Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 11:17 It is currently 03 May 2024, 11:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Study Groups: A Melting Pot of Ideas and Minds [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiM Admissions Blog: Study Groups: A Melting Pot of Ideas and Minds

Olivier Espitalier Noel, MFA 2024:

As a humbled member of the Masters in Financial Analysis (MFA) 2024 class at London Business School, I have embarked on a journey that transcends borders and cultures at this respected institution. Our discussions, enriched by this mix of academic and life experiences, allow us to approach problems from various angles and develop comprehensive solutions. 

The variety of perspectives has been crucial in improving my communication and listening skills. Effective communication is key in our collaborative efforts, where we’ve learned to articulate our thoughts clearly and listen actively. This practice has helped us achieve our academic goals and understand the nuances of different academic and educational backgrounds. 

Working in such a diverse group has brought significant learning experiences. Navigating differences in academic training demands patience and adaptability, enhancing our ability to communicate across cultural and academic lines. This prepares us to work effectively in diverse teams in the future. Conflicts arising from differences in opinions and approaches have also been part of our dynamics, necessitating the development of negotiation and diplomacy skills to ensure productive outcomes. Adapting to a common academic standard, while respecting each member’s background, has been a conscious and collective effort. 

These challenges have been invaluable in my personal and professional development. Being part of this study group has been transformative, broadening my cultural understanding, enriching my perspectives, and sharpening my communication skills. Engaging with such a diverse set of minds has emphasized the importance of empathetic communication in a multicultural context. 

In summary, being involved in this international study group has been a key part of my MFA journey. It highlights the benefits of diversity, not only in our academic pursuits but also in enhancing our interpersonal skills, particularly in communication. This experience paves the way for personal and professional growth, underscoring the value of diverse collaboration.

Jean Zwerger, MAM2024:

As a student in the Masters in Analytics and Management programme, I have had the privilege of being part of a group that not only represents a spectrum of nationalities and professional backgrounds but also epitomizes the power of collaboration in the face of diverse challenges.  

Throughout our first term we had the opportunity to tackle a range of projects, each requiring a unique blend of our skills and perspectives. Whether it was developing Python-based trading strategies, conducting sentiment analysis on Twitter data, designing data architectures for IoT systems, or creating compelling data visualizations about the best global cities for post-study settlement, our projects have been both challenging and enlightening.  

A groupmate fondly recalled, “The best part about our study group was that everyone took ownership of their work and did all projects as a team. People respected each other’s ideas and thoughts and were always so accommodating”.  

Some standout projects were, for instance, the analysis of New York City’s infamous Pizza Rat in our Applied Statistics class, a creative endeavour that allowed us to explore urban wildlife through the lens of data.  

Another groupmate highlights the essence of our collaboration: “When we were working on a marketing project, brainstorming our idea, the whiteboard was filled with scribbles and diagrams. It was such a creative and fun process!” Our end proposal was “Stage”, an integrated ticketing platform within Instagram, a fun and creative proposal showcasing our understanding of the newly learnt marketing strategy frameworks.  

To prospective and admitted students, I say: embrace the study group experience. It is a unique opportunity to grow, learn, and connect, transcending the conventional classroom setting. The memories you create and the lessons you learn in these groups will be among the most valuable aspects of your time at London Business School.  

Imane El Hafidi, MiM2024:

Collaboration is a major focus at LBS and within the Masters in Management programme. Once you step into the programme, you are assigned a crew of 5-6 students, with whom you collaborate on group assignments and projects throughout the term. Much like colleagues in a workplace, your team isn’t one that you choose; it is assigned to you, and they become your ride or die for the term. For me, my first term study group was truly a wonderful surprise!

Right from the start, two key activities set the tone for our journey, bringing us together and allowing us to hit the ground running as a team:

First, the ‘Away day’ – a day dedicated to outdoor team-building activities during which we collaborated, motivated each other and just naturally bonded. From solving riddles together, strategizing in a F1 pit stop simulation and holding onto each other for dear life while preparing to jump over the top of a 15-meter pole. This day not only revealed our authentic selves but also gave us countless funny moments and anecdotes that became running jokes throughout the term.

