Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 15:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A company recently stopped adding certain phosphates,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

A company recently stopped adding certain phosphates, [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 14:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

68% (02:07) correct 32% (01:29) wrong based on 31 sessions
A company recently stopped adding certain phosphates, including peroxyphosphates, to its laundry detergents after its CEO read reports that these compounds foster dangerous levels of marine plant growth and thus disrupt nearby marine ecosystems. As a result, the river near this company's factory will not display ecosystem damage caused by phosphates in the laundry detergents the company produces.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) Apart from phosphates, there are no other compounds commonly present in laundry detergents that would disrupt marine ecosystems. your answer

(B) Not all phosphates contribute to marine ecosystem damage.

(C) Phosphates in amounts large enough to disrupt marine ecosystems in the nearby river are not naturally present in the laundry detergents the company produces. correct

(D) This laundry detergent producing company has been able to duplicate the bleaching effect produced by peroxyphosphates through means that do not involve adding any environmentally damaging substances.

(E) Laundry detergents are the only products made by the company to which phosphates are added.

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.

If you like my explanations award kudos.

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 21

Re: Peroxyphosphates [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 08:15
puneetj wrote:
A company recently stopped adding certain phosphates, including peroxyphosphates, to its laundry detergents after its CEO read reports that these compounds foster dangerous levels of marine plant growth and thus disrupt nearby marine ecosystems. As a result, the river near this company's factory will not display ecosystem damage caused by phosphates in the laundry detergents the company produces.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) Apart from phosphates, there are no other compounds commonly present in laundry detergents that would disrupt marine ecosystems. your answer

(B) Not all phosphates contribute to marine ecosystem damage.

(C) Phosphates in amounts large enough to disrupt marine ecosystems in the nearby river are not naturally present in the laundry detergents the company produces. correct

(D) This laundry detergent producing company has been able to duplicate the bleaching effect produced by peroxyphosphates through means that do not involve adding any environmentally damaging substances.

(E) Laundry detergents are the only products made by the company to which phosphates are added.

(A) cannot be the answer as the conclusion is talking about the damage caused by phosphates only.C is the answer because, if Phosphates is already naturally present in the laundry detergent then addition or no addition of phosphates will not have any effect on ecosystem.(In assumption type if option iself and negation of the option,give opposite result then that option is the answer.)

Consider KUDOS if You find it good

Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Peroxyphosphates [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 18:32
I would go for A .
Reason : The author assumes that since these ecosystem damaging phosphate has been removed
there will no ecosystem damage caused as there are no other compounds commonly present in laundry detergents that would disrupt marine ecosystems!!!

"As a result, the river near this company's factory will not display ecosystem damage caused by phosphates in the laundry detergents the company produces "
Current Student
Status: If u've ego, u've reached ur limit; if ur humble u've no limit.
Affiliations: IIT
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 30

Re: Peroxyphosphates [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 16:46
atnt444 wrote:
I would go for A .
Reason : The author assumes that since these ecosystem damaging phosphate has been removed
there will no ecosystem damage caused as there are no other compounds commonly present in laundry detergents that would disrupt marine ecosystems!!!

"As a result, the river near this company's factory will not display ecosystem damage caused by phosphates in the laundry detergents the company produces "

" the river near this company's factory will not display ecosystem damage caused by phosphates in the laundry detergents "

this is why A or E is not possible; the conclusion talks only about ecosystem damage caused by phosphates in the laundary.

--Syed
" Some are desperate for success, and therefore destined for it."

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: A company recently stopped adding certain phosphates, [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 01:08
the main point here is "added". The company added phosphate ......... so if they remove the addition ..... then no damage.

hece, the assumption here is that large amount of phosphate can only cause damage.

+1 for C
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A company recently stopped adding certain phosphates, [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 06:12
+ 1 for C

(C) Phosphates in amounts large enough to disrupt marine ecosystems in the nearby river are not naturally present in the laundry detergents the company produces.

Negate this answer choice
If phosphates disrupt marine ecosystems in nearby river are naturally, the river still be damaged by these amount of phosphates => weaken the argument.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: A company recently stopped adding certain phosphates, [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 01:32
C for me
Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 16

Re: A company recently stopped adding certain phosphates, [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 04:59
From the Stimulus read the word "Certain" phosphates, it says only some of the phosphates and not all phosphates, But in Option A you are completely ignoring phosphates....

So the answer is C

Hope this clarifies.

+1 Kudos if my post is valuable

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: A company recently stopped adding certain phosphates, [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 21:17
C it is Because company's effort will pave the way only when there are no other factors which may cause the same which it is trying to stop.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 460 Q35 V20
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: A company recently stopped adding certain phosphates, [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 01:04
When you add a question pls do not say " correct " or in correct. It naturally skews the thinking.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 520 Q42 V19
GMAT 2: 540 Q44 V21
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 22

Re: A company recently stopped adding certain phosphates, [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 02:30
Between A & C

A is wrong because conclusion is talking about danger only from phosphates.
But C is correct.

The proof of understanding is the ability to explain it.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.45
WE: Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 41

Re: A company recently stopped adding certain phosphates, [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 02:45
This post received
KUDOS
A for me also.

And there is no official answer provided, can we have the source of this question?

Official explaination is even better!

Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A company recently stopped adding certain phosphates, [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 04:31
This post received
KUDOS
pratikbais wrote:
A for me also.

And there is no official answer provided, can we have the source of this question?

Thanks.

The answer is C for me.

It can't be A because the last sentence of the stimulus says "As a result, the river near this company's factory will not display ecosystem damage caused by phosphates in the laundry detergents the company produces."
So we could go with opposite of A and the argument would still hold. For instance, we could say there are other compounds (say chlorides) in the detergent that would cause ecosystem damage. Yet the last statement would still hold: we are looking out for "ecosystem damage caused by phosphates", not "ecosystem damage caused by chlorides."So we are still good as this is not a necessary assumption for that last statement to hold.

As per E, we can negate that as well and still uphold the last statement of the stimulus: If we assume the company produces pesticides, say, to which phosphates are also added, we could still say "company's factory will not display ecosystem damage caused by phosphates in the laundry detergents (not pesticides!) the company produces"

But for C, if we assume it is a necessary assumption, i.e. even though the factory stops adding phosphates, the naturally occurring phosphates in the detergent are large enough to still cause the pollution. So this is 100% a necessary assumption. Hence C is the answer
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.45
WE: Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 41

Re: A company recently stopped adding certain phosphates, [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2012, 08:37
This post received
KUDOS
tunrayo wrote:
pratikbais wrote:
A for me also.

Thanks.

The answer is C for me.

It can't be A because the last sentence of the stimulus says "As a result, the river near this company's factory will not display ecosystem damage caused by phosphates in the laundry detergents the company produces."
So we could go with opposite of A and the argument would still hold. For instance, we could say there are other compounds (say chlorides) in the detergent that would cause ecosystem damage. Yet the last statement would still hold: we are looking out for "ecosystem damage caused by phosphates", not "ecosystem damage caused by chlorides."So we are still good as this is not a necessary assumption for that last statement to hold.

As per E, we can negate that as well and still uphold the last statement of the stimulus: If we assume the company produces pesticides, say, to which phosphates are also added, we could still say "company's factory will not display ecosystem damage caused by phosphates in the laundry detergents (not pesticides!) the company produces"

But for C, if we assume it is a necessary assumption, i.e. even though the factory stops adding phosphates, the naturally occurring phosphates in the detergent are large enough to still cause the pollution. So this is 100% a necessary assumption. Hence C is the answer

Ok yeah I agree, thanks for the detailed explaination, appreciate!!
Re: A company recently stopped adding certain phosphates,   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2012, 08:37