Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management
Schools: Yale '15 (M$)
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V50
GPA: 3.72
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Law)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [3]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [3]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
I received a R3 invite yesterday.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
WE:Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
I've submitted all paperwork and I'm headed to Haas.

Just wanted to say thank you to OhDenny & Co. for their help and support throughout the admissions process. Good luck to all Yalies, and a special good luck to the waitlister getting my spot! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All,

Like PD2012, I'm also a member of the SOM Class of 2014. Here to throw my hat in to answer any questions from an applicant perspective. Can't speak to a current student perspective yet, but will probably be able to answer questions here and there throughout the academic year, pending not being too insane.

MYCambridge wrote:
Despite being ranked in top 10 by USN, Yale does not seem to place its graduates much better than schools ranked around 11-16. Aside from having better GMAT/GPA stats, what makes Yale superior to other T16 schools? Some even told me Johnson, more established than SOM, has a better reputation in business in general.

Can't attest to that person's experience re: Johnson v. Yale, though from a 'reputation' standpoint, I've heard that the two schools are very different when it comes to curriculum and specialization, but similar when it comes to culture and student makeup. All the same, it's kind of like comparing apples to apple pears.

I also don't think that SOM is 'superior' to the other schools in the T16, at least not in the 'students are better, curriculum is better' kind of way. It may be a factor of being closely integrated with Yale U., or datapoints such as alumni giving (it's 2nd to Tuck), selectivity, or just name recognition bias. In my personal view, none of this really matters. I think what you'll want to do with SOM is visit and see for yourself if it's a place you'll be able to thrive, otherwise, everything else regarding placement is checkboxes: Does Yale place at MBB? Yes. IB/PE/Wealth Management? Yes. Leading CPG or Luxury Companies? Yes. The school as a whole is a great school, but this will also be true of the rest of the T16. Don't let the ranking drive your decision-making.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
kingfalcon wrote:
Out of curiosity, has Yale finished building the new MBA complex?

Not quite. They are saying that it will be done by second semester of next academic year ('13 - '14), but I personally am hoping for a full year in the building. Regardless, us '14ers are going to be the first class to graduate in the building.

I can also tell you that it's looking really impressive of right now. Glass is about 1/2 up, and it looks a lot like the renderings that Norman Foster put together. There's a pretty cool video of Norman Foster speaking to SOM about his design here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjpLIJmtrBw. This is relatively recent - last 2-3 months.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [2]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Slightly embarrassing story: I received a random call from a 302 number this evening. Panicked slightly before answering my phone since I thought maybe Yale calls early? Turns out it was a wrong number...and Yale's area code is actually 203...oops!

Good luck tomorrow, everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.51
WE:General Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
Got the call an hour ago... accepted!

I'm a reapplicant from Montreal, Canada. 5 years WE, McGill undergrad, 730 GMAT, technology.

I was definitely not expecting this since I did not interview, but I was told I did not have to since I interviewed last year. I guess perseverance does pay off!

Good luck to everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
machichi wrote:
Equil1briuM wrote:
By the way, I saw so many applicants from non-profit sector applying to Yale SOM on this thread. I don't know whether Yale's appetite for finance guys like me will increase this year. :(

I'll second what aerian said. At my interview I was the only non-profit person there. I also wanted to add that they're growing the class size (up to 350 in 2017), and my interpretation of what I've heard Dean Snyder say is that the increase will primarily be in the corporate sector. This way, they'll maintain a strong non-profit focus with a cohort whose size will remain pretty static. On the other hand, they will go on to add more students from finance, consulting, etc. in order to lure corporate recruiters to campus knowing they'll have more students to recruit from. Hopefully this scenario creates a win-win for everyone.

i had a completely different experience. during my campus visit i was the only one out of 10-15 prospective students who was interested in finance. it really does seem like a lot of people who are applying to Yale have a non-profit / social entrepreneurship focus but from my conversation with an alum and also looking at their admission stats, there's almost no appreciable difference between the no. of people who go into traditional finance/consulting vs. that at other top schools. so i wouldn't worry about being the odd one out and if anything, being different is always a good thing in the admissions game! :)
Board of Directors
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Congratulations to those who received invites today!! Go celebrate for a bit and then remember to think about why you want to go to Yale (what makes SOM a good fit for you, what unique characteristics does the program offer you and in turn, what can you offer it..).

If you're international I highly doubt they'd penalize you for not visiting campus. Though if you do make the trek, you'll definitely show them you like SOM! Ultimately, it's your decision based on your schedule and your finances for the flight, hotel, etc.

To those still waiting, sit tight. R1 invites went out pretty randomly for about 4-6 weeks or so.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Great newly updated website discussing the SOM Core Curriculum. Both the best visual presentation as well as the best description of classes I've seen. Hope it's useful!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Kudos
skm wrote:
aerien wrote:
mba2527 wrote:
My perspective (US R1 admit / will be attending!)

*Ahem* so, when's Yale going to turn blue in your user profile? :P Join the club with @machichi and @skm ... if you're cool enough, maybe @OhDenny will give you an official shout-out too.

(Sidenote: Yes, I realize I can ask myself this same question....)

Join us! You know you want to. :-D

There we go - you can see the blue now :) Looks like I beat aerien to the task!

Also, quick question to anyone attending Winter Welcome...what exactly is the dress code (I'm a nerd and there isn't one on the schedule)? Looks like it will still be cold and snowy, so for a non-northerner like myself, I need to figure out something warm and appropriate out of the options in my closet! (That I and will be getting to New Haven after already being out-of-town for a few days so I need to strategically pack my tiny carry-on :) )
Board of Directors
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I'll echo a lot of what @skm said. *Warning: longer post than I expected it would be*

First, a huge huge THANK YOU to @OhDenny and the rest of the student and admissions organizers. It was really a well-planned event. We had multiple chances to meet with current students, professors, and the rest of the attending admitted students. We got to see a little bit of what New Haven has to offer in terms of variety of restaurants as well as what housing options there are. And, we even had an ad-hoc visit from an SOM alum who founded CarMax. He wasn't even on the planned schedule but was at SOM for a class visit and came by to give a few remarks!

For me, the biggest takeaway was that the SOM community is truly quite amazing. Everyone I met, including other admits, was really impressive, had an interesting, diverse background, and was really excited to not only be at SOM but to help continue the SOM legacy.

And I do have to say, the worry I had career-wise about not attending a "core" marketing/strategy/consulting/whatever school was completely assuaged. Yes, I have great options to attend one of those types of schools, but at the end of the day, I wanted to attend a school where I had a close-knit community, where I could either decide to stay in my current "traditional" career path or perhaps change career paths and do something completely off the beaten path -- and still be supported by my peers, the faculty, and the career office in either endeavor. I found that at Yale SOM and as @machichi said, I made the best decision of my life :) And recruiting-wise, all the options are still there! There are members of the classes of 2013 and 2014 (and alums too) who are doing exactly what I want to be doing. Sure, there aren't going to be 100 people doing the exact same thing I am, but I know the 20 people who are are really passionate about it and will do whatever it takes to get to their dream career. Needless to say, I'm in great company.

To the R1 admits who didn't make it out yet (*cough* @machichi *cough*) and to the eventual R2 admits, definitely definitely definitely come to the Spring Welcome in April. I'm planning on attending again, provided I can get the days off work, and I'd say most everyone I met is planning on attending again as well. It's a fun weekend and a great way to get to know all your potential classmates! @OhDenny, I didn't even mind the icebreakers that much...and I HATE icebreakers, too.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
alphabetagamma wrote:
I had my interview on Wednesday 2/20/2013. The interview was very casual and pleasant, by sheer serendipity the interviewer and I had a lot in common. Majority of the questions were centered around my work (team/leadership/argument etc...).

Quick Question : How does Yale do the background check? Do they do it after they offer the acceptance letter or do we have to get it done? Any help would be appreciated, I wanted to give a heads up to my recommenders.

Pretty sure for all schools you do it after you're admitted AND have submitted your deposit.
Don't worry about that now.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Just received my invitation to interview today as a r2 applicant

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Yale '15 (I)
Send PM
Kudos
This weeks Virgo horoscope: "Your hard work of the past six months could pay off too, so don’t be shy about tooting your own horn"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Fingers crossed
Board of Directors
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mba20155 wrote:
maxkrewl wrote:
Admitted !! Got an email from Bruce just a minute back..I am from India

Congrats!!!!!!! and here we gooooooooooooo

Yes! Let's get this R2 party started :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.86
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Just got the call as well in NYC from Julie. Super excited!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts