GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 04 Apr 2020, 13:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Would love some advice

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Would love some advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2016, 11:33
Help please. I got into both Ross and Fuqua, both with $, but Ross offered slightly more and gave me a Forte Fellowship. My post MBA goal is brand management at a CPG company. For awhile I was pretty set on Ross, but now I keep hearing from different people that the Fuqua 'brand' name is stronger than that of Ross. What do you guys think? Ross or Fuqua?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Would love some advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2016, 12:17
I think this is a matter of perception and opinion. Fuqua is definitely strong in the South and anyone from that part of the country will have a natural view of the Fuqua being superior to Ross.

However, both schools have been quite good in terms of rankings, employment, and salary reports. This is not to say the schools are the same. They have their natural strengths with Fuqua having a strong consulting/healthcare placement and Ross is strong in Consulting and Tech.

My personal experience/impression was that Ross was stronger in CPG but this is purely anecdotal. I would check the employment reports and LinkedIn to see placement numbers in the key companies you are looking to join to verify.

Congratulations on getting into these 2 great programs!

PS. Check out some of the reviews from current students:
http://gmatclub.com/reviews/business_school/ross-8
http://gmatclub.com/reviews/business_school/fuqua-13
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Would love some advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2016, 18:30
dex092612 wrote:
Help please. I got into both Ross and Fuqua, both with $, but Ross offered slightly more and gave me a Forte Fellowship. My post MBA goal is brand management at a CPG company. For awhile I was pretty set on Ross, but now I keep hearing from different people that the Fuqua 'brand' name is stronger than that of Ross. What do you guys think? Ross or Fuqua?

Agree fully with BB on this one.

If you are pretty firm on your goal, I would go with Ross because the midwest is traditionally good for CPG recruitment. If you got into Kellogg, go there with or without scholarship. Ross is very strong across all disciplines so if you pivot there is no big risk.

I don't think Duke's culture will be a fit unless you are gregarious, outgoing and extroverted. So keep that in mind. If you are though, you're home.

Might consider speaking with MBA recruiters at target companies and/or executive CPG recruiters.
Contact these people - this would be a good opportunity to cultivate a relationship
https://www.spencerstuart.com/our-expertise/industries/consumer/consumer-packaged-goods-durables
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Reviews Badge
Re: Would love some advice  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2016, 08:10
Ross and Fuqua cross-admit back in the day here. Both have great CPG recruiting options but will vary in location. Ross will have a bit more traction in the Chicago/Ohio/Minnesota firms so all your big players: P&G, Kellogg's, Wrigleys, etc. Fuqua is stronger in the South and can give you traction with the likes of Walmart in Arkansas or PepsiCo in Dallas.

When you're deciding id look into:
-Location of where you want to be post MBA. This does differ a bit between schools
-Type of firm you want to work at. Do you have a backup in case CPG doesn't work out? Does your school still have good options there?
-Student culture. Are you one for Michigan football tailgating every Saturday in below freezing weather or Blue Devil basketball tenting out in Kville? Either way you'll bleed blue for the next 2 years

In terms of prestige of one or the other, I personally think this is a wash. Everyone has their opinion and you'll find people in favor of both. I've found students at both to very friendly, personable, willing to help, and have HUGE school pride. You'll find outgoing extroverted people at both --and in most MBA programs-- and you'll find more reserved people as well. You'll have to find your niche.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Would love some advice   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2016, 08:10

Would love some advice

new topic post reply Update application status