Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GPA: 3.75
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Would you NOT tell your employer about leaving for bschool? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Wouldn't you at least want to tell the people you were a bit "closer" with?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
kingfalcon wrote:
No, I would (and did) tell them. Unless your coworkers hate you, they'll probably be very happy that you're taking the effort to better yourself. If anything, it will probably make you look better in their eyes.

Agreed, I can honestly say that once my coworkers found out about my plans (coming from an un-traditional function to boot) people were both happy for me, and impressed. Sure there is some resentment here and there, but overall telling everyone was a good experience.

Why are you worried? Are you coming from an industry where MBAs are looked down on (i.e. creative)? If this is the case, it's all about how you present why you are going back.

If you are worried they'll be aware that you were planning on leaving when you took the job... well, there isn't a real way around that... Its best to be a bit up-front about it, but play up how uncertain you were about any of it working out.

IDK, I'm curious as to why you are so apprehensive about going public with this info, especially at a company where you're considering cutting all ties anyway.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
The world can be an awfully small place. At the end of this, you will be a stronger person and have much more to offer. Even if you don't go back to them, you never know when you might run into someone from there again. Being forthcoming (especially when you're not concerned about coming back) will serve you well.

Good luck!

Bhavik
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Plus, could be sort of awkward if any of them LinkedIn you are internet stalk you after you leave and see that you ended up at Bschool when you said you were leaving for some other reason. You never know, a colleague now could end up at a company you want to work for in a couple of years. Even though you're leaving your current industry, you never know.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey mbaquestionasks:

Intriguing question ... Thanks for asking it.

Leaving without telling one is not very professional. The reality is that you are not just going to leave "and not look back." That is, your former co-workers are going to figure it out eventually, and possibly feel stupid. That's bad, by the way.

Now you may not care now, but careers tend to be a bit longer than anyone would like to believe. Your former co-workers won't remember anything you did well, just the fact that you pulled a fast one. For example - what happens if you ever need a reference in the future? That is, a future employer really wants to talk to you boss at this firm? That's a bad thing.

I agree with the general consensus on this thread - Don't do it if you don't have to.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

mbaquestionasks wrote:
Is there a situation when you would NOT tell your employer you were leaving to go to bschool and instead tell them something else (leaving to explore other opportunities, moving closer to family, etc etc)?

Background: I haven't been at this particular company for a long time, and I've gone back and forth about telling them the "real" reason I'm leaving. Sure, it would be great to go around saying I'm getting an MBA, but sometimes I'd rather just leave quietly and not look back. I don't intend to come back to my current industry, but I do realize that cutting all ties could be a risky move if the job market were to spiral downward again.

Thoughts, wise Gmat Club members?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Wow, thank you for all the responses.

I feel like telling them is my business to tell if I want to. Yes, through LinkedIn they'll find out eventually, but that's if they want to stay connected (and not all of them will). I work in an industry/environment with high turnover so no one really notices when another desk is vacated. While I don't want to draw attention to my leaving, I do understand that some bridges shouldn't be burned and I will be telling a few people I am close with. Given everyone's responses, I may actually tell my entire immediate team; you've given me something to think about.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I don't understand why you don't want to tell them? what's the problem? are you afraid of their reaction?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
I'm trying to understand your reason for not wanting to tell them. Why be all sketchy about it, they'll find out one way or another, better to hear it from you. So yes definitely tell your team and immediate managers. You don't need to go publish it or make an announcement to the whole company, but tell those you work directly with and I'm sure they will appreciate that much more than realizing after you're gone that you lied to them.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Another reason I could see is that it is perhaps a bit too late to tell so they will feel weird that you have been applying and planning to leave them for over a year now.

I don't think it matters frankly. I have hided a lot of things from my co workers. Eg most don't know about GMAT club. LOL. And if one day I were leaving to work for GMAT club full time, I may be embarrassed to admit I have been late on assignments and not paying attention in meetings because I was hanging out on the forum. I would not want it to reflect negatively on my integrity... Or the illusion of it at least.

Anyway. Interesting situation. Curious what you end up doing and what the real reason is. (Mine would be guilt for not being honest from the beginning)

Posted from my mobile device.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GPA: 3.7
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
i'm not telling my employer that i am applying, but if/when i get in i will tell them that i'm leaving and why
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Hey All,

There hasn't been activity on this thread for a while, but I think it relates to my current situation very well.

I do ultimately plan on telling my boss that I am applying to business school as I need his recommendation to complete my application. However, I don't know if anyone could contribute a story about how they approached their manager regarding such a sensitive subject.

My situation:
My boss hired me into my current role just about a year ago. He admitted to me that I was definitely on the younger side of all the considered candidates, but that I reminded him of himself when he started 15 years ago. Over the last year he's definitely hinted that he expects me to be here for a long time. When I first started he introduced me to people by also adding the length of time they've been here (which oftentimes was around 10 years). He also mentioned to me the other day that he would be at my "10 year reception" when the time came.

I'm hesitant to talk to him about leaving and getting out of engineering all together, but I know this is definitely one difficult conversation that I must have. Does anyone have any good ideas about how to approach him on this? I was thinking about asking him if he wanted to get lunch and then introduce the news then.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q51  V42
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Send PM
When you don't give a reason people will assume the worst (you left for a competitor, personal issues, you were asked to resign, etc).

Leaving for B-school is actually a great reason to leave a job and your coworkers will be excited for you. Unless you're in a particularly unique situation, I don't know why you wouldn't tell people.
GMAT Club Bot