Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: Would appreciate advice on profile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
jjaacc wrote:
pbodine wrote:
jjaacc wrote:
Hi guys,

I would appreciate some advice on whether I should:

1) retake my gmat
2) take toefl instead (because my verbal score is low)
3) use this time to work on other parts of my application

based on the schools I'd interested in.

Thanks!

My profile:

I took my Gmat yesterday. Score was 710 (94%) - with breakdown Q49 (90%) V36 (81%). Verbal was a huge shock to me as I'd been scoring 41-44 on the Gmatprep and ETS software.

The schools I'm applying to are Harvard, Stanford, Chicago GSB, Columbia, Duke - Fuqua & Tuck. The two that I really really want based on my school visits are Stanford GSB and Chicago GSB.

I know schools don't look solely at gmat scores, but I was aiming for a competitive score and right now, I just don't know if its good enough.

Some background history:
Work - 1 year Goldman S&T; 2 years Deloitte Consulting (strategy, financial services industry, promoted after a year in consulting)
School - in Singapore, GPA 3.4, 2nd Upper Honours in Economics.
Demographic: Singaporean Chinese Female
Post-MBA plans: strategy consulting in US.
Activities: Ultimate frisbee - both playing and organising tournaments. Some counselling work with the anti-narcortics association here. (I think I'm a little weak in the volunteerism bit)

Thank you!

jjaacc,

I don't think you need to retake the GMAT, and don't bother taking the TOEFL. You are above the 80th percentile in both verbal and quantitative, so you are fine. If you *do* think you could raise the score by more than 20 points without spending a lot of time preparing then it might be worth a shot (especially if you're scoring higher in practice tests), but your higher priority should be strengthening your leadership profile at work (if you can) and in the community. For example, can you get a role leading people for the anti-narcotics association over the next few months? That would be helpful.

The fact that you are from Singapore and are female helps you, and your GMAT and work experience are hardly negatives. So I wouldn't tell you to drop any of the schools you mentioned from your list.

Good luck!

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the advice. I have been scoring higher in the practice tests (like 770!)...and if I do retake, would take max a month to study (the min amount of time needed to register for the next GMAT anyway). What I'm worried about is - what if I score lower the next time around. How would this affect my application?

I'm ok with my leadership profile at work - have been managing projects for a while. It would be difficult to manage people at the anti-narcotics association though, because we do not work in teams there.

Thanks for reaffirming my school selection, and for all your advice.

Cheers.

jjaacc,

If you are consistently scoring more than 20 points higher on practice tests then I think it's worth the risk that you might get a lower score in your next attempt. Note that you will probably be less nervous during the second attempt, which should help, and that if you do retake and feel you've done worse, you can cancel your score. I don't think the impact of a lower score would be substantial anyway.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Would appreciate advice on profile [#permalink]