Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [154]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64905 [28]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [27]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [14]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.89
WE:Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Women who are married sleep more soundly than women who have never [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I'm not buying the explanation.

B. Getting married does not lead to oversleep. Oversleeping is not mentioned AT ALL in the argument. Does it help? Does it hurt? We don't know. We only know UP TO 8 hours is helpful. So who cares if getting married DOES lead to oversleeping? This option is out of scope and does not help the argument.

B seems just as unhelpful to the argument as E. These "other" sources drive me nuts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 724 [3]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Women who are married sleep more soundly than women who have never [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Reading the question: Usually, in a strengthen question, we will look for the greatest weakness and then a strengthener that patches that weakness, because there is no greater way to strengthen an argument. But here we have a NOT question, so the correct answer is likely to be a weakener or be irrelevant. We'll use a basic filter: what answer choice weakens the idea that getting married makes a woman sleep longer and hence live longer?

Applying the filter: (A) patches a weak connection between dying prematurely and having a longer life expectancy. So (A) is a strengthener and hence is NOT the answer. Choice (B) also strengthens the argument, because it removes a problem and the prompt mentions specifically sleeping "up to 8 hours." So (B) is out. Choice (C) also removes a problem, that of an unintended consequence. So (C) is out. Choice (D) patches a weak connection between soundness of sleep and amount of sleep, so it's a strengthener and is out. Choice (E) may sound irrelevant initially, but it weakens the argument. It's saying that getting married isn't the cause of sleeping better; the cause, rather, is being the type of person, psychologically, who's likely to get married. It weakens the causal argument by establishing a different cause than the one given. The correct answer is (E).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [2]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Re: Women who are married sleep more soundly than women who have never [#permalink]
Kudos
I think both b and e are not strengthener.

These are the facts we know:
Sound sleep good
Comparison bet <6 and <=8. <6 is worse than <=8. So anything between 6 to 8 is good. Below that is bad but we dont know anything about more than 8.

Also sound sleep doesnt mean if you spent morethan 8 its not sound. You dont knowthat.

So whether it lead to oversleep,whose defn a question mark in itself, or not,wont help to strengthen the argument at all.

E.address psychology of married women that lead to sound sleep. Well whatever the reason is, sound sleep is there. We are not interested in reason

Sent from my Moto G (4) using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Kudos
I am not convinced with the answer E .
In my view , whatever may be the reason behind sleeping , marriage is leading to sound sleeping . So it is strengthening the argument . Please help me where I am going wrong .. Thanks in advance ..!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Send PM
Kudos
B: Getting married does not lead to oversleep. If you want it to necessarily mean something it can mean "a married woman will not sleep more than 8 hours". The married woman will sleep more than the woman who never married or lost a partner, this will however be less than 8 hours, this new information makes Choice B relevant to the question above and thus can not be considered irrelevant. It also goes to show that B actually does strengthen the argument as it allows us to keep the duration of sleep for a married woman <=8 and more than the other two categories of woman we are comparing with thus helping us understand that sleep duration within the 6-8 hour period will favour married over unmarried/partner lost.

I apologise for my verbose two cents. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
E reverses the cause and effect relationship....sleep causes marriage rather than marriage causes sleep in the argument. Therefore it does nothing to strengthen the argument. In fact it offers an alternative explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
E simply restates the fact mentioned in the premise.
It is not adding any value to the argument.

B, on the other hand is a good contender but I think somehow the linkage of sound sleep and hours of sleep is addressed by it.
So, it may be a strengthener.

--
Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [5]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
b9n920 wrote:
Women who are married sleep more soundly than women who have never married or lost a partner, according to research from an eight-year study. Furthermore, it is well established that sleeping less than six hours a night makes you 12% more likely to die prematurely than someone who sleeps up to eight hours. Therefore, getting married increases a woman's life expectancy.

Which of the following, if true, does NOT strengthen the argument above?

A. Populations with lower odds of premature death have higher life expectancies.

B. Getting married does not lead to oversleep.

C. Marriage may introduce lifespan-shortening factors into a woman's life, but these factors tend to be collectively of less consequence than the benefit of sounder sleep.

D. Not sleeping soundly is the key reason women who cannot sleep at least eight hours a night fail to do so.

E. The psychology of women who marry is, on average, more conducive to sound sleep than that of women who have never married or lost a partner.

I agree with the OA "E" to be a non-strengthener, but "B" is also a non-strengthener.

B. Getting married does not lead to oversleep.: This means a woman is sleeping more than 6 hour not because of marriage as marriage does not lead to oversleeping

E. The psychology of women who marry is, on average, more conducive to sound sleep than that of women who have never married or lost a partner: Psychology is a trait of personality, and hence it is already existing in the women who marry, so its not the marriage that induce the woman to sleep more.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
The answer seems to be B but official answer from the person who posted the question is E. can you please step in and provide the correct answer?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [0]
Given Kudos: 178
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kelzie01 wrote:

B. Getting married does not lead to oversleep. Oversleeping is not mentioned AT ALL in the argument. Does it help? Does it hurt? We don't know. We only know UP TO 8 hours is helpful. So who cares if getting married DOES lead to oversleeping? This option is out of scope and does not help the argument.

B seems just as unhelpful to the argument as E. These "other" sources drive me nuts.

Hi,

Psychology is the root cause that causes women to get married as well as to sleep sound.

Since it is a 3rd cause that causes both and affects the conditionally, it is correct.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Ashokshiva wrote:
Kelzie01 wrote:

Hi,

Psychology is the root cause that causes women to get married as well as to sleep sound.

Since it is a 3rd cause that causes both and affects the conditionally, it is correct.

Thanks

Are you trying to find a weakener or non-strengther?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [1]
Given Kudos: 178
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.7
Send PM