Second, the ‘Leading with Impact’ workshop. Here, we were paired with a coach, analysing together our personality tests, and figuring out how to leverage our unique traits to best work together. While it was not a therapy session, it was a very honest and vulnerable experience. We opened up about our weaknesses and shared our strengths. I believe this had the most impact in allowing us to understand how to work together as a group and bring the best out of each other.

The most rewarding part of this experience is how we weren’t only a study group, but a true built-in support system for one another. Helping each other academically outside of our group assignments, motivating each other through recruitment and most importantly accommodating each other in balancing out our academic commitments and the job search. In a sense the study group is like a small sample of the LBS cohort, very diverse, highly driven, extremely supportive and each with their own exciting journey. So, for all these reasons and many more, I’d like to extend my heartfelt thanks to Sebastian, Vanya, Charles, Grant, and Annie. Working and growing with you all was an absolute pleasure!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Accommodation: Advice for finding the perfect place in the heart of Lo [#permalink]
FROM LBS MiM Admissions Blog: Accommodation: Advice for finding the perfect place in the heart of London

When you picture your year ahead in London, what do you see? What kind of place do you live in? Do you live alone? Do you have a long commute to campus? How long is a “long commute” for you?

I vividly remember asking myself these same questions when I received my admission letter for LBS. For me, I knew that living alone wasn’t for me. I wanted to immerse myself in the LBS community, make new friends, and truly experience all that London has to offer. Of course, everyone has their own preferences, and what suits you best ultimately depends on your personality and priorities.

Finding Flatmates:

If you decide to live with flatmates, LBS is exceptionally helpful when it comes to finding compatible roommates among your fellow students. They provide a helpful online platform called MeetLBS, where you can connect with other admitted students. Here, there was a spreadsheet where students could write short bios, outlining their preferences and logistics such as desired move-in dates and distance from campus. I found my flatmates through this platform, and they’ve become not just roommates but also lifelong friends.

If you prefer to live with people outside of the LBS community, London offers a plethora of resources to find shared accommodation. Websites like spareroom.co.uk are an excellent starting point and have helped countless people secure their ideal living situation.

The Logistics of Finding a Flat:

In London’s competitive rental market, timing is key. To ensure you have the best selection of options, start your search 1-2 months before your desired move-in date. My flatmates and I searched on various websites including Rightmove, Zoopla, and SpareRoom. Remember to check back often as there will be new listings posted daily, and don’t hesitate to reach out to multiple landlords or tenants since not everyone is responsive.

When it comes to location, LBS’s central and popular position is undoubtedly an advantage. Being close to campus not only reduces your commute time but also allows you to explore the city more conveniently. However, you’ll find accommodation options in various neighbourhoods throughout London, each with its own unique charm.

Other Options:

There are many other living options in London that might be worth looking into, for example:

LBS Student Halls: You can apply for student halls through the University of London. These accommodations offer a vibrant mix of students from different universities, providing a unique opportunity to meet people from various academic backgrounds. However, places for LBS students are limited, so I suggest applying early!

Private Student Accommodation: London has a range of private student accommodations across London that are all-inclusive, offering amenities like concierge services and security. Exploring these options can be a convenient choice for people who may not want to deal with setting up bills, Wi-Fi, and maintenance.

Co-Living Spaces: When considering where to live, I was also looking into co-living spaces like Gravity Co-Living, where you can live and socialize with other professionals. These spaces can be great for networking and building connections outside of LBS. However, personally these were a bit far from campus.

There are countless living options in London depending on what your needs and preferences are. Best of luck!

Written By Elena Fan Hu, MiM 2024
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Discovering the Power of Business Case Methodology: The Art of Discuss [#permalink]
FROM IESE MiM Blog: Discovering the Power of Business Case Methodology: The Art of Discussion
As the MiM cohort of 2024 approaches graduation next June, reflections on their journey reveal a profound correlation between the effort invested throughout the program and the satisfaction derived from it. “I dare say, I’m taking away much more than I anticipated,” remarks one student, encapsulating the sentiment echoed by many. But what exactly is...

Read More

The post Discovering the Power of Business Case Methodology: The Art of Discussion first appeared on The MiM Blog | IESE Business School.
GMAT Club Bot
Discovering the Power of Business Case Methodology: The Art of Discuss [#permalink]
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16 
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts