Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 23:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

arithmetic

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2009
Posts: 81
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

arithmetic [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 13:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

58% (02:47) correct 42% (00:44) wrong based on 11 sessions
1. Of the teams competing in the world archery championships, twenty percent are from Europe. Half as many are from the United States and one twentieth are from Africa. What fraction of teams are from neither Europe, the US or Africa.


A ) 13/20
B ) 15/20
C ) 13/15
D ) 17/20
E ) 13/17
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Aug 2009
Posts: 123
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 91 [1] , given: 13

Re: arithmetic [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 20:14
1
This post received
KUDOS
virtualanimosity wrote:
1. Of the teams competing in the world archery championships, twenty percent are from Europe. Half as many are from the United States and one twentieth are from Africa. What fraction of teams are from neither Europe, the US or Africa.


A ) 13/20
B ) 15/20
C ) 13/15
D ) 17/20
E ) 13/17


Half as many means half of EU, then

EU 20%
US 10%
AF 5%

the rest is 65%, answer A
_________________

Kudos me if my reply helps!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 126
Location: India
Schools: NUS, NTU, SMU, AGSM, Melbourne School of Business
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 12

Re: arithmetic [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 22:48
flyingbunny wrote:
virtualanimosity wrote:
1. Of the teams competing in the world archery championships, twenty percent are from Europe. Half as many are from the United States and one twentieth are from Africa. What fraction of teams are from neither Europe, the US or Africa.


A ) 13/20
B ) 15/20
C ) 13/15
D ) 17/20
E ) 13/17


Half as many means half of EU, then

EU 20%
US 10%
AF 5%

the rest is 65%, answer A


One Question.
How could we determine "Half as many" are of EU only. I mean I took it as half of the total teams in the event. Though the answer that I got is not on the list. But still, if someone could put some light on it.
_________________

GMAT offended me. Now, its my turn!
Will do anything for Kudos! Please feel free to give one. :)

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 09 Aug 2009
Posts: 56
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: arithmetic [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2009, 22:57
bhanushalinikhil wrote:
flyingbunny wrote:
virtualanimosity wrote:
1. Of the teams competing in the world archery championships, twenty percent are from Europe. Half as many are from the United States and one twentieth are from Africa. What fraction of teams are from neither Europe, the US or Africa.


A ) 13/20
B ) 15/20
C ) 13/15
D ) 17/20
E ) 13/17


Half as many means half of EU, then

EU 20%
US 10%
AF 5%

the rest is 65%, answer A


One Question.
How could we determine "Half as many" are of EU only. I mean I took it as half of the total teams in the event. Though the answer that I got is not on the list. But still, if someone could put some light on it.


Ya we can't take half as many of EU.
Assume X as total then
EU=0.2X and US=0.5X and AF=0.05X
EU+US+AF+other = 1X
0.2X+0.5X+0.05X+other =1X
other = 0.25X

/Prabu
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2010
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: arithmetic [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2011, 20:13
Assume 100 total people.

20% of 100 = 20 --->Europeans
1/2 of 20 ---> 10 Americans
1/20 of 100 ---> 5 Africans

Now you would add them all up, and minus it by the total (100). 100 - 35= 65. So, 65 people out of 100 are not EU, US or Africans. 65/100 is also equal to 13/20.

So therefore, the answer is A.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 95
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: arithmetic [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2011, 20:39
this question is not clearly. half of as many... ?
as many of what? :(
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2010
Posts: 56
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: arithmetic [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2011, 00:13
+1 for A

I understood half of EU.

It works by plugging numbers EU=20 US=10 and Africa=5
Re: arithmetic   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2011, 00:13
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Arithmetic virtualanimosity 4 06 Nov 2009, 05:30
Arithmetic gmatraj 2 10 Sep 2009, 02:15
Arithmetic virtualanimosity 1 09 Sep 2009, 13:02
Arithmetic gmatraj 4 12 Jul 2009, 05:58
Arithmetic shehreenquayyum 1 29 Jul 2006, 12:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

arithmetic

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.