GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 04:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Yale SOM ($$$$) vs. Tuck ($$$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

• 46% [29]
  • 53% [33]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.78
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Yale SOM ($$$$) vs. Tuck ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 12:37
Hello all,

I've got a difficult decision to make and was hoping to get some input from this forum. I applied to several schools and am very grateful to have ended up in this position. I received full scholarship offers from SOM, Tuck, and Ross with partial scholarship offers at Fuqua and Kellogg. So far, I've narrowed down my decision to either SOM or Tuck based on my interests and funding offers.

I began the bschool journey with Tuck as my #1 school for several reasons. I am coming from Colorado and am quite active in the mountains and outdoors. Having access to the outdoors so quickly at Tuck with skiing/backpacking/camping/kayaking all within 30 minutes is very appealing to blow off some steam or get a quick workout in. Also, I obviously am extremely interested in the famous alumni base and community that Tuck has created over the years. Additionally, I feel as if Tuck is a "proven" business school education as it is the oldest program in the US and a perennial top 10 program. Tuck is obviously an excellent program and I feel like I'd fit in very well with the culture and location.

As I was going through the recruiting and the interview process this fall, however, I began to lean toward SOM. I've been extremely impressed with alumni and current students reaching out, and putting me in contact with other alumni/students even before I was admitted. Also, their emphasis on business and society (nonprofit perspectives included) really interests me and is in line with what I want to do after school (I'm one of those stereotypical millennials who wants to feel as if they are making an impact). Additionally, I felt that SOM had a little bit more of an international perspective compared to Tuck which I like, and students who choose more diverse career options. I would most likely be all in on SOM, but I have some reservations. My reservations are related to Dean Snyder leaving, the slightly lower rankings compared to Tuck, the smaller alumni community due to the program being younger, and the general negative perceptions that SOM gets for some reason from many forums/online communities (this forum included).

A bit about me: I have WE in agricultural banking and am looking to transition to either a agricultural/agribusiness consulting firm (or a firm that has many agribusiness clients) or a food/cpg/agribusiness company, with a long term goal of working on agricultural development projects in an international development context. I would love to work internationally and also have an interest in sustainability/corporate responsibility. Seeing as I don't want to do the traditional consulting path (although certainly interested in the consulting world), I figured the diversity of careers that students pursue post SOM may serve me better.

Perhaps I am just overthinking things and should just go with my gut because they are both excellent programs, but any insight would be very appreciated since all of you on this forum on very in tune with the bschool world. This forum has been an amazing resource through the GMAT/application/interview process. Thanks in advance!
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Yale SOM ($$$$) vs. Tuck ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 14:15
Wow! Congratulations!

Yale has had quite a bit controversy with many continuing to claim that it is not a truly Top 10 school, which to their satisfaction, Yale did get booted out this year from US News to spot 11. In any case, many believe that SOM's popularity comes from its high undergrad ranking and that BSchool is not as strong.... that's what I have been hearing over and over from Yale haters (in line with your references). I think in part the feeling is somewhat negative is that you would be attending the lowest ranking Yale school (Yale undergrad, ranked #3, Law - ranked #1, Med School - ranked #11, and BSchool - ranked #11), meaning the undergrads would probably be going to higher-ranking Bschools in 5 years. Some folks may feel as though the school is helped by the undergrad clout and carries the MBA name further, and to those who don't like to ask for help, it may be rubbing them the wrong way.

Yale does have a stronger international brand than many other Schools and it does attract more people since Booth, Kellogg or even Wharton are not as well known as Harvard/MIT/Yale. I think there is some exploration that will need to happen - take a look at the Yale and Tuck reviews and see if you can spot any patterns. It is a tough call, but neither is the wrong solution if you don't have to pay for any of it!

P.S. Thank you for keeping the schools updated on your profile!
S
Schools: Yale '18 (M)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Yale SOM ($$$$) vs. Tuck ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 16:07
Fit: I think you'd fit right into Yale SOM's community. I know every school has a group of students very much focused on non-traditional MBA paths, but that group might represent a larger percentage of the student body at Yale SOM. You'll definitely find no shortage of people who may have similar career aspirations to you at the greater Yale University, which is highly accessible.

Ranking: I wouldn't worry too much here. For your situation, the key consideration here is the calibre of your classmates. I met several people and even have a few friends at Tuck - they're all fantastic people. I don't think Yale and Tuck are too different in that respect.

Dean Snyder: I believe he'll continue to be involved at Yale, though not as a dean. Yale SOM has been quite transparent about overall school strategy held through townhalls and incredibly adaptive to feedback based on these open discourses. They're also involving students and alumni in their search for dean Snyder's replacement. Dean Synder has done an impeccable job at Yale SOM, but the way they have been handling the successorship situation has been very encouraging.

Yale SOM Haters: I'd be happy to take a call with them or even meet face to face to understand their concerns about Yale SOM and how it may be damaging the fabric of the MBA universe.

I hope this helps.
Current Student
B
GRE 1: Q170 V164
GPA: 3.75
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2018, 20:21
While I like Yale better, Tuck is a stronger program at this point in time

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2019, 13:00
Congratulations on the acceptances.With the impressive list of schools and incredible scholarships, you are in a great place and what a way to finish off 2018. Here are my thoughts on Yale vs Tuck

1. Recruiting - I would put Tuck above Yale for consulting and tech. I don't really follow banking but Tuck specifically trains students for consulting with strategy being the focus of many of its core and electives. Yale SOM on the other hand, while does well in consulting, is not in the same league as Tuck/Fuqua/Ross in sheer numbers.

2. Fit and Culture - I think this is, of course, relative and depends on where you would feel happier. When I got my Tuck offer, I was happy but at the same time I could not imagine myself living in Hanover, and Ann Arbor suddenly started looking much nicer.

3. Core and Curriculum - This also depends on your own interests. The biggest draw for Ross continues to be MAP. We have 7 Microsoft projects this year that I am really excited about, especially 3 GamePass ones. Happy to chat more in this thread if you'd like.
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2019, 18:40
Tuck is still a tier above Yale so I'd say Tuck for sure
Consortium Forum Moderator
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2019, 14:23
Hey! I was in a very similar initial position and also in the same current conundrum. Please let us know what you ended up deciding and why! Cheers
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GRE 1: Q169 V170
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 07:36
Looks like your biggest concern at this point is the slightly lower Yale SOM ranking. I am a 1st year at SOM and have been incredibly impressed by how everyone at Yale (from the University president to SOM staff) is committed to SOM and the students. With the resources at Yale's disposal, I only see the rankings improve in the future. That being said, both are great schools and you can't go wrong with either.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.78
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2019, 08:45
Just following up as an update all. I waited to make a decision because it was so tough for me, but I decided to attend Yale SOM next year. Every single program I applied to is amazing and will get you where you want to go, but Yale's MBA just really stood out to me and I love the trajectory of where the program seems to be going. This program was just so appealing to me for tons of reasons, and it made the most sense for what I want to do later on in life - but it won't be the same for everyone! If anyone wants details I'll be more than happy to share or speak over personal message!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Yale SOM ($$$$) vs. Tuck ($$$$)   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2019, 08:45

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste, Wilch