GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 03:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Women receive fewer speeding tickets than men do. Women also have lowe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
Women receive fewer speeding tickets than men do. Women also have lowe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 00:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (01:14) correct 45% (01:18) wrong based on 217 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Women receive fewer speeding tickets than men do. Women also have lower car insurance rates. It is clear that women are better drivers than men. The preceding conclusion is based on which of the following assumptions?

I. Men and women drive cars equal distances and with equal frequency.
II. Having lower car insurance rates indicates that one is a better driver than those who have higher rates.
III. Speeding tickets are equally awarded for violations without any gender bias on the part of police officers.

(A) I only
(B) III only
(C) I and III only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

S
GPA: 3.1
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Women receive fewer speeding tickets than men do. Women also have lowe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Feb 2019, 06:48
In my opinion , it should be C ,

1. If we negate this, it will weaken the conclusion .
2. Negation will not have any impact on conclusion
3. If we negate it , It will weaken the conclusion .
Math Expert
V
Re: Women receive fewer speeding tickets than men do. Women also have lowe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Feb 2019, 02:14
Bunuel wrote:
Women receive fewer speeding tickets than men do. Women also have lower car insurance rates. It is clear that women are better drivers than men. The preceding conclusion is based on which of the following assumptions?

I. Men and women drive cars equal distances and with equal frequency.
II. Having lower car insurance rates indicates that one is a better driver than those who have higher rates.
III. Speeding tickets are equally awarded for violations without any gender bias on the part of police officers.

(A) I only
(B) III only
(C) I and III only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

As always, read the question first. Because it references assumptions, we bet you figured out pretty quickly that it’s a seeking-assumptions question.

Next, read through the argument and try to figure out the assumption or assumptions the author makes in reaching the conclusion that women are better drivers. The author moves from the premises to the conclusion pretty quickly and assumes that fewer speeding tickets and lower car insurance rates indicate better driving skills. The author also assumes that men and women have equal driving experiences. Use this information to examine each of your options.

Look at Statement I first. It fits with your second observation that men and women experience equal driving situations, so eliminate any answer choices that don’t include Statement I. This means that you can get rid of Choices (B) and (D), which leaves you with Choices (A), (C), and (E).

Before you continue reading through your options, examine the remaining answer choices. You’ll see that it’s best to examine Statement II next, because if it’s true, you won’t even have to read Statement III; you’ll know the answer is Choice (E). You have to read Statement III only if you determine that Statement II isn’t an assumption. (For more about strategies for answering Roman numeral questions, see Chapter 2.)

The information in Statement II links the author’s last premise, that women have lower insurance rates, to the conclusion that women are better drivers. Thus, Statement II is also correct. You can eliminate Choices (A) and (C), and by process of elimination, the answer must be Choice (E). If you read through Statement III, you’ll confirm that it, too, is an assumption the author makes about men and women having an equal playing field in the driving game.

If you find seeking-assumption questions to be tricky, try arguing the opposite position. For example, in the sample question, you could’ve taken the opposing view, that men are better drivers. This means you’ll be looking for ways to undermine the conclusion. If you assume the premises to be true, the best way to attack the conclusion is to show that the author assumes things that aren’t true. For example, you may argue that men have more accidents because they drive more, they get more tickets because police are less forgiving with male speeders, and they have higher car insurance rates because they drive more-expensive cars. Those counterarguments expose the author’s assumptions!
B
CAT Tests
Re: Women receive fewer speeding tickets than men do. Women also have lowe  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2019, 22:44
why does statement I have to be considered as an assumption?
Manager
Manager
G
Schools: Anderson '21, LBS '21
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Mar 2019, 23:48
Leonaann wrote:
why does statement I have to be considered as an assumption?

Hey Leonaann

Statement 1 Says : For a conclusion to be made about the better driver between Men and Women we need to assume that both of them drive equal distances with same frequency.

For example : Two of your friends are asked to drive 1 km on a a very rough track and you are about to decide the better driver.

One of your friends drive 100 meters with very smooth driving and the other drives 1 km with just 2 hiccups. Does that make him a worse driver ? No right.

For frequency consider the above example with 5 laps.

One friend : 1 lap : 100% safe
Other friend : 5 laps : 90% safe.

I hope this helps.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Women receive fewer speeding tickets than men do. Women also have lowe   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2019, 23:48

Women receive fewer speeding tickets than men do. Women also have lowe

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics