Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 07:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ask IMD Admissions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: 2170 Q800 V700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2012, 11:37
thanks for this Mark. i will contact them as mentioned.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Seekin info about career oportunities after MBA from IMD [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 20:05
Hi,

I am currently in the process of choosing B schools .

I am interested in applying to IMD , and would greatly appreciate if you could help answer the following:

1. Since IMD offers a 11 month MBA program ( w/o internship), is IMD a good choice for students looking for a career switch after MBA? Or is the 11 month MBA program from IMD more suitable for students who have a very clear goal from what they want after the MBA and/or are mostly looking to continue with growing in their current career? I ask this question since this is true for most schools with 1 year MBA programs in US.

2. If the answer to 1 is yes, then can you please provide more details about how after a MBA from the IMD , one can get a career change despite lack of internship program . Good networking and personal commitment by the student is taken since it would be common for any program. What was the percentage of IMD MBA students in 2011-2012 who made a career switch?

3. Are the major percentage of placements in Europe? What has been the average percentage of US placements from recent past IMD MBA batches?

Thanks very much for your time !
Official Business School Representative
Status: The IMD MBA - 90 exceptional people who will shape the future of business
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2012, 05:31
Dear jls,

Thank you for your questions regarding Career Services. A number of people have questions about this topic.
We have planned an online chat next week with our Career Services Director. You can sign-up here.

We are also preparing a webinar, which will be available in May, I’ll post the link when it's available.

Quote:
1. Since IMD offers a 11 month MBA program ( w/o internship), is IMD a good choice for students looking for a career switch after MBA? Or is the 11 month MBA program from IMD more suitable for students who have a very clear goal from what they want after the MBA and/or are mostly looking to continue with growing in their current career? I ask this question since this is true for most schools with 1 year MBA programs in US.

Students in our full-time MBA look for a career change. Typically, 96% of our graduates change geography, industry and/or function. Those who want progression in their current position are better off doing an executive MBA (part-time or online) than a full-time MBA.

As our MBA program covers the same content as a two year US program, there is no time for an internship. Instead, we have the “International Consulting Projects (ICPs)” which are real-world consulting projects with multinational companies. I recommend you read this article "Internships leave a little too much to chance" by Financial Times.

Quote:
2. If the answer to 1 is yes, then can you please provide more details about how after a MBA from the IMD , one can get a career change despite lack of internship program . Good networking and personal commitment by the student is taken since it would be common for any program. What was the percentage of IMD MBA students in 2011-2012 who made a career switch?

It is a wrong assumption to think that an internship will guarantee a career change. As mentioned above, almost all our students change career after graduation – around 96%.

When comparing business schools, it’s important to look at what the Career Services has to offer. This will make the difference. Getting a good job after graduation will require:
- Joint team effort between Career Services and you
- Take OWNERSHIP
- Start early
- Network, network and network

Quote:
3. Are the major percentage of placements in Europe? What has been the average percentage of US placements from recent past IMD MBA batches?

Between 50%-75% stay in Europe, we are seeing an increase in Asia, the Middle East and the BRIC countries. US is low.

Let me know if you have any further questions, and please do join our chat with our Career Services Director.

Best regards,

Mark

The IMD MBA
Tel: +41 (0)21 618 0298
Email: mbainfo(at)imd.ch

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 05:17
Hi Mark,

I have few questions.
1. Is there a particular order in which IMD starts calling applicants for interview? I mean depending on the submission date, or the region wise, or starting with the accepted and then rejected.
2. If someone has genuine ( provable) reasons, can IMD inform the decision about selection for interview after 3 weeks from the deadline?
3. That IMD has 2 assessment days in Asia, 25th and 27th May, does that mean Asian applicant won't hear about the results before 2nd week of the May?
4. Can Asian applicants, particularly those from Singapore and HK, from round 2 will get a chance to have an assessment at IMD campus?
Status: The IMD MBA - 90 exceptional people who will shape the future of business

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 06:51
Hello Makstory7

Quote:
1. Is there a particular order in which IMD starts calling applicants for interview? I mean depending on the submission date, or the region wise, or starting with the accepted and then rejected.

There is no order in which we start reading the files or in which we start providing answers.
We start reading applications after the deadline. Each file is read twice, by two separate readers. All our readers are external to guarantee a fair treatment and to avoid any influence. This process takes us between 3 to 6 weeks (it depends on our readers and the amount of applications).

Quote:
2. If someone has genuine ( provable) reasons, can IMD inform the decision about selection for interview after 3 weeks from the deadline?

No, as each application file goes through the same process, there is no special treatment.

Quote:
3. That IMD has 2 assessment days in Asia, 25th and 27th May, does that mean Asian applicant won't hear about the results before 2nd week of the May?

The second week in May is the latest we will provide an answer. The location of the assessment day has no influence on when you will get an answer.

Quote:
4. Can Asian applicants, particularly those from Singapore and HK, from round 2 will get a chance to have an assessment at IMD campus?

For those based in or near Singapore or Hong Kong, we will offer the possibility to interview there but if you prefer to come to the IMD campus, you can. FYI: to interview in Singapore or Hong Kong you must apply for the February or the April deadline.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Mark

The IMD MBA

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 03:37
Hi Everyone,

Two weeks ago, I mentioned we were working on a Career Services webinar. Good news! The webinar is ready!
This on-demand webinar is done in collaboration with The Economist "Which MBA?" and is available on their website. It covers all the latest career placement trends and how Career Services will help you unlock your dream position.

Watch the webinar: Career and International Mobility

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! Thanks,

Best regards,

Mark

The IMD MBA

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 12:37
Hello ,

I want to pursue a 1-year Full time MBA. The goal is to climb up the corporate ladder. I am doing well in my job but I think a MBA from a reputed school will help achieve my dreams of becoming an executive in a Fortune 10 company. Iam interested in IMD, INSEAD and the 1 year program at Kellogg. Please evaluate my profile. Thanks for your help.

GMAT: 650 Q48, V32
Female, 35 Years old
Citizenship: India, Living in US since 2003
Educational Background: Bachelors in Electronics and Communication, India
Masters in Electrical and Computer Engineering, US
(Recipient of full scholarship for the 2 year Master of Science program.)

Work Experience: 12 Years in Semiconductor and Automotive Industry.
Job Profiles: Software Engineer, Supplier and Sub-contract Manager, Project Manager, Program Manager.

Work Experience Details:
2000-2003
-- Worked as a software and design engineer in leading Semiconductor Company.
2003-2005
-- Worked as a graduate research assistant while pursuing my Masters.
2005 -2011
-- After my graduation I started working with a leading Tier-1 Automotive supplier. In the six years with the company I progressed from a lead Engineer to Supplier and Sub-Contract Manager to Project Manager.
2011- Current
-- Working as a Program Manager for a leading American Car Manufacturer.

-- International experience:
- Two expat assignments to Germany and India.
- Travelled extensively on work to Europe and Asia.
- Worked very closely with internal teams and suppliers based out of China, Mexico, India, Poland, Germany, Sweden, Finland, Korea and Japan.

-- Extra Curricular:
- Mentor at the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.
- Volunteer at Akshara, a Literacy mission.
- Volunteer at the Indy 500 Marathon.
- Tutoring underprivileged kids.
- Volunteer at Gleaners Food bank and Soup kitchen.

Thanks for reading. Your inputs, feedback and suggestions will be highly appreciated.
-YogaGirl

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 01:57
Dear YogaGirl,

Regarding profile assessment, I encourage you to use our "Assess Your Chances" form, which is designed for people who are unsure if their profile matches our program. This form is handled by our admissions team who will get back to you with an answer.

Assess Your Chances: http://link.imd.org/MBA_AYC

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you.

Mark

The IMD MBA

Intern
Intern
Schools: IMD '16

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Question on Career Progression [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 03:10
hello! I am currently working through my application, and I know that you have a focus on showing career progression. I was wondering if you would look at significant salary increases over the course of my career as a representation of career progression? [for example, my current salary is more than triple my salary when I first started my career 6 years ago]

Or is it more advisable that I address my career progression more directly in the essays?

Thanks in advance for any help

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 00:14
Hi!

We evaluate career progression different ways, salary increase being one of them. We need to get a feel that your career has evolved throughout the years. If in your resume, salary increase is the only element, then use one of the essays to talk about your career.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks,

Mark

The IMD MBA

Intern
Intern
Schools: IMD '16

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 18 May 2012, 05:36
Thank you for that quick response

I do have another question about timing. I am applying in the June 1 deadline, but I will be traveling from June 22 - August 6. It is probably premature to to be worried about getting a callback, but during that period I will not have access to my standard telephone number (the one I will be listing in my application).

Assuming that I cannot be reached by phone, will IMD contact me via email instead? Or would it be appropriate to provide an alternate contact number for that travel period (if so, where in the application would you I include this?)

Thanks for the guidance, much appreciated.

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 20 May 2012, 22:56
Hello,

You can add this in the last essay "Additional information”. Put the dates and how you like to be contacted. Thanks.

Mark

The IMD MBA

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 05-31-2012

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 08:12
Dear IMD
Good to see you here !
I have emailed to you today my functional CV and other relevant information requesting for a topline assessment before I make the online application.
Look forward to your kind feedback.
Thank you in advance.
best regards
Shailey

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 23:41
Dear Shailey,

We confirm receipt of your email and thank you for your interest. For profile evaluation, we encourage you to use our "Assess Your Chances" form. This is a free of charge mini application which will allow us to provide you with a feedback: http://link.imd.org/MBA_AYC

One of my colleagues will also be answering you email. Please feel free to contact us should you have any questions. Thanks you.

Best regards,

Mark

The IMD MBA

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2012, 07:24
Hi,

I several times tried to use "Assess Your Chances" form but it constantly shows error saying that I need to fill last section while in reality I did it. Sorry, but I could not find technical support contacts on the web site.
Can you please advise how to proceed?

Thanks

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 05:28
Hello,

It might be because you have over 1000 characters in your last essay. When data is missing, it is highlighted in yellow and there is a cross beside the page number.
If you still have the issue, please send us an email with a printscreen to mbainfo@imd.ch. We'll look into it. Thanks.

Best regards

Mark

The IMD MBA

Current Student
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2012, 09:00
Dear Admission Directors,

This is Rupok from Bangladesh. I'm planning to apply for the IMD SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY SCHOLARSHIP. I would be obliged if you can please get back to me with the answers of the following queries;

# How to send in the scholarship application? Hard copies? the site mentions the following about the process and states that the MBA application process will follow after this scholarship selection process. So can you please confirm if I need to send in only hard copies?

Send the following information by July 15, 2012 to be considered for the IMD MBA program starting in January 2014:
Answer the 5 scholarship essay questions below
Submit your personal information form
Submit your detailed university transcripts
Send 2 signed letters of recommendation
Submit the IMD financial aid application with all supporting documents

# Is bangladesh an emerging country from your perspective? As the scholarship criteria mentions about emerging country residents but doesn't mention specific countries.
# What if I have an MBA already from a Bangladeshi University?
# What about the IMD, MIT Collaboration? is it still operational?
# If I get the social responsibility scholarship, will i be elligible for anohter scholarship?
# How many students are awarded this Social Responsibility Scholarship?

Thank you.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 07:58
Hi.

While filling the application I saw that you consider international experience only if it is greater than two months. I work in a Defense manufacturing company and have been working with foreign multinational firms and have also visited a few companies in Europe and in Korea. However each of these trips have been for a weeks duration. I am afraid that won't qualify to be mentioned in the international experience category?

Thanks

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2012, 06:35
Quote:
Dear Admission Directors,

This is Rupok from Bangladesh. I'm planning to apply for the IMD SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY SCHOLARSHIP. I would be obliged if you can please get back to me with the answers of the following queries;

# How to send in the scholarship application? Hard copies? the site mentions the following about the process and states that the MBA application process will follow after this scholarship selection process. So can you please confirm if I need to send in only hard copies?

Send the following information by July 15, 2012 to be considered for the IMD MBA program starting in January 2014:
Answer the 5 scholarship essay questions below
Submit your personal information form
Submit your detailed university transcripts
Send 2 signed letters of recommendation
Submit the IMD financial aid application with all supporting documents

# Is bangladesh an emerging country from your perspective? As the scholarship criteria mentions about emerging country residents but doesn't mention specific countries.
# If I get the social responsibility scholarship, will i be elligible for anohter scholarship?

Thank you.

Dear Rupok,

You can send all the documents by email to mbafinance@imd.ch, no need to send hard copies.

Quote:
#Is bangladesh an