Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Dec 2014, 05:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2010, 00:22
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

54% (01:37) correct 46% (00:27) wrong based on 66 sessions
A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior displayed by some teenagers who play several hours of video games a day is due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain rather than the absorption of any specifically violent content.

* is due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain
* are due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain
* is due to damage to the developmental frontal lobe region of the brain
* are due to developmental damages to the brain’s frontal lobe
* is due to developmental damages to the brain’s frontal lobe region

I'll post the OA after the discussion.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by ankurgupta03 on 20 Mar 2014, 07:55, edited 1 time in total.
added the OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Bad effects of video games [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2010, 02:18
Its not correct. Actually I eliminated C easily.
As C lacks parallelism : Damage is not parallel to absorption
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 13

Re: Bad effects of video games [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2010, 12:40
This doesnt look like a GMAT question.

I would pick E.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Bad effects of video games [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2010, 12:48
I also doubt about the validity of the question. For me both A & E are equally OK. But the OA is A.
(It is GMAT Club Test question ) I personally find some of the question there is credulous
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 30

Re: Bad effects of video games [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 12:08
angel2009 wrote:
I also doubt about the validity of the question. For me both A & E are equally OK. But the OA is A.
(It is GMAT Club Test question ) I personally find some of the question there is credulous

I dont see any visible difference between A and E

If its a gmatclub test question, isnt the explanation available?

If you like my post, consider giving me a kudos. THANKS!

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 6

Re: Bad effects of video games [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 07:51
I was also torn between A and E. Finally picked (A) but I could not find any reason for (E) to be wrong either.

Would be interested in knowing if anyone has reasoning for (E).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 51

Re: A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 21:36
can anyone please tell why " the frontal lobe region of the brain " is preferred to "the brain’s frontal lobe region".
The shortlisted options are A and E.

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 121

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 09:08
A and E are the same... I also don't see any meaningful difference between them.

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 320

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2013, 11:03
saikarthikreddy wrote:
can anyone please tell why " the frontal lobe region of the brain " is preferred to "the brain’s frontal lobe region".

Indeed , I don't get the difference.However, I would prefer E over A as far as precision is concerned.

Rgds,
TGC!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE: Education (Education)

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 3

Re: A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 14:08
I see one reason for the usage to be deemed faulty.

"brain's frontal lobe region"- In this usage, "brain's" is a possessive form. However, it would refer to the frontal lobe. So the frontal lobe belongs to the brain. However, the word region is not linked to the rest of the sentence.

Hope that helps!

targetgmatchotu wrote:
saikarthikreddy wrote:

Indeed , I don't get the difference.However, I would prefer E over A as far as precision is concerned.

Thanks
Kris
Instructor at Aspire4GMAT

Visit us at http://www.aspire4gmat.com

Post your queries
Join our free GMAT course

New blog: How to get that 700+
New blog: Data Sufficiency Tricks

Press Kudos if this helps!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 78 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 15:54
Option B and D are eliminated as verb are is incorrect usage.

A) is due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain
C) is due to damage to the developmental frontal lobe region of the brain
E) is due to developmental damages to the brain’s frontal lobe region

I would eliminate E because, frontal lobe region of the brain is more correct than the brain's frontal lobe region.

I am confused. what is difference between developmental damage to the frontal lobe and damage to the developmental frontal lobe ?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 24

Re: A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 21:31
This post received
KUDOS
A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior displayed by some teenagers who play several hours of video games a day is due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain rather than the absorption of any specifically violent content.

Singular subject is "the violent behavior"

* is due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain - correct
* are due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain - "are" is plural and subject is singular
* is due to damage to the developmental frontal lobe region of the brain - the frontal lobe is not "developmental"
* are due to developmental damages to the brain’s frontal lobe - "are" is plural and subject is singular
* is due to developmental damages to the brain’s frontal lobe region - "damages" doesn't make sense because we are not referring to multiple damages
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 268

Kudos [?]: 1082 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 22:55
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
umeshpatil wrote:
Option B and D are eliminated as verb are is incorrect usage.

A) is due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain
C) is due to damage to the developmental frontal lobe region of the brain
E) is due to developmental damages to the brain’s frontal lobe region

I would eliminate E because, frontal lobe region of the brain is more correct than the brain's frontal lobe region.

I am confused. what is difference between developmental damage to the frontal lobe and damage to the developmental frontal lobe ?

Hi umeshpatil,

Quote:

In fact both are correct, but "frontal lobe region of the brain" would be better than "the brain's frontal lobe region"

(E) is incorrect because the original sentence says "damage" and (E) says damages.

Quote:

the adjective "damage" is modifying different nouns in these phrases.

"developmental damage": "damage" is being modified by "developmental"; it means that the damage is developmental.

"damage to the developmental frontal lobe": Here the frontal lobe is developing, i.e. the frontal lobe is developmental.

The difference is small and (A) and (C) are really close answer choices. Grammatically both are correct and meaning wise also both would be similar. But, (A) preserves what the sentence wants to say, therefore you have to go with (A) on this one. In actual GMAT it is a rare possibility that you will find such close answer choices.

In fact the term "developmental damage" is frequently used term by doctors, see the definition below.

Developmental Damage: A term that some therapists prefer to personality disorder, on the grounds that it is more respectful of the patient's capacity for growth and change.

So,taking this definition into picture, contextually, if we change "developmental damage" to "developmental frontal lobe", the meaning change would be significant.

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 5

CAT Tests
Re: A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior [#permalink] New post 25 May 2013, 09:40
Accident double post - please delete me

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Last edited by mejia401 on 25 May 2013, 09:45, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 5

CAT Tests
Re: A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior [#permalink] New post 25 May 2013, 09:41
For sh*ts and giggles, I still think "C" is a better answer because more people associate a brain of a violent teenager having "lower abilities of decision-making" than teenagers experiencing "developmental damage." What does the developmental damage refer to? Also, developmental damage - damage in the process of developing - is confusing to understand. Does the damage develop, like a disease?

Frontal lobes are "positioned at the frontmost region of the cerebral cortex and are involved in movement, decision-making, problem solving, and planning." Since frontal lobes are involved in decision-making, it's better to say teenagers who engage in violent behaviour certainly do not have fully developed decision-making abilities, i.e. damage to the developmental frontal lobe. "C" prevails for me.
http://biology.about.com/od/anatomy/p/Frontal-Lobes.htm

Also, the study does not specify whose study it was.

Well now I'm wasting my time.. but getting this SC wrong really p*ssed me off! LOL

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Last edited by mejia401 on 25 May 2013, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
WE: Sales (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Re: A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior [#permalink] New post 25 May 2013, 10:18
(A) it is

I think (E) uses damages which is plural and not parallel and does not go well with absorption....

I think (C) is confusing, yet does seem to change the meaning of what the author is trying to say
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 130

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2014, 13:46
Vercules wrote:

In fact both are correct, but "frontal lobe region of the brain" would be better than "the brain's frontal lobe region"

(E) is incorrect because the original sentence says "damage" and (E) says damages.

Vercules

So what is wrong with damages anyway..there is nothing specified about the plurality of the damages nor can it be deciphered from the question anyways..
So both should be correct

is due to developmental damages to the brain’s frontal lobe region
is due to developmental damage to the frontal lobe region of the brain

Infact I ended up wrong by choosing E based on concision. :wall

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all
Don't let an extra chromosome get you down..:P

Re: A controversial study suggests that the violent behavior   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2014, 13:46