GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 27 Jan 2020, 16:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

WU(quantitative finance) or Essec(MiF in Singapore)

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

ESSEC   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
WU(quantitative finance) or Essec(MiF in Singapore)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2019, 03:28
Hello!

I’ve received an invitation from Essec Business School (masters in finance) and from Vienna University of Economics and Business (quantitative finance)

I’d like to study finance alongside with computing. Both programs in Vienna and in Singapore (Fintech) perfectly suits me in this regard.

However, my primary goal ideally is to find a job specializing in quants after the graduation in one of the western countries being not a citizen of EU (I’m from Russia).

Both of the programs claim to have a 90% employability, although it is not clear whether this number includes people from “developing” countries who would need job visa and at what rate.

Vienna program is 2 year, which allows me to have an internship on the second year in addition to one year available after graduation without needing a visa.

Essec has a one year program with summer internship 4-6 months. As an advantage of this program, they present a list of famous companies that provides internship. However, again, it is not clear at what rate.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Posted from my mobile device
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance
WU(quantitative finance) or Essec(MiF in Singapore)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2019, 12:58
EldarK wrote:
Hello!

I’ve received an invitation from Essec Business School (masters in finance) and from Vienna University of Economics and Business (quantitative finance)

I’d like to study finance alongside with computing. Both programs in Vienna and in Singapore (Fintech) perfectly suits me in this regard.

However, my primary goal ideally is to find a job specializing in quants after the graduation in one of the western countries being not a citizen of EU (I’m from Russia).

Both of the programs claim to have a 90% employability, although it is not clear whether this number includes people from “developing” countries who would need job visa and at what rate.

Vienna program is 2 year, which allows me to have an internship on the second year in addition to one year available after graduation without needing a visa.

Essec has a one year program with summer internship 4-6 months. As an advantage of this program, they present a list of famous companies that provides internship. However, again, it is not clear at what rate.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Posted from my mobile device

Hello EldarK

You will not make mistake whatever you decide.

I would maybe go for Singapore Fintech option...however when you look at courses and electives there is no much difference between FinTech vs. CF or FM specializations, in terms of exams you can take.

FM should be your second choice, since CF is not that quant tailored.

WU QF program with science and industry track options is almost identical, except research paper vs. industry lab demand.

What I like about WU is optimization and probability as separate exams.

I dont see what exactly is going to be done in Computing, but I doubt it would be anything unpractical and obsolete such as VBA at ESSEC. :-D

It took me some time to dig electives from WU :

https://www.wu.ac.at/fileadmin/wu/h/stu ... nglish.pdf

Final verdict is that if you are not interested in FINTECH then I recommend WU as more quantitative based program.

(Also one year MSQF or MSF is joke in my opinion, I would count as serious only 2 years programs.)

If you are more into knowledge WU wins :geek:

Good Luck on becoming a Quant :geek: :cool:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 580 Q33 V36
Re: WU(quantitative finance) or Essec(MiF in Singapore)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2019, 06:10
Hi,
I can't really advise you which school to choose, however I just wanted to ask you - What was your GMAT score? I'm applying to WU as well and would love to know how much you scored :)
Thanks in advance
GMAT Club Bot
Re: WU(quantitative finance) or Essec(MiF in Singapore)   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2019, 06:10

WU(quantitative finance) or Essec(MiF in Singapore)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste