Correct

C. The majority of students entering law school this fall are expected to be women, which will ultimately place -- wrong use of which

D. It is expected that the majority of students entering law school this fall will be women, a trend ultimately placing -- wordy, wrong use of cont. tense

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 89

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3071 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2016, 21:27
prakashgmat2016 wrote:
hocnhan wrote:
ugimba wrote:

3/2 Rule: "placing" V.S "place" , "place" is right --> rule out A & D
"Which" after the comma refers to women --> wrong --> rule out C & E
The choice left is B

Can you please explain how to know which word before COMMA is referred by the word "WHICH". It is based on your understanding of the sentence or there are some rule or tricks or method to figure out the correct antecedent
PLEASE REPLY

There is definitely a rule: it is popularly called the modifier touch rule. The modifier starting with which should generally touch the noun it modifies, i.e. "which" should generally refer to the word just preceding "which".

The dog likes the cat, which is black.

Clearly which refers to cat (as per modifier touch rule - the modifier which is black touches cat.)

However there are some exceptions to modifier touch rule. For example another mission critical prepositional modifier may come in between a modifier and the noun it refers to.

The king of Trueland, who has never lied, died yesterday.

The modifier who has never lied refers to the noun king. Ideally the modifier should be placed adjacent to king. But in this case the separation is acceptable because of Trueland is a mission critical modifier that has to come in between - there is no better way to position the prepositional modifier of Trueland anywhere else in the sentence.

Kudos [?]: 3071 [0], given: 22

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 29

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 00:09
The answer choices have, to say broadly, two groups - 1- place and 2 - placing

2- "placing" is wrong, because the meaning here needs non-continuous use of verb "PLACE", because "placing women ......" is a figurative clause.

Now only B tells about the "a trend" which is the centre of the meaning of this sentence.

So correct answer is B.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 29

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7578 [1], given: 360

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2016, 07:12
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A nice practice question that puts you into quite a few splits to wade through.
1. What should be the subject ? Women or ‘the majority” Considering that the modifier trend has to fall back on some evolving action, women are is too passive and hence is no equivalent to the more dynamic factor of something trending. So we will drop A.
2. to choose between ‘a trend ‘ and ‘which’. 'This ‘is blatantly incorrect in modifying women and the fall, both inappropriate. Therefore, we will dump C and E.
3. To choose between ‘placing’ and ‘that will place’ obviously, since the effect of the trend is going to be in the future, that will place is more appropriate than the tenseless participle ‘placing’. Therefore, we will drop A, and D.
Ultimately, what survives the drop list? Only B.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7578 [1], given: 360

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Timeframe of comma+ing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2016, 13:11
hotshot02 wrote:
pramitmishra0607 wrote:
"__ing" constructions adopt the same timeframe as the sentence to which they're attached. How do we find this timeframe. By seeing the main verb of the sentence or by seeing the time it is referring to.

Why is D wrong. How do we find out the timeframe of "Ultimately placing" (by seeing "it is expected" or by seeing "students entering this fall will be women".

And can we use comma+ing to say something about future such as "he will clean the house, making a lot of noise"...is this correct?

Thanks!!!

In answer choice D, expected that is wrong. "expect to" is the correct idiom.
also placing in D indicates that trend is established but it is not like that.

I just quoted the question in order to understand the underlying principle.
For option D, Ron Purewal said:
the main clause is explicitly situated within this fall.

the modifier "placing..." suggests that these women will be placed into positions of leadership this fall. that's wrong (it will take decades for them to get there), so this choice is incorrect.

So My doubt is:
How do we find out the timeframe of "Ultimately placing" (by seeing "it is expected" or by seeing "students entering this fall will be women"?
Not only for this question but in general.

P.S. I dont think that the option is wrong because of "it is expected".

Please give Kudos if u find it helpful!!!!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
B

Kudos [?]: 1122 [0], given: 29

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2016, 01:07
Check out Ron's explanation again. (https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... t1862.html) He says that D suffers the same problem as A: by using "placing," it implies that this placement is already happening. This is inherent to the modifier, and doesn't require us to pick out any subtleties from the preceding clause. B fixes this by using the future tense: "will (ultimately) place."

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Last edited by DmitryFarber on 22 Dec 2016, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 1122 [0], given: 29

VP
VP
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 02:13
[quote="pramitmishra0607"][quote="hotshot02"][quote="pramitmishra0607"]"__ing" constructions adopt the same timeframe as the sentence to which they're attached. How do we find this timeframe. By seeing the main verb of the sentence or by seeing the time it is referring to.

nothing wrong with D.
something wrong with B.
in B, "entering" take the time of "are" so, it is in present but "this fall" show future. this is not fit. no logic. wrong.
in D
"placing" take time of "will be" so, it is in future time . this is logic. no thing wrong.

mistake in official question?

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Re: Women are expected to be the majority of students entering   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2016, 02:13

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ]