Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Broad, McCombs
 Q40  V49
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: Worried About Undergrad School [#permalink]
nink wrote:
Unless you went to a school called University of Phoenix (basically paying tuition for a degree), you have nothing to worry about.

Brand of your UG institution has nothing to do with your qualification. I've met a lot of students from obscure state universities who are now matriculating at some of the top bschools.

In addition, I've also met a Chicago Booth MBA alumni with undergraduate degree from DeVry University......true story. (He was exceptionally brilliant, so your UG has nothing to do with your qualification)

Hey don't knock my alma mater U of Phoenix. I didn't pay for my degree. I made a "donation" for my degree. It feels better that way. Just kidding.

As nink says, not to worry. What is your overall GPA? If that is low then perhaps you might be at a disadvantage. You mention "major" GPA but what major? Also what is the GMAT breakdown? Those items will be more important than the actual institution.
Intern
Intern
 Q40  V49
Send PM
lagomez wrote:
nink wrote:
Unless you went to a school called University of Phoenix (basically paying tuition for a degree), you have nothing to worry about.

Brand of your UG institution has nothing to do with your qualification. I've met a lot of students from obscure state universities who are now matriculating at some of the top bschools.

In addition, I've also met a Chicago Booth MBA alumni with undergraduate degree from DeVry University......true story. (He was exceptionally brilliant, so your UG has nothing to do with your qualification)

Hey don't knock my alma mater U of Phoenix. I didn't pay for my degree. I made a "donation" for my degree. It feels better that way. Just kidding.

As nink says, not to worry. What is your overall GPA? If that is low then perhaps you might be at a disadvantage. You mention "major" GPA but what major? Also what is the GMAT breakdown? Those items will be more important than the actual institution.

I went to the state school and got a 3.78 overall, but McCombs asks for "major" GPA. I also took summer classes at a local CC and got a 3.72 and took a few 500 level classes at a different local state school to make sure I wanted to go into Finance and got a 3.93.

I'm not sure what my breakdown was on the GMAT, my print out is at home.

Thanks for your replies, I feel much better about my undergrad.
VP
VP
Send PM
gater wrote:
lagomez wrote:
nink wrote:

I went to the state school and got a 3.78 overall, but McCombs asks for "major" GPA. I also took summer classes at a local CC and got a 3.72 and took a few 500 level classes at a different local state school to make sure I wanted to go into Finance and got a 3.93.

I'm not sure what my breakdown was on the GMAT, my print out is at home.

Thanks for your replies, I feel much better about my undergrad.

Breakdown is more important if you have a non-quant degree. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Gater, you have nothing to worry about, you can look on UT's website and see other schools that are represented in the MBA program.

Historically UT doesn't care very much about what school you come from. Pedigree is much more important at the Ultra elite level.
Intern
Intern
 Q40  V49
Send PM
Great! I have an engineering degree and I want to back for a MBA with a Corporate Finance emphasis, so the quant shouldn't be an issue!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
I agree with what everyone else here has stated for the most part, especially as it pertains to UT. Don't kid yourselves into believing that where you went to Ugrad doesn't matter though. Adcoms most definitely take that into account. How much it matters to each school is another story.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
So the honest answer is your school matters...it is definitely something that is evaluated, along with major, etc. That said just because you go to a no name program doesn't mean you can't get into a top school. From my class at a 150 person a year no name school there is a Sloan alum, UCLA alum, and I graduated from Kellogg. Our year is definitely unual but it shows that you can overcome lack of a brand name undergrad.

Your high GPA is and if you are an engineer thats a harder major than getting some joke major from an ivy.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Quote:
Your high GPA is and if you are an engineer thats a harder major than getting some joke major from an ivy.

True that.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
Quote:

True that.

What would qualify as a joke major? History majors that I know, often joked about, do well in law school.
GMAT Club Bot