GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 23 Jan 2020, 09:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Yale SOM vs INSEAD ($)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Yale SOM or INSEAD ($)

• 37% [9]
  • 62% [15]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

INSEAD   Yale   
Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Yale SOM vs INSEAD ($)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 03:07
I'm in a dilemma. I was accepted to both schools. I have a scholarship of 12K for INSEAD and none for Yale SOM. I'm a Canadian currently working in Europe and would like to transition into consulting. I want to eventually return to Canada although I am open to working anywhere for a few more years before going back to Canada.

I have contemplated the pros and cons of both schools (i.e. time, costs, etc) but would like the public's opinion.

Although INSEAD is very respected in the MBA community and those in "the know," I have concerns of its recognition in Canada. The Yale name is recognised globally but the last thing that I want is to not be taken seriously by my fellow MBA colleagues who may view the Yale MBA as "trying too hard to leverage the mother university's name" and sub-par to other more respected MBA programs.

What are your inputs? How is the INSEAD pedigree vs. Yale SOM pedigree? Which school would you go to?

Greatly appreciated!
Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: MBB Consultant
Concentration: Operations, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
Re: Yale SOM vs INSEAD ($)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 05:25
I would go Yale.

First reason would be to enjoy two full years of the MBA life before going to a crazy consulting lifestyle. :)

Second, Yale SOM is a school that is consistently attracting more attention from both applicants and companies, which is shown in its most recent rankings climb up, while INSEAD is more established as a global business school already on its best. I would want to see how far SOM could go.

Third, INSEAD is more European-Asian driven. If you want to be in North America (either Canada or US), I would go SOM.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 10:30
INSEAD and 12K is a no brainer for me
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GPA: 3.23
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 12:37
Quick analysis:

Time: INSEAD - 1 year
Tuition Cost: INSEAD - 12K scholarship
Cost of Living: INSEAD - 1 year
Post-MBA employment: INSEAD - Consulting
Location Advantages:
- YALE - US, Canada
- INSEAD - US, Canada, Europe, Asia, Latin America
Rankings: INSEAD

The consulting world knows INSEAD very well. I have been in touch with MBB employees in Canada and the US who graduated from INSEAD.

The question is whether you know very well what you want to do post-MBA. INSEAD's intensive program will probably leave no chance to research other industries. If you are a young professional and not 95% certain what you want to do,I would suggest taking the Yale route. The two years will be helpful to understand yourself better.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 19:23
I would go with INSEAD here, Yale is a great program but it seems based on your career trajectory and the clarity here plus the financial benefits of going with INSEAD has me leaning this way

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews
Board of Directors
B
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2016, 19:45
farrous13 brings up a great point on 2 year vs 1 year programs, and the ability to test out a new industry/function during the summer internship period if you have that time.

Both schools will give you strong consulting options. I will say that Yale recruiting into Canada for consulting roles has been really strong, across MBB as well as non-MBB firms. They definitely recognize the Yale SOM MBA as a degree; I don't think the branding there is something you need to worry about. Happy to connect you with some classmates in consulting/Canada to chat more about their recruiting processes and their internships/jobs, if that would be helpful. PM me.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Note: I do not complete individual profile reviews. Please use the Admissions Consultant or Peer Review forums to get feedback on your profile.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Yale SOM vs INSEAD ($)   [#permalink] 21 Apr 2016, 19:45

Yale SOM vs INSEAD ($)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste