It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 03:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Zachary: The term “fresco” refers to paint that has (Part 2)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Board of Directors
D

Kudos [?]: 905 [0], given: 67

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Zachary: The term “fresco” refers to paint that has (Part 2) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 02:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:34) correct 40% (02:02) wrong based on 75 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Zachary: The term “fresco” refers to paint that has been applied to wet plaster. Once dried, a fresco indelibly preserves the paint that a painter has applied in this way. Unfortunately, additions known to have been made by later painters have obscured the original fresco work done by Michelangelo in the Sistine Chapel. Therefore, in order to restore Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel paintings to the appearance that Michelangelo intended them to have, everything except the original fresco work must be stripped away.

Stephen: But it was extremely common for painters of Michelangelo’s era to add painted details to their own fresco work after the frescos had dried.

Stephen’s response to Zachary, if true, most strongly supports which one of the following?

(A) It is impossible to distinguish the later painted additions made to Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel paintings from the original fresco work.
(B) Stripping away everything except Michelangelo’s original fresco work from the Sistine Chapel paintings would be unlikely to restore them to the appearance Michelangelo intended them to have.
(C) The painted details that painters of Michelangelo’s era added to their own fresco work were not an integral part of the completed paintings’ overall design.
(D) None of the painters of Michelangelo’s era who made additions to the Sistine Chapel paintings was important artist in his or her own right.
(E) Michelangelo was rarely satisfied with the appearance of his finished works.

Source: LSAT

Link to Part 1
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Zachary: The term “fresco” refers to paint that has (Part 2) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 07:02
Option E seems to be correct. Its is saying that because painters tend to modify their own works after completion, It is difficult to know which is the original intended work.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 39

Zachary: The term “fresco” refers to paint that has (Part 2) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 11:43
I would go with B. E seems too generic and B is to the point.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 39

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 12:13
Utkarsh KOhli wrote:
I would go with B. E seems too generic and B is to the point.

B says that Michelangelo's original intended work has been separated from others' additions, but if that is the case then it must reflect his original work right? But option E goes one step ahead says, due to multiple reworks by the artist himself, it is not possible to separate out his original intended work, even after stripping out other people's additions. So in the first place Stephen's argument is saying that the method suggested by the first argument may not be possible to implement.
I am still skeptical.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 10

Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 610 Q36 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2017, 13:16
Since the question asks "Stephen’s response to Zachary, if true, most strongly supports which one of the following?" and Stephen is pointing out how Michelangelo added painted details to their own fresco work after the original fresco has dried. Since the question assumes Stephen's statement to be true, I believe B is most supported by Stephen's specific statement. If you strip everything away except the original fresco, you will have removed the painting which Michelangelo did after the original, and therefore, it would still not be as he intended. I believe that E is too general and not related to Stephen's statement.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 10

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 22

WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 21:55
Can somebody explain why A is not correct?

We are what we REPEATEDLY do. GREATNESS then is not ACT, but a HABIT.

Senior CR Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 997 [0], given: 60

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2017, 22:14
dumbodingo wrote:

Hi,

Stephen said that painters of Michelangelo’s era often added painted details to their own fresco work after the frescos had dried.

Choice A indicated that the original and the modified are really similar. Thus this choice slightly weakens the Stephen's argument since Stephen implied that those paintings are different.

Actual LSAT CR bank by Broall

How to solve quadratic equations - Factor quadratic equations
Factor table with sign: The useful tool to solve polynomial inequalities
Applying AM-GM inequality into finding extreme/absolute value

New Error Log with Timer

Kudos [?]: 997 [0], given: 60

Intern
Intern
B

WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 09:33
broall wrote:
dumbodingo wrote:

Hi,

Stephen said that painters of Michelangelo’s era often added painted details to their own fresco work after the frescos had dried.

Choice A indicated that the original and the modified are really similar. Thus this choice slightly weakens the Stephen's argument since Stephen implied that those paintings are different.

Thank you so much for explaining. I see what you mean now, and the difference seems really subtle. I get stuck the close calls...then think, think, think, and pick the wrong one :sad: Any advice, word of caution?

We are what we REPEATEDLY do. GREATNESS then is not ACT, but a HABIT.

Board of Directors
D

GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2017, 09:50
dumbodingo wrote:
Thank you so much for explaining. I see what you mean now, and the difference seems really subtle. I get stuck the close calls...then think, think, think, and pick the wrong one :sad: Any advice, word of caution?

Hey dumbodingo ,

Here is the catch: When you get stuck at 2 options, it means you have done the easier part of the job.

You need to slow down further, be very careful and reread everything again. Good Luck :)

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

Re: Zachary: The term “fresco” refers to paint that has (Part 2)   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2017, 09:50

Zachary: The term “fresco” refers to paint that has (Part 2)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap