Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1919 [1]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2224 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: Work Plan, Methodology and Hard Questions [#permalink]
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Work Plan, Methodology and Hard Questions [#permalink]
Hello,

First, thank you very much to all of you for your replies.

I will try to clarify my initial message for you guys.

At the end of June I ‘‘started ’’ the Gmat journey. I did some questions from the OG Book randomly for 3 weeks, I studied few hours per week sometimes 2h sometimes 0 for several days, it was very chaotic.
I decided to take a blank Test (ManhattanPrep Test) the 14 July and scored 550.(Q38 V28). I was disappointed but it was kind of expected and deserved.

I decided to really take this seriously and really get involved into my Gmat journey, Gmat is pretty much obsessing me right now. So I Decided to find a good study plan and as mentioned I applied the same methodology as presented in post mentioned.
But thanks to you EMPOWERgmatRichC I read the post regarding the study plan so I modified mine a little : When I have finished a book I will do sets of 10-20 questions in this specific area (for example : Algebra) and until I have more than 90% accuracy two times in a row I won’t start another book.
I focus on quality and better understanding instead of quantity.

As you suggest I will take a new CAT this week end and post my score here when it’s done but I don’t think that in 10 days my score will improve too much...

Okay for the speed and accuracy part, so focus on the accuracy for the moment. Which mean I need to stop timing myself and trying to do every problem as fast as possible? Don’t you think I will develop a bad habit of going to slow?

Regarding your questions about my studies and goals :

1) For the past 10 Days : 4h/day during the week and 6h/day during the week-ends.

2) The materials I use is :
- Manhattan Prep Books (full set of books)
- Manhattan Prep App (Lot of Questions filtered by Area and Topic )
- OG 2019
- Ron’s Video, there is a post on this forum with all of his video (Very useful for the methodology for DS problem)

I am considering buying the Gmat Club Tests.

Do you think I should have other study materials ?

3) I plan to pass it in the beginning of October but If I am not ready my final deadline is mid –December. Mid-december I need to have my final Gmat score.

4) First round : 23 October 2019 or second round : 8 January 2020.

5) I am planning to apply to a Ms in HEC (in France), it’s not for an MBA yet, but a score of 700+ is required.
I am currently in an engineering school and I want to work in a big Strategy consulting firm and this Ms is a good way to be able to pass the screening and get a chance to be short-listed for the interview sessions.

I hope it clarify few things.

Thank you, once again, for your help, it is very useful !

I am Looking forward for your reply,

Coggi
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Coggi,

One of the reasons why you should take CATs at regular intervals is to see whether you've consciously made any adjustments to how you 'respond' to the Exam or not. For example, you now know what some hard/weird questions look like - on this next CAT, how much time are you going to spend trying to answer the hard questions (especially if they involve subject-matter that you have not learned yet)?

Focusing on learning the material/concepts and doing accurate work NOW is essential to gaining the skills needed so that you can do that same type of work in a faster fashion in the future. Assuming that you have a reasonable memory, over time you should be able to spot concepts and patterns that you know, meaning that it shouldn't take you as long to decide how to approach a prompt (nor how to work through the actual 'steps' needed to solve it).

In my earlier post, I mentioned that using a book-heavy study plan might lead to you getting 'stuck' at a certain score level. It's obviously too earlier to determine whether that will happen to you or not, but since you're interested in a Score Goal that approximately 90% of Test Takers cannot achieve, you would likely find it beneficial to invest in a GMAT Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot