GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 23 Jan 2020, 17:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Working Professional Program (UF) or The College of William & Mary(FT)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Career Switcher-FT Program ( Mason) vs. Working Professional Program

• 50% [2]
  • 50% [2]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Working Professional Program (UF) or The College of William & Mary(FT)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2015, 21:43
I was hoping the forum could help me with a major dilemma I am having.

Background: I am currently 24 with three years of full-time work experience in the retail sector. I have worked with the same company for the past five years and have received four promotions in that time. I am pursuing an MBA to transition into a new career in consulting(Does not need to be MBB). I have an Undergraduate degree from George Mason University in Business Management and graduated with a 3.2 GPA (3.4 within my major). My GMAT is by far the weakest area of my profile.

As an aside, I was dinged by Georgetown, Kelley, UNC and Notre Dame, which I feel is in large part to my GMAT.

I recently received an admit to The College of William & Mary ( Mason) full-time MBA program with a small scholarship. I love the program and feel they can help me land a consulting role, but am not convinced it is the program for me. It is semi-local and has strong ties to the Washington DC area, which is where I currently live and can see myself living. My main worry is placement and if the program is truly great for a career changer?

I also applied to the University of Florida and was denied admissions to the Traditional programs. They did potentially offer me a seat in their working professional program, which would require me to fly out to Florida one weekend a month. I too love the program and am very enticed by the idea of earning an MBA and working/ not graduating with debt. I will be fully self-funding the degree and will be able to fully use the career services department. I do worry about transitioning careers this way. All research I have done clearly indicates attending a two-year program is the best for career changers as they can utilize an internship. Networking would also be more difficult as I would only be required to be on campus once a month.

I am not tied to my current organization and will be willing to leave at any time. I spoke with the Career Services at UF and they indicated that 40% of the class is actively seeking to change careers. I know I can apply for other jobs while attending and can hopefully utilize the fact I am working towards an MBA to get into the door. My main worry is if I forgo the typical route of a two year program, that I may get "stuck" with working in retail. I do not want to tie myself into this career and can see not attending a two year program as a downside.

My question for you is what should I do? Attend the two year program at William and Mary? Do the UF working professional program and not have to worry about debt but perhaps have a more difficult time in my job hunt?

All advice is greatly appreciated
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48
GPA: 3.6
Reviews Badge
Re: Working Professional Program (UF) or The College of William & Mary(FT)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2015, 05:33
I don't know anything about W&M, but if you are confident W&M will help you to land a consulting role, I would go with that. Also, if you want to end up in the DC area, UF is not going to have as strong of a tie with those local firms/recruiters.

I am surprised that 40% of the UF Working Professional students are career switchers. All of the ones I have met are not switching careers. Are you positive that the 40% number is for the WP program only?

Overall, I think FT programs are virtually always better for career switching, because of the emphasis on applying to jobs and finding an internship.

Best of luck in your search.

Note- I did my undergrad at UF.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Re: Working Professional Program (UF) or The College of William & Mary(FT)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2015, 17:39
Thank you for your reply. This decision has been racking my brain and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

The 40% number seemed high to me and I am in touch with their WP career coach to clarify a few questions. If career changing is possible with this option, I would prefer it due to the flexibility and no debt. I will see what career services says take it from there.

Living in DC is not a major consideration. I am a native of the area and have spent my entire life here, but I am no way committed to living here either short or long term.

Anyone else have advice?
VP
VP
B
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012

Show Tags

New post 22 Mar 2015, 19:22
If you are trying to switch into management consulting, it would behoove you to go to a FT program. The internship is a big help in helping you get your foot in the door. It is very difficult to get into management consulting from a part-time program at a lower ranked school. Additionally, GMAT and GPA is important for management consulting recruiting.

You are still young, I would recommend that you boost your GMAT and apply for a higher ranked school (top 15-30). If not, you may not get a big ROI at the end of your MBA.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Working Professional Program (UF) or The College of William & Mary(FT)   [#permalink] 22 Mar 2015, 19:22

Working Professional Program (UF) or The College of William & Mary(FT)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste