Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 16:39 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63683 [36]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63683 [3]

Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63683 [2]

Send PM
Re: GMAT Ninja Study Plan Week 2 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
nithyak wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

LSAT 01, SEC III 18/26 69.23% 64min
LSAT 02, SEC I 22/28 79% 70min
LSAT 03, SEC II 24/27 88.88% 64min
LSAT 04, SEC IV 24/27 88.88% 70min

Thank you for the incredibly detailed study plan and your advise on using LSATs for practice. Its really helping me gain momentum reading topics that I don't really dig reading otherwise and also have a clear target to work towards.
My LSAT sets results are as above.
My concern is that I am getting all the Hard (40-50% on the gmat club meter) questions right but the majority of the ones I'm getting wrong show a 60-65% accuracy on the gmat club meter. I am worried because the test is adaptive and every medium level question I get wrong will make my chances of encountering a hard level question slimmer right?? So what's the point of me getting those right!?
Second, how many medium level questions can a person aiming for 740+ skip or get wrong?
Third, do I even need to pay attention to these aspects or just move on, since I am seeing an above 80% average on the practice sets?

Sharing below as an example, a question I got wrong which shows 75% accuracy on the gmat club meter.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/anthropologi ... 86172.html
Q5. According to the passage, one way in which life history studies differ from life-passage studies is that life-history studies are
(A) Usually told in the subject’s native language.
(B) Less reliable because they rely solely on the subject’s recall.
(C) More likely to be told without the influence of an intermediary.
(D) More creative in the way they interpret the subject’s cultural legacy.
(E) More representative of the historian’s point of view than of the ethnographer’s.

I chose E over C; Reason, I failed to analyze the answer choices correctly.

Thank you for the wonderful questions, nithyak! And sorry for my horrendously slow response. I might be a bit too late to help you, but maybe this will help some other students with similar issues.

First, I would take the difficulty levels that you see here on GMAT Club with a huge grain of salt. They don't necessarily match the actual difficulty levels of official questions, because GMAT Club's difficulty ratings are calculated with a completely different formula than testing agencies use, and they're based on a different sample of test-takers. So those difficulty levels are useful, but far from perfect.

That said, I would ask yourself this question: WHY are you getting those "medium" questions wrong? Are you misreading something? Are you less focused when the question seems easier? Are there certain question types that you're missing disproportionately? Is your process of elimination less sharp than it could be?

In other words: if you really are missing questions that should be easy for you, then there's an underlying reason why. Broadly speaking, there's something inconsistent in your approach to questions if that's happening. It's totally possible that what you're seeing is just a quirk of the data: what you personally find difficult doesn't match the GMAT Club population as a whole, for example. But if you look deeper, it's very possible that there's something unsystematic in your process that can cause trouble on test day.

In the longer run, your LSAT results will almost always reflect those inconsistencies very clearly. If you're consistently missing -3 on every set you do, you're fine (at least in terms of accuracy; timing might be a different story). If the next four sets you do look very much like these four (-8, -6, -3, -3), then I would be convinced that you're approaching things differently on different days, and the fact that you're missing "medium" questions is just another symptom of that inconsistency.

Bottom line: yes, you'll want to explore more deeply to see if those errors on easier questions are caused by some specific test-taking behavior. But in the longer run, your LSAT results will very loudly yell at you if there's a real problem with the consistency of your process.

I hope that helps a bit!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 99
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja wrote:
nithyak wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

LSAT 01, SEC III 18/26 69.23% 64min
LSAT 02, SEC I 22/28 79% 70min
LSAT 03, SEC II 24/27 88.88% 64min
LSAT 04, SEC IV 24/27 88.88% 70min

Thank you for the incredibly detailed study plan and your advise on using LSATs for practice. Its really helping me gain momentum reading topics that I don't really dig reading otherwise and also have a clear target to work towards.
My LSAT sets results are as above.
My concern is that I am getting all the Hard (40-50% on the gmat club meter) questions right but the majority of the ones I'm getting wrong show a 60-65% accuracy on the gmat club meter. I am worried because the test is adaptive and every medium level question I get wrong will make my chances of encountering a hard level question slimmer right?? So what's the point of me getting those right!?
Second, how many medium level questions can a person aiming for 740+ skip or get wrong?
Third, do I even need to pay attention to these aspects or just move on, since I am seeing an above 80% average on the practice sets?

Sharing below as an example, a question I got wrong which shows 75% accuracy on the gmat club meter.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/anthropologi ... 86172.html
Q5. According to the passage, one way in which life history studies differ from life-passage studies is that life-history studies are
(A) Usually told in the subject’s native language.
(B) Less reliable because they rely solely on the subject’s recall.
(C) More likely to be told without the influence of an intermediary.
(D) More creative in the way they interpret the subject’s cultural legacy.
(E) More representative of the historian’s point of view than of the ethnographer’s.

I chose E over C; Reason, I failed to analyze the answer choices correctly.

Thank you for the wonderful questions, nithyak! And sorry for my horrendously slow response. I might be a bit too late to help you, but maybe this will help some other students with similar issues.

First, I would take the difficulty levels that you see here on GMAT Club with a huge grain of salt. They don't necessarily match the actual difficulty levels of official questions, because GMAT Club's difficulty ratings are calculated with a completely different formula than testing agencies use, and they're based on a different sample of test-takers. So those difficulty levels are useful, but far from perfect.

That said, I would ask yourself this question: WHY are you getting those "medium" questions wrong? Are you misreading something? Are you less focused when the question seems easier? Are there certain question types that you're missing disproportionately? Is your process of elimination less sharp than it could be?

In other words: if you really are missing questions that should be easy for you, then there's an underlying reason why. Broadly speaking, there's something inconsistent in your approach to questions if that's happening. It's totally possible that what you're seeing is just a quirk of the data: what you personally find difficult doesn't match the GMAT Club population as a whole, for example. But if you look deeper, it's very possible that there's something unsystematic in your process that can cause trouble on test day.

In the longer run, your LSAT results will almost always reflect those inconsistencies very clearly. If you're consistently missing -3 on every set you do, you're fine (at least in terms of accuracy; timing might be a different story). If the next four sets you do look very much like these four (-8, -6, -3, -3), then I would be convinced that you're approaching things differently on different days, and the fact that you're missing "medium" questions is just another symptom of that inconsistency.

Bottom line: yes, you'll want to explore more deeply to see if those errors on easier questions are caused by some specific test-taking behavior. But in the longer run, your LSAT results will very loudly yell at you if there's a real problem with the consistency of your process.

I hope that helps a bit!

Thank you GMATNinja
This gives some perspective for sure.

My next 3 sets went like this -1,-2,-3. (Accuracy dropped because I took less time, around 1.9min per question, in the last set)
Out of the 6 wrong, 3 were <60% on the accuracy meter and the other three, >60% on the accuracy meter (one even 80%)

I'll try and analyze my mistakes more deeply to figure out if I have some underlying pattern. Thanks again!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63683 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
nithyak wrote:
Thank you GMATNinja
This gives some perspective for sure.

My next 3 sets went like this -1,-2,-3. (Accuracy dropped because I took less time, around 1.9min per question, in the last set)
Out of the 6 wrong, 3 were <60% on the accuracy meter and the other three, >60% on the accuracy meter (one even 80%)

I'll try and analyze my mistakes more deeply to figure out if I have some underlying pattern. Thanks again!

Oh wow, those are some great results. Sure, you might find some interesting pattern in the errors, especially if a few of those are truly on the easier side (and they may or may not be). But something is definitely going very, very right. Keep up the good work!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 297
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja

For the timing benchmarks on the LSAT sets (~1hr per set), is this assuming that all of the 25 CR questions (or all the 4 RC passages) from a set are done in one sitting? I'm seeing that I am more efficient with timing if I break these up in say 2 sittings instead of attempting all in one sitting, which is understandable. Should we be aiming for a <1hr benchmark when all questions are done in one sitting? Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
lomachenko wrote:
Hi GMATNinja

For the timing benchmarks on the LSAT sets (~1hr per set), is this assuming that all of the 25 CR questions (or all the 4 RC passages) from a set are done in one sitting? I'm seeing that I am more efficient with timing if I break these up in say 2 sittings instead of attempting all in one sitting, which is understandable. Should we be aiming for a <1hr benchmark when all questions are done in one sitting? Thanks in advance!

Running 20 miles at once is very different than running 10 miles one day and 10 miles another day (even though both sound kinda miserable!). Also, the first half of an LSAT set tends to be easier than the second half -- it's best to do the entire set at once so that you're forced to navigate the entire range of difficulty levels and manage your time and process accordingly.

If you're taking the current version of the GMAT, the verbal section alone will last longer than an hour, and one-hour LSAT sets are a good way to build your stamina. The verbal section will be shorter on the new GMAT, but the test will still require more than two hours of concentration. Sure, LSAT sets are more repetitive than the GMAT, but if you can stay focused on an LSAT CR or RC set that takes about an hour, it will probably help you get through the GMAT with your brains intact.

So I'd recommend sticking with full LSAT sets, completed in one sitting. It'll give you cleaner data, and it will help build your stamina in useful ways.

I hope that helps a bit!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
WE:Design (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi GmatNinja,
Where can I find GMAT Quant Guide?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja, firstly i would like to thank you for providing such an extensive, yet achievable study plan for the GMAT Prep. I am loving it. However, after week 2 i was not able to find the link to interpreting the result section for this specific week, all the links get back to Week 1 interpretation. Is it like that? Should i interpret week 2 results same as week 1?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
KMDrkx wrote:
Hi GMATNinja, firstly i would like to thank you for providing such an extensive, yet achievable study plan for the GMAT Prep. I am loving it. However, after week 2 i was not able to find the link to interpreting the result section for this specific week, all the links get back to Week 1 interpretation. Is it like that? Should i interpret week 2 results same as week 1?

Thank you so much for the kind words, and sorry for my slow response!

Good catch: there was a typo in this post -- it should say "Week 2" not Week 1" in the header. It's fixed now, and everything else in that "how to interpret your results" post is correct, though.

Sorry for the confusion!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
Schools: INSEAD Bocconi LBS
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja

I frequently struggle with LSAT RC, but I perform relatively well in GMAT RC with fewer mistakes. However, when I review my LSAT RC answers, I notice that I often choose the wrong option even when I've narrowed it down to two choices. For example, out of 27 questions, I ended up selecting the wrong answer for 11 questions, while the option I didn't choose was actually correct.

How can I address this issue? Can it be resolved?

I know lsat is harder but am I supposed to get so much more wrong in lsat questions than gmat questions? This is the case in CR as well, I score better in gmat questions than lsat

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63683 [2]

Send PM
Kudos