It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 02:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Zero CO2 economy - a tricky one

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: Zero CO2 economy - a tricky one [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2013, 05:33
This post was
BOOKMARKED
egmat wrote:
heman2727 wrote:
egmat wrote:
OA has been posted. It is option E. People in this thread who chose option E have given correct explanations for the same.

Let me know if anyone still has doubts :)

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Can we discuss why C is not the correct answer. I want to discuss so that I can have more clear thought process.

Regards,
Himanshu

Hi Himanshu,

Good that you brought this up. A lot of students marked choice C.

C. With the use of current technologies, what proportion of electricity generated through wind energy can be stored for use at future times when wind may not be blowing?

So, option C asks what proportion of electricity can be stored?

Now, tell me what proportion do we want?

The answer is: We don't know.

Nowhere the passage talks about the times in which wind is not blowing. If the passage had said. let's say, that the wind does not blow for one month every year, then in that case, we would have wanted to store 1/11th of the electricity. In that case, it might have made sense to know how much electricity we can store.

But the given passage does not talk about a scenario in which the wind does not blow. Rather, we don't even know if there is a period in which doesn't blow. Probably, the wind blows all the time. We don't know. In such a scenario, option C does not help us evaluate the argument.

On the other hand, option E is extremely relevant to the argument. We require 40% of wind energy. Right? How much can we access? Less than or more than 40%? This is what option E asks.

Frankly, option C was specially crafted with a lot of relevant and common sense words to confuse students :wink: and placed before the correct choice so that when students read the correct choice, they read it with a bias against the correct choice (because in their mind, they have already found the correct choice) :wink:

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Thanks a lot for the wonderful explanation.

Regards,
Himanshu

If my post helps, please do appreciate it with a Kudos!!
Cheers to great learning. Knowledge increases by sharing and not by saving!!!!

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

e-GMAT Discount CodesMath Revolution Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1926 [0], given: 152

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2013, 08:57

Kudos [?]: 1926 [0], given: 152

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 18

Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2013, 13:47
egmat wrote:
heman2727 wrote:
egmat wrote:
OA has been posted. It is option E. People in this thread who chose option E have given correct explanations for the same.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Can we discuss why C is not the correct answer. I want to discuss so that I can have more clear thought process.

Regards,
Himanshu

Hi Himanshu,

C. With the use of current technologies, what proportion of electricity generated through wind energy can be stored for use at future times when wind may not be blowing?

Nowhere the passage talks about the times in which wind is not blowing. If the passage had said. let's say, that the wind does not blow for one month every year, then in that case, we would have wanted to store 1/11th of the electricity. In that case, it might have made sense to know how much electricity we can store.

But the given passage does not talk about a scenario in which the wind does not blow. Rather, we don't even know if there is a period in which doesn't blow. Probably, the wind blows all the time. We don't know. In such a scenario, option C does not help us evaluate the argument.

On the other hand, option E is extremely relevant to the argument. We require 40% of wind energy. Right? How much can we access? Less than or more than 40%? This is what option E asks.

Frankly, option C was specially crafted with a lot of relevant and common sense words to confuse students :wink: and placed before the correct choice so that when students read the correct choice, they read it with a bias against the correct choice (because in their mind, they have already found the correct choice) :wink:

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Dear E-Gmat,

I see the same behavior of GMAC to put the wrong answer choice just before or slighty above the OA again & again.
Are there any particular tricks or technics that will help us avoid these traps?

THX!

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 18

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9029 [1], given: 335

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2013, 08:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
lucbesson wrote:
Dear E-Gmat,

I see the same behavior of GMAC to put the wrong answer choice just before or slighty above the OA again & again.
Are there any particular tricks or technics that will help us avoid these traps?

THX!

Hi,

I think given that there are five choices in a GMAT question and if each has equal probability of being the correct choice, then in 80% of the cases, a wrong choice will appear before the correct choice. Some of these wrong choices will be trickier also. So, I don't see any unexpected pattern here.

Besides, we don't really focus on tricks at eGMAT. Rather, I will caution you against depending on any tricks. I believe that the logical part of your brain should be calling all the shots when you sit for GMAT. If you keep worrying about the set of tricks you learnt, then that would only hamper the free functioning of the logical brain and would negatively impact your score. Just sharing my honest opinion with you.

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9029 [1], given: 335

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2014, 16:06
Dear E-Gmat
The question stem itself explicitly mentioned that the available energy is 2.5 times the entire electricity production of the United States. I thought that the option E is giving us the information that in contrast with the information presented in the argument and that's why i rejected this choice. Would you help me to understand the flaw in my reasoning?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 101

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2014, 19:50
egmat wrote:
heman2727 wrote:
egmat wrote:

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Regards,
Himanshu

Hi Himanshu,

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Chiranjeev,
I think one explanation can be :
P: Given that we can satisfy our electricity needs by harnessing only 40% of the wind energy resources in these 12 states,
Conclusion:it is extremely likely that we will be able to do away with CO2.
the conclusion is about future time and possibility that "we can satisfy the electricity needs",
but in option C we have:With the use of current technologies.. so the first part of the option C makes a time shift and therefore it cannot match the scope of the conclusion. I think the conclusion includes the possibility of changes in the technology.

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 101

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
S

Kudos [?]: 9029 [0], given: 335

Show Tags

New post 12 May 2014, 11:44
Bibinaz wrote:

Chiranjeev,
I think one explanation can be :
P: Given that we can satisfy our electricity needs by harnessing only 40% of the wind energy resources in these 12 states,
Conclusion:it is extremely likely that we will be able to do away with CO2.
the conclusion is about future time and possibility that "we can satisfy the electricity needs",
but in option C we have:With the use of current technologies.. so the first part of the option C makes a time shift and therefore it cannot match the scope of the conclusion. I think the conclusion includes the possibility of changes in the technology.

Yes Bibinaz,

That is also a valid explanation. :)

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Kudos [?]: 9029 [0], given: 335

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Schools: HEC Montreal '20
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2014, 08:35
option e does mention any time frame areas tough to reach today might be east tomorrow also c mentions some time frame

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Show Tags

New post 13 May 2014, 10:38
nikhilsehgal wrote:
Answer should be C - As option C helps us to determine/evaluate the scenario - whether US will be able to deal with situation OR Whether US is able to stay CO2 free in the absence of wind/ Wind energy.

i can not recognize the relationship between C and the conlusion

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 46

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2014, 23:59
egmat wrote:
heman2727 wrote:
egmat wrote:

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Regards,
Himanshu

Hi Himanshu,

So option E asks what proportion of energy is required inaccessible areas ?

Same question for E
Same question for E

Nowhere the passage talks about the possibility of in-accessible areas requiring electricity. If the passage had said that the goal is to make each and every part of America electrified regardless of say connectivity / population density etc, then in that case we would considered about in-accessible areas.

But the passage does not mention this requirement. Infact we dont even if there is any in-accessible area left in a developed nation like US so option E does not help the argument

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Still not clear on why option E is correct. It mentions in-accessible areas. Logically speaking inaccessible areas will have low population and most probably even low energy requirements which can be met with localized power stations.

The way option C has been discounted can be applied to option E as well. Repeating your explanation and putting in parallel logic against C, could you please help me out ?

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 46

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 534

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2014, 23:06
E. What proportion of wind energy is available only at inaccessible areas?

Not convince with this option either....

Now the option says inaccessible areas
It doesn't matter what proportion of energy is available at inaccessible areas as far as it is possible to harness energy from those areas.

Lets say 100% of energy is in inaccessible area like desert or over the mountains. But what if wind energy utilization structures or other technologies can be built there and most of energy can be transferred to Cities.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 534

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 95

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 2: 590 Q49 V22
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2014, 15:00
Frankly speaking I'm a little confused with the OA. I chose C and will try to explain why not E.
The premise states that the wind energy in 12 Midwestern and Rocky Mountain states is available. Doesn't that assume that the US can use this energy?
In several explanations of other CR questions I read that everything stated as fact in premise can not be regarded as possible false. The key word in this case is "available". It presumes that this energy can be somehow used. So I can not understand what the phrase in E "wind energy available only at inaccessible areas" means. In my humble opinion if wind energy is in an inaccessible area it is NOT available wind energy.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 46

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2014, 22:22
I chose D at first but after final analysing got that E is the best choice.This is how. Here we are talking about whether CO2 will not be use in 30 years or not. Now we got the conclusion that by use of wind energy we will be able to do away with Co2. Then what is the assumption for such a conclusion to hold good, that the wind energy we are talking about as an alternative source must be harnessable. Now option E puts the valid question of how much energy is harnessable. If the majority of the alternative energy is in inassesible area then it would be of no use and then we have depend upon the present source of energy and hence use of Co2 would be reduced. Hope this expalnation helps.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 46

Intern
Intern

Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 2: 590 Q49 V22
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2014, 23:37
mridupawandas wrote:
I chose D at first but after final analysing got that E is the best choice.This is how. Here we are talking about whether CO2 will not be use in 30 years or not. Now we got the conclusion that by use of wind energy we will be able to do away with Co2. Then what is the assumption for such a conclusion to hold good, that the wind energy we are talking about as an alternative source must be harnessable. Now option E puts the valid question of how much energy is harnessable. If the majority of the alternative energy is in inassesible area then it would be of no use and then we have depend upon the present source of energy and hence use of Co2 would be reduced. Hope this expalnation helps.

Thanks for your explanation, mridupawandas, but I would like to add something to my previous post here.
In Cambridge Dictionaries we can see the definition of the term available.
If something is available that means that it is able to be obtained, used, or reached.
The premise says that available wind energy equals 2.5 times bla bla bla... According to the definition of the word available this energy must be able to be obtained, used, or reached.
I'm sorry, but I still can't understand how a wind energy can be available and be in an inaccessible area (i.e. inharnessable) simultaneously.
For example when you are asking for a room in a hotel and the hotel manager says that one room is available, you assume that you can enter that room. Otherwise the room wouldn't be available.
Does anybody know what the source of this question is?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2015, 22:16
Question itself states that 40% of wind energy is available for the energy purpose then why do we need information about proportion of wind energy is available only at inaccessible areas. How come inaccessible areas come into the picture. egmat

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 342

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 49

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2015, 09:21
egmat wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Here's another question from e-GMAT. It is an evaluate question type, which, as experience of recent test takers suggest, is becoming more important on GMAT.

Share your answers with analysis. Looking forward to a healthy discussion :)

A zero-CO2 U.S. economy can be achieved within the next thirty to fifty years without the use of nuclear power. The U.S. renewable energy resource base is vast and practically untapped. Available wind energy resources in 12 Midwestern and Rocky Mountain states equal about 2.5 times the entire electricity production of the United States. Given that we can satisfy our electricity needs by harnessing only 40% of the wind energy resources in these 12 states, it is extremely likely that we will be able to do away with CO2.

Which of the following would be most useful to evaluate the above argument?

A. What is the amount of wind energy resources available in rest of the states in the United States?
B. Are there any other renewable energy resources such as solar power, which can be used?
D. Are there strong corporate lobbies which will strongly oppose any move to substitute non-renewable sources of energy?

-Chiranjeev Singh

I am not able to understand one thing...
As per stimulus-"Available wind energy resources in 12 Midwestern and Rocky Mountain states equal about 2.5 times the entire electricity production of the United States."
Thus,12 states will be able to supply whole US. then why are we concerned about the inaccessible areas?
even if its 0 or 100 % at inaccessible areas why are we concerned because we get adequate energy from 12 states.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 49

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2015, 02:18
the key to success on cr is the ability to criticize the argument.
the answer choice which contradict the evidence , choice C, is a trap. I can not avoid this trap.

answer choice repeating evidence or contradicting evidence is trap.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 916

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2015, 01:57
In my opinion, Had option E been restated as "What proportion of wind energy can be put to civil and industrial use?" OR if the option E would have been restated as What proportion of wind energy can be transported to towns and cities?.. The answer would have made more sense ...
The passage talks about Availability , while at the same time, the OA talks about Inaccessibility. The option E seems confusing...Inaccessibility as a word is too broad in definition ,to be able to come to a precise conclusion.

Any expert advice , would be very helpful :-)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 6

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Other (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2015, 20:07
egmat wrote:
heman2727 wrote:
egmat wrote:

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Regards,
Himanshu

Hi Himanshu,

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

I agree with you.It is no where mentioned in the passage about wind blowing off/on,but inaccessible generally conveys about the places not connected by roads.I see that choice E conveys about places that cannot be connected by electricity.

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

WE: Design (Aerospace and Defense)

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2016, 23:45
Between C and E
Quote:
But this question just points out the problem that may happen when the wind is not blowing.Literally it assumes when the wind is there there can be no problem

Quote:

This is more realistic.This question attack the argument from grass root.Before answering "C" it has to be understood what proportion of energy we can use ( we cant use energy available in inaccessible areas)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Re: Zero CO2 economy - a tricky one   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2016, 23:45

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 49 posts ] 

Zero CO2 economy - a tricky one

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap