Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 836 [1]
Given Kudos: 333
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 320 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: You made an error in your MBA application – now what? [#permalink]
+1
Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
It is a very helpful post.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: You made an error in your MBA application – now what? [#permalink]
I am delighted to know it's helpful!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Re: You made an error in your MBA application now what? [#permalink]
HI! i submitted an application for a reputed mim program. However, i just noticed that i made an error in the name of the company i worked with. Do you think i should contact them? because if they do a background check, the company's name won't show up. The error is in my resume and in my essays in 2 places.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Admissionado wrote:
sanya2711:

No, I would leave this as is, especially because it's in multiple areas of your application.

The background check is the least of your worries. If you are accepted, you can always clarify after the fact. The school isn't going to ding you after they have made you go through the entire admissions process because of a spelling error. While this is unlikely to be the case, you don't want the AdCom to ding you because of a typo/spelling error.

Hopefully you just stayed the course. Keep us posted as you go through the process!

Sure, Thanks! Also i wanted to ask if the chances of getting into HEC for a MiM program are same if we apply directly and through SAI?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello. Thank you for your informative post. I just realized I have used two course names in one of my essays that don't exactly match the names in the school's course directory. I am concerned that they might confuse the adcom or come across as lack of attention to details or even made up. The rest of the essay and application material are well-tailored to the target school. Is this something worth reaching out to admissions for?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
MyMBAPath wrote:
It’s the stuff nightmares are made of for any MBA hopeful. After months of hard work, you have submitted your MBA application. Then you suddenly realize there is an error in it. You left the wrong school name in an essay. You uploaded the wrong version of your resume. Or you accidentally chose the wrong answer from a dropdown menu.

I hope you never get to be an MBA applicant who has this terrifying moment at a time reserved for a sense of relief. But if you find yourself in this situation, don’t despair. It does happen and it doesn’t mean your MBA dream is doomed.

Here are the three things to keep in mind – and use to fix any post-submission errors in your MBA application.

1. Not all errors are created equal.

A typo or even two are not going to have any major impact on your admissions decision. Even leaving the wrong school name in an essay won’t automatically disqualify you.

While your first instinct may be to immediately email the admissions office, DO NOT. Typos are not something you should waste someone’s time to fix for you.

However terrifying realizing you have written Harvard in your Stanford MBA essay may be, if the same error isn’t all over your essays and if the essays are otherwise sufficiently tailored to the right school, you have a chance of getting away with it.

MBA application readers won’t like the fact you wrote about your love of Kellogg in your Wharton essay but they won’t stamp “deny” solely based on this. There is no hiding the fact this is a major error that should be avoided at all cost but it doesn’t mean you will be definitely rejected.

In some instances, you may be able to email the operations team and have them replace a file, especially when it was a PDF upload. That recently happened to a candidate I was working with. He realized he had left a hanging comment in the middle of his resume. He emailed the general admissions email account with the correct document and they replaced it for him. Something like this will not even get to the attention of the MBA adcom. But again, be thoughtful about what you ask. The time after a major MBA application deadline is a very busy time for any admissions office and exercising good judgement will show respect for their work.

Very importantly, if the error is of material nature – such as selecting the wrong citizenship status from a dropdown menu - then it’s actually imperative that you reach out to have it fixed. You don’t want the wrong information being used in rendering your MBA admissions decision. And you definitely don’t want this error to be viewed as potential misrepresentation in your MBA application.

2. Don’t assume the best person to email is a recruiter in the MBA admissions office.

Admissions offices typically have an operations team that processes the applications. They are usually the best people to reach out to. Most often, they can be reached through the general admissions account, which you should be able to find on the Contact Us page. But you should carefully read through the admissions pages first to see if there are any instructions that you should follow.

3. The way to minimize the likelihood of these mistakes is to have another, fresh set of eyes review your MBA materials before submitting.

It should go without saying. It’s a lesson I learned early on in my career, when I was working as an Account Director at a top global ad agency and a national campaign for one of my clients went into production – and even worse, to market! – with the wrong product price. At some point, after you have read a document dozens of times, you stop seeing the details. So have a friend or family member with good proofreading skills review your materials before submitting.

I addressed my MIT Cover Letter to Dawna Levenson and Rod Garcia instead of the Admissions Team. A current student told me Rod Garcia retired two years ago. Although his LinkedIn showed he's still a current staff and that's what I made my decision on. I'm devastated what does this mean for me. Should I forget the school and move on

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot