It is currently 20 Apr 2018, 15:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Working alone at its own constant rate, a machine seals k

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Re: Working alone at its own constant rate, a machine seals k [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2015, 07:25
pacifist85 wrote:
I used the same aproach as Paresh. So, after finding the comdined rate as 3k/8, I assumed that they work for 1 hour. So, the individual work should be the same as the individual rates, i.e. k/8 for the slower one and k/4 for the faster one. It is then (k/4)/(3k/8).

What I didn't understand in the other approaches is why we used 8 hours as the amount of hours they worked for. I guess, we could also have chosen 4 hours or any other amount of hours?

LCM of 4 & 8 is 8..... Its just for ease of calculation...... :)

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2015, 16:09
Hi pacifist85,

Here's an interesting "drill" that you can do to help develop this skill. Go back and review all of the past Quant questions that you've done and look for situations in which TESTing VALUES is applicable. When you come across those questions, look for the various "clues" in the prompt that would help you make a smart choice for the value(s) that you'd pick. Look for what's listed in the answers, the wording/descriptions in the prompt, any fractions that you're given, etc. For example, when I see the % sign in the answers, my first thought is that I might be able to TEST the number 100 in this question... In this way, you'll be training to not only spot the potential uses for this tactic, but you'll also be training to test the values that will make solving the problem most efficient.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 3: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 5: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 6: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 7: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT 8: 730 Q50 V39

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2015, 23:07
In 8 hours, first machine will seal k cartons and second machine, the faster one, will seal 2k cartons.
Total work done = 3k
2k/3k = 66 2/3%, so D
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.88
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User
Working alone at its own constant rate, a machine seals k [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2015, 13:30
anilnandyala wrote:
Working alone at its own constant rate, a machine seals k cartoons in 8 hours, and working at its own constant rate a second machine seals k cartoons in 4 hours. if 2 machines each working at its own constant rate and for the same period of time together sealed a certain no of cartoons. what percentage of the cartoons were sealed by the machine working at the faster rate?

A. 25%
B. 33 1/3%
C. 50%
D. 66 2/3%
E. 75%

Rate A = \(\frac{1}{8}\), Rate B =\(\frac{1}{4}\) --> \(\frac{Rate A}{Rate B}=\frac{1}{8}*\frac{4}{1} = \frac{1}{2}\) So the faster rate has 2 of 3 --> 66 2/3% Answer D

When you’re up, your friends know who you are. When you’re down, you know who your friends are.

Share some Kudos, if my posts help you. Thank you !

800Score ONLY QUANT CAT1 51, CAT2 50, CAT3 50
GMAT PREP 670
MGMAT CAT 630
KAPLAN CAT 660

Expert Post
Target Test Prep Representative
G
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2018, 11:03
study wrote:
Working alone at its own constant rate, a machine seals k cartons in 8 hours, and working alone at its own constant rate, a second machine seals k cartons in 4 hours. If the two machines, each working at its own constant rate and for the same period of time, together sealed a certain number of cartons, what percent of the cartons were sealed by the machine working at the faster rate?

A. \(25%\)

B. \(33\frac{1}{3}%\)

C. \(50%\)

D. \(66\frac{2}{3}%\)

E. \(75%\)

Since the second machine can seal k cartons in 4 hours, it can seal 2k cartons in 8 hours, whereas the first machine can seal only k cartons in 8 hours. So the second machine is twice as fast as the first machine and thus it will seal twice as many cartons as the the first machine. Therefore, when working together, the second machine (the faster machine) will finish ⅔ or 66⅔% of the work whereas the first machine (the slower machine) will finish ⅓ or 33⅓% of the work.

Alternate Solution:

In 8 hours, the slower machine will seal k cartons, and the faster machine will seal 2k cartons. In total, k + 2k = 3k cartons will be sealed, and, of these cartons, the faster machine will seal 2k/3k = 2/3 = 66 ⅔% of them.

Answer: D

Jeffery Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

Re: Working alone at its own constant rate, a machine seals k   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2018, 11:03

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Working alone at its own constant rate, a machine seals k

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap