Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 06:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Although it s a common perception that philosophy has no

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Although it s a common perception that philosophy has no [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2009, 07:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

63% (02:06) correct 37% (01:22) wrong based on 118 sessions
11. Although it’s a common perception that philosophy has no practical application to the real world, history suggests otherwise. In fact, the word “philosophy” itself derives from the Greek roots philos, meaning “love”, and sophos, which means “wisdom”. Taken together, the word “philosophy” literally means “love of wisdom.”

The bolded phrases play which of the following roles in the argument above?

The first phrase states the conclusion and the second phrase offers support for that conclusion.
The first phrase introduces evidence supporting a conclusion, and the second phrase contains that evidence.
The first phrase contains an objection to a common perception, and the second phrase offers support for that objection.
The first phrase states a premise on which the conclusion is based, and the second phrase offers a supporting definition.
The first phrase defines a word crucial to the argument, and the second phrase states the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cr - Boldface [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2009, 16:46
"D"
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 4

Re: Cr - Boldface [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 01:13
IEsailor wrote:
11. Although it’s a common perception that philosophy has no practical application to the real world, history suggests otherwise. In fact, the word “philosophy” itself derives from the Greek roots philos, meaning “love”, and sophos, which means “wisdom”. Taken together, the word “philosophy” literally means “love of wisdom.”

The first phrase states the conclusion and the second phrase offers support for that conclusion.
The first phrase introduces evidence supporting a conclusion, and the second phrase contains that evidence.
The first phrase contains an objection to a common perception, and the second phrase offers support for that objection.
The first phrase states a premise on which the conclusion is based, and the second phrase offers a supporting definition.
The first phrase defines a word crucial to the argument, and the second phrase states the conclusion.

Choose C here.

First contains objection - history suggests otherwise. Second supports that objection.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Kellogg, Duke (Health care management)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Cr - Boldface [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 02:20
I choose C.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Cr - Boldface [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 05:35
D IMO.OA pls.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cr - Boldface [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 05:47
C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cr - Boldface [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 06:53
I think it's C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cr - Boldface [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 12:06
OA is C
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cr - Boldface [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2009, 13:00
IMO C.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, HBS, INSEAD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Cr - Boldface [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2009, 23:34
C would be my guess.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: Cr - Boldface [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 14:03
what is the conclusion in the above arguement?
If its "history suggests otherwise" then A can be considered as a better option as second bold faced statement seems to support the first bold faced statement, which might be the conclusion.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Cr - Boldface [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 09:11
C
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cr - Boldface [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2011, 19:12
+1 for C.

A and C were the two strong contenders. C won because it used "common perception". which is how the argument introduces the conclusion.

Crick
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 31

Re: Although it s a common perception that philosophy has no [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 14:46
My vote is for C.

In my opinion, the author does not draw any conclusion from this argument. He is making an opinion and supporting that opinion with a defenition
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Although it s a common perception that philosophy has no [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 20:38
I also choose C, and I found no conclusion in this argument, IMO

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Although it s a common perception that philosophy has no [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 22:34
IEsailor wrote:

I chose C but I think both the statements are so tangential to each other that it's hard to justify And provide reasoning as to why I chose this option. Really don't understand how the second statement " the word “philosophy” literally means “love of wisdom.” " offers support for " history suggests otherwise" can anyone please explain?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 15

Re: Although it s a common perception that philosophy has no [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 00:25
sandgob wrote:
IEsailor wrote:

I chose C but I think both the statements are so tangential to each other that it's hard to justify And provide reasoning as to why I chose this option. Really don't understand how the second statement " the word “philosophy” literally means “love of wisdom.” " offers support for " history suggests otherwise" can anyone please explain?

As discussed earlier there is no conclusion in the argument. C is a major contender here because ' the first phrase contains an objection' is pretty straight forward to identify, even though the etymology of philosophy may not necessarily be a supporting point to the objection it is definitely a base or a beginning for the argument that ensues! thats' what helped me get the answer. hope that helped.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Although it s a common perception that philosophy has no [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 02:27
shreya717 wrote:

As discussed earlier there is no conclusion in the argument. C is a major contender here because ' the first phrase contains an objection' is pretty straight forward to identify, even though the etymology of philosophy may not necessarily be a supporting point to the objection it is definitely a base or a beginning for the argument that ensues! thats' what helped me get the answer. hope that helped.

rite.. i hope i don't get questions like these in the actual GMAT. Thanks buddy :)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

Re: Although it s a common perception that philosophy has no [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 08:08

Suggests otherwise - The first phrase contains an objection to a common perception,

"Love of Wisdom" - and the second phrase offers support for that objection.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

Re: Although it s a common perception that philosophy has no [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 08:08

Suggests otherwise - The first phrase contains an objection to a common perception,

"Love of Wisdom" - and the second phrase offers support for that objection.

So C it is
Re: Although it s a common perception that philosophy has no   [#permalink] 20 May 2012, 08:08