Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [5]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.3
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.3
WE:Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Woodrow Wilson was referring to the liberal idea of the [#permalink]
It can be inferred from the passage that the author most probably thinks that giving the disenfranchised “a piece of the action” is

(A) a compassionate, if misdirected, legislative measure
(B) an example of Americans’ resistance to profound social change
(C) an innovative program for genuine social reform
(D) a monument to the efforts of industrial reformers
(E) a surprisingly “Old World” remedy for social ills

could someone explain this question please, how is the answer B
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
BankerBro wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
piyush1995 wrote:
I found the language of the passage really complex and highly convoluted. The more questions I answered, I feel the less I actually understood the passage. I request someone to summarize the passage with special emphasis on question 7 and 9.

As described in the Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners, it helps to get engaged and think about the PURPOSE of each paragraph. You might not understand all of the details in the first paragraph, but force yourself to think about WHY it is there. What is the author trying to accomplish?

I might not get everything the author says, but I see that he/she is comparing two drastically different things. The "Old World" economics are described by words/phrases such as settled possessiveness, cupidity of retention, a 'status quo' defended, property, haves and have-nots, non-starters, stability, and authority. Meanwhile, the "liberal idea of the economic market" in America is described with words/phrases such as unsettling deprivation, cupidity of seizure, 'status quo' attacked, a wheel spinning faster and faster, opportunity (not property), and mobility (not stability), with speculators/self-starters/runners being economic leaders and agents of change.

These comparisons are not all clear to me, but instead of trying to muscle my way through the facts (the what), let me think about the purpose (the why) of the first paragraph. The author is clearly trying to compare the "settled" and "stable" state of "Old World" economics to the instability and hectic nature of the free enterprise system in America. In other words, the first paragraph compares the highly-regulated and manipulated race of the Old World to the hectic and scrambled race of the free enterprise system.

The purpose of the second paragraph is to explain how things like reform, serving others, and helping those in need have been hindered because America can't let go of the "race". American legends glorify the race and those that run it but not those who quietly keep the system working and create social interdependence and stability. I might not understand all of the details of the second paragraph, but I see that the author is explaining problems with America's economic "racing".

Next, ask yourself, "What was the purpose of the entire passage?" Again, the point is to get engaged and think about what you are reading. Trying to think about WHY everything is there is more important than understanding all of the details.

See if that helps you tackle questions 7 and 9!

To post additional questions not already addressed in this thread, feel free to use the request verbal experts' reply button. Try to be as specific as possible and to let us know your thoughts so far. Thanks, and welcome to GMAT Club!!

GMATNinja

What is the difference between "Primary Purpose" (as asked in 1st question) and "Main Point" (as asked in 9th question) of the passage ?
Kindly explain in the context of this passage. How to differentiate between the two ?

It’s probably not the best idea to get into comparing one question to another. We’re far better off taking each question (and each answer choice for that matter) individually and then going through a systematic process of elimination.

That being said, the primary purpose of the passage (Q1) is why the author wrote the passage, whereas the main point (Q9) is what the author has communicated by writing the passage. It’s a subtle distinction, and likely one of questionable value, but perhaps it’s helpful to think of it as two sides of the same coin. The primary purpose is why the author puts what he/she does into the passage (the author’s perspective), and the main point is what the reader is supposed to get out of the passage.

While the two concepts are different, they’re definitely related. This can be seen in the answers to questions 1 and 9. The author’s primary purpose is to “criticize the inflexibility of American economic mythology.” That’s why the author wrote this passage. But his/her main point is “the myth of the American free enterprise system is seriously flawed.” That’s what the author claims in order to criticize the American economic mythology.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
BankerBro wrote:
Can anyone please help in explaining how the author is criticizing the American Idea of continuous change? Which lines in the passage actually signify that the author is criticizing? Where is that mentioned that the American idea is flawed?

The American idea of continuous change is criticized throughout the third paragraph of the passage. While the entire paragraph identifies the flaws of this idea, the final sentence of the passage offers a particularly strong denunciation. It says, “There is no honor but in the Wonderland race we must all run, all trying to win, none winning in the end (for there is no end).”

The idea is that the constant change of the American economy has created a race with no end. As a result, everybody is forced to run and compete, but nobody wins. This sentence is supported by the rest of the third paragraph which points out the flaws of and lack of stability in the American economy.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Can anyone explain Q5's solution please?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
nitya34 wrote:
No sarcasm at all,Icandy
you are the Guru in RC.
I am just learning the tricks

Are you asking abt this one?which I got right too

6. Which of the following metaphors could the author most appropriately use to summarize his own assessment of the American economic system (lines 35-60)?

(A) A windmill
(B) A waterfall
(C) A treadmill
(D) A gyroscope
(E) A bellows

I opted for treadmill because "its in continuously running" mode resembling "American economic system "
check the last line--#60
"There is no honor but in the Wonderland race we must all run, all trying to win, none winning in the end (for there is no end)."
sent PM to you,pls check,icandy

Hi VeritasKarishma GMATNinja CrackVerbalGMAT

How we can say treadmill is continuously running,it also stops.Why "waterfall" cannot be considered continuously running item here as it keeps on flowing/running unless its source of water gets dried up.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply

Question 5

reyzr23 wrote:
Can anyone explain Q5's solution please?

Check out our earlier analysis of this question here and let us know whether that clears things up!

Question 6

AkhilAggarwal wrote:
nitya34 wrote:
No sarcasm at all,Icandy
you are the Guru in RC.
I am just learning the tricks

Are you asking abt this one?which I got right too

6. Which of the following metaphors could the author most appropriately use to summarize his own assessment of the American economic system (lines 35-60)?

(A) A windmill
(B) A waterfall
(C) A treadmill
(D) A gyroscope
(E) A bellows

I opted for treadmill because "its in continuously running" mode resembling "American economic system "
check the last line--#60
"There is no honor but in the Wonderland race we must all run, all trying to win, none winning in the end (for there is no end)."
sent PM to you,pls check,icandy

Hi VeritasKarishma GMATNinja CrackVerbalGMAT

How we can say treadmill is continuously running,it also stops.Why "waterfall" cannot be considered continuously running item here as it keeps on flowing/running unless its source of water gets dried up.

The following lines sum up the author’s assessment of the American economic system:

Quote:
There is no honor but in the Wonderland race we must all run, all trying to win, none winning in the end (for there is no end).

In other words, the American economic system is like a race where no one wins. Similarly, a treadmill allows you to run without making any progress; this makes it a good metaphor for the American economic system, so (C) is correct.

A waterfall provides continuous motion, but it does not relate to the idea of a race without progress. So (B) is out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
GMATNinja, can you please help me to identify where in the passage answer to the third question in the q8 has been provided? (I selected C for q8 originally. However, I don't have a clear understanding where in the passage answer to the third question in the q8 has been provided).
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 8

tkorzhan1995 wrote:
GMATNinja, can you please help me to identify where in the passage answer to the third question in the q8 has been provided? (I selected C for q8 originally. However, I don't have a clear understanding where in the passage answer to the third question in the q8 has been provided).

Here's III for question 8:
Quote:
8. The passage contains information that would answer which of the following questions?
III. Has economic policy in the United States tended to reward independent action?

The information to answer this question is sprinkled throughout the passage. In the first paragraph, the author states that "we did not base our system on property but opportunity."

Opportunity for whom? In the second paragraph, we learn that "speculators, self-makers, [and] runners are always using the new opportunities given by our land."

From these two pieces, we can conclude that US economic policy tends to reward independent action. (C) is the correct answer to question 8.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:

Question 5 (+ full passage breakdown)

RandomUuser wrote:
It can be inferred from the passage that the author most probably thinks that giving the disenfranchised “a piece of the action” is

As with most questions, this one relies on a strong grasp of the passage’s overall purpose. So although this question is about one particular line, let’s begin by thinking about the purpose of each paragraph, and how it relates to the quote about “a piece of the action.” (Side note: feel free to check out our Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners for more on reading for purpose).

Let's take a look at the first paragraph:
  • America sees its economic system as based on opportunity and mobility.
  • America sees the "Old World" system as based on property and stability.

Now the second paragraph:
  • America sees "Haves" as "agents of change."
  • America sees "Have-Nots" as wanting "stability, a strong referee to give them some position in the race."

And finally the third paragraph:
  • Reform in America has been ineffective (or "sterile") because its efforts at reform are limited by its view of its economic system as a "race".
  • One example of a "sterile" or ineffective reforms is including more people in the race, so they get a "piece of the action."
  • America would never "call off the race," meaning it would never enact a more extreme reform.
  • Because of America's views of its economic system, the race never ends and no one wins.

So basically, the statement about giving the disenfranchised a "piece of the action" is an example of an ineffective reform which America might enact. Let's now take a look at the question itself.

Quote:

The idea of being misdirected catches my eye, since we know the author thinks giving the disenfranchised “a piece of the action” is an example America’s failed effort at reform. But is it a legislative measure? Well, we don’t get any specifics about these reforms, so we have no basis to consider them “legislative measures.” But is it compassionate? I doubt it. The author clearly has some negative views of America’s economic system (“There is no honor in the Wonderland race we must all run…”), so compassionate doesn’t fit very well.

(A) is out.

Quote:

Right off the bat, I like that this identifies the statement as an example. Based on our reading, the purpose of the statement “a piece of the action” was to give an example of why America’s efforts at reform are sterile, so that makes sense. What about “resistance to profound social change?” Well, the passage says these efforts at reform are like allowing more people to compete in the race, as opposed to calling off the race. In other words, they are small efforts at reform that ultimately fail. And because these reforms fail, America is unable to produce “profound social change.”

Okay, so far so good. But what about the word profound? Well, America is willing to allow more competitors in the race, but not to call off the race. So while it makes small changes, it is unable to make large changes. So the word profound makes sense as well.

Let’s hold on to (B).

Quote:

Uh, no. The whole point is that this is an example of failed reform. Eliminate (C).

Quote:

Again, the quote is an example of how America’s views of its economic system cause it to fail at social reform. So it’s not a positive testament (i.e. a monument) to reformers of any kind. (D) is out.

Quote:

Okay, a “remedy for social ills” catches my ear. This is an example of a reform to America’s economic system, which is arguably a “remedy for social ills,” so that isn’t terrible.

But is it an “Old World” remedy? Well, the quote was an example of America’s effort at reform. And if we go back to the first paragraph, we see that America’s views of its economic system (mobility and opportunity) were contrasted to the Old World views (stability and property). So really, this answer choice has it backwards. It’s not an Old World remedy, but an example of a typical American remedy. Eliminate (E).

So we are left with (B) as the answer to question 5.

Hope that helps!

(1)
Earlier In the 1st para, it is mentioned that-
Old World” categories of settled possessiveness versus unsettling deprivation
- According to this “Old World” values were based on property

Then it was mentioned later in the same para-
We did not base our system on property - Why is "DID" mentioned here? I am confused whether "DID" is referring to old world times.
- According to this “Old World” values were NOT based on property
Please clarify.

(2)
In the 2nd para, it is mentioned that-
The nonstarters were considered the ones who wanted stability, a strong referee to give them some position in the race - The race mentioned here is referring to the race of change

Then In the 3rd para, it is mentioned that-
“Reform” in America has been sterile because it can imagine no change except through the extension of this metaphor of a race, wider inclusion of competitors, “a piece of the action,” as it were, for the disenfranchised. There is no attempt to call off the race
- First of all, the main point of the passage was there should be the race of change and here it is talking about calling off the race. Why?
- 2nd, it should talk about the same race which the passage was talking about in para 2, right? - Reason: "The Race" mentioned both places.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 553
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V42 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi everyone, I'm rather new to GMAT Club.

Got 8/9 correct but felt my performance was almost completely luck-based (maybe a bit of impostor syndrome there)

I think I focused on the meaning of each paragraph, on the WHY, and I think I managed to grasp it quite successfully, but on some questions I felt lost and had to guess 50/50 since POE could not always get me to a definitive answer.

GMATNinja could you please explain why the Answer of Q9 is D and not B?
Thank you so much for the passage analysis above, it helped me make sense of what I could not understand while reading.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rohitrajishu wrote:
(1)
Earlier In the 1st para, it is mentioned that-
Old World” categories of settled possessiveness versus unsettling deprivation
- According to this “Old World” values were based on property

Then it was mentioned later in the same para-
We did not base our system on property - Why is "DID" mentioned here? I am confused whether "DID" is referring to old world times.
- According to this “Old World” values were NOT based on property
Please clarify.

(2)
In the 2nd para, it is mentioned that-
The nonstarters were considered the ones who wanted stability, a strong referee to give them some position in the race - The race mentioned here is referring to the race of change

Then In the 3rd para, it is mentioned that-
“Reform” in America has been sterile because it can imagine no change except through the extension of this metaphor of a race, wider inclusion of competitors, “a piece of the action,” as it were, for the disenfranchised. There is no attempt to call off the race
- First of all, the main point of the passage was there should be the race of change and here it is talking about calling off the race. Why?
- 2nd, it should talk about the same race which the passage was talking about in para 2, right? - Reason: "The Race" mentioned both places.

To address your first question: Americans completely changed certain "Old World" frameworks. In the Old World (not America), stability was based on maintaining the status quo. People high up on the economic chain in this system -- those who had property -- wanted stability so they could keep that property. In America, stability was based on constant change and new opportunity. People high up on the economic chain in this NEW system -- those who were "economic leaders" -- wanted change so that they could seize new opportunities.

So, in the Old World the system was built on property and stability meant keeping that property. In America, by contrast, people wanted change so that they could seize new opportunities.

For your second question: The point of the passage is definitely not that we should continue this race -- the author thinks that the race kind of sucks. That's most apparent in the last line of the passage: "There is no honor but in the Wonderland race we must all run, all trying to win, none winning in the end (for there is no end)."

The "race" is the American economic system, in which there are always more and more opportunities for "self-starters." Even people who don't like this system and call for "reform" don't go far enough, according to the author. These reformers want to make the race a bit more fair, but they still think there should be a race.

The author, on the other hand, thinks that the race as a whole is no good. There are no winners, and lots of people (social workers, employees, etc.), are not honored in this system. That's why the author discusses calling off the race.

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 9

juri01m wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm rather new to GMAT Club.

Got 8/9 correct but felt my performance was almost completely luck-based (maybe a bit of impostor syndrome there)

I think I focused on the meaning of each paragraph, on the WHY, and I think I managed to grasp it quite successfully, but on some questions I felt lost and had to guess 50/50 since POE could not always get me to a definitive answer.

GMATNinja could you please explain why the Answer of Q9 is D and not B?
Thank you so much for the passage analysis above, it helped me make sense of what I could not understand while reading.

Welcome to GMAT Club, juri01m!

Question 9 asks for the main idea of the passage. Here's (B) again:
Quote:
(B) The absence of a status quo ante has undermined United States economic structure.

The author discusses America's lack of a "status quo ante" in the first paragraph, when he/she is contrasting the Old World system with the American system.

Later, the author does criticize the American system -- but he/she never pins that criticism to the point about the status quo ante. In other words, the status quo ante thing isn't what undermines the US economic structure. The author certainly doesn't advocate for going back to something like the Old World system, which did cling to a status quo ante. Instead, the author just points out that the American system as a whole has many flaws.

Because the author doesn't argue that this issue in particular is what undermined the US economic structure, eliminate (B).

Here's (D):
Quote:
(D) The myth of the American free enterprise system is seriously flawed.

(D) is more broad than (B), which makes it a much better fit for the main idea of this particular passage. The author first describes the American free enterprise system, and then points out several flaws in that system.

(D) is the correct answer for question 9.

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 259 [0]
Given Kudos: 303
Send PM

GMATNinja wrote:

Question 5 (+ full passage breakdown)

RandomUuser wrote:

As with most questions, this one relies on a strong grasp of the passage’s overall purpose. So although this question is about one particular line, let’s begin by thinking about the purpose of each paragraph, and how it relates to the quote about “a piece of the action.” (Side note: feel free to check out our Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners for more on reading for purpose).

Let's take a look at the first paragraph:
  • America sees its economic system as based on opportunity and mobility.
  • America sees the "Old World" system as based on property and stability.

Now the second paragraph:
  • America sees "Haves" as "agents of change."
  • America sees "Have-Nots" as wanting "stability, a strong referee to give them some position in the race."

And finally the third paragraph:
  • Reform in America has been ineffective (or "sterile") because its efforts at reform are limited by its view of its economic system as a "race".
  • One example of a "sterile" or ineffective reforms is including more people in the race, so they get a "piece of the action."
  • America would never "call off the race," meaning it would never enact a more extreme reform.
  • Because of America's views of its economic system, the race never ends and no one wins.

So basically, the statement about giving the disenfranchised a "piece of the action" is an example of an ineffective reform which America might enact. Let's now take a look at the question itself.

Quote:

The idea of being misdirected catches my eye, since we know the author thinks giving the disenfranchised “a piece of the action” is an example America’s failed effort at reform. But is it a legislative measure? Well, we don’t get any specifics about these reforms, so we have no basis to consider them “legislative measures.” But is it compassionate? I doubt it. The author clearly has some negative views of America’s economic system (“There is no honor in the Wonderland race we must all run…”), so compassionate doesn’t fit very well.

(A) is out.

Quote:

Right off the bat, I like that this identifies the statement as an example. Based on our reading, the purpose of the statement “a piece of the action” was to give an example of why America’s efforts at reform are sterile, so that makes sense. What about “resistance to profound social change?” Well, the passage says these efforts at reform are like allowing more people to compete in the race, as opposed to calling off the race. In other words, they are small efforts at reform that ultimately fail. And because these reforms fail, America is unable to produce “profound social change.”

Okay, so far so good. But what about the word profound? Well, America is willing to allow more competitors in the race, but not to call off the race. So while it makes small changes, it is unable to make large changes. So the word profound makes sense as well.

Let’s hold on to (B).

Quote:

Uh, no. The whole point is that this is an example of failed reform. Eliminate (C).

Quote:

Again, the quote is an example of how America’s views of its economic system cause it to fail at social reform. So it’s not a positive testament (i.e. a monument) to reformers of any kind. (D) is out.

Quote:

Okay, a “remedy for social ills” catches my ear. This is an example of a reform to America’s economic system, which is arguably a “remedy for social ills,” so that isn’t terrible.

But is it an “Old World” remedy? Well, the quote was an example of America’s effort at reform. And if we go back to the first paragraph, we see that America’s views of its economic system (mobility and opportunity) were contrasted to the Old World views (stability and property). So really, this answer choice has it backwards. It’s not an Old World remedy, but an example of a typical American remedy. Eliminate (E).

So we are left with (B) as the answer to question 5.

Hope that helps!

­GMATNinja , You wrote  that "Okay, so far so good. But what about the word profound? Well, America is willing to allow more competitors in the race, but not to call off the race. So while it makes small changes, it is unable to make large changes. So the word profound makes sense as well." .
Please help me understand which sentence in the passage makes you  say that "America was able to make small changes". GMATNinja KarishmaB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
i am facing problem in understanding this comprehension I guess because I just started doing this so if anyone can help ?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618887 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply

arshu38 wrote:
i am facing problem in understanding this comprehension I guess because I just started doing this so if anyone can help ?

­
The question has been extensively and in-depth discussed over the previous two pages. Take your time going through the discussion carefully. If anything remains unclear, feel free to ask specific questions!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 5

sayan640 wrote:
­GMATNinja , You wrote  that "Okay, so far so good. But what about the word profound? Well, America is willing to allow more competitors in the race, but not to call off the race. So while it makes small changes, it is unable to make large changes. So the word profound makes sense as well." .

Please help me understand which sentence in the passage makes you  say that "America was able to make small changes". GMATNinja KarishmaB

­On the broadest level, in this passage the author critiques the "free enterprise system," which he/she likens to an athletic race. This system, according to the author, leads to all sort of problems: we don't honor people who make the system run (e.g., office clerks and social workers), we don't value our interdependence, and no one actually ever wins the race.

So, is anyone trying to fix this broken system? Yes -- the author mentions reformers at the beginning of the third paragraphs. The author isn't too happy with these people, though. He/she says that reform has been "sterile" because reformers can only conceive of small changes, such as "wider inclusion of competitors."

The problem with this, according to the author, is that the reformers are still locked into the metaphorical race. A much bigger change would be to call off the race altogether and come up with a totally different system.

That's why (B) works for question 5: we can infer that the author sees the small changes are just bandaids that show how resistant America is to the much bigger change.

I hope that helps!­
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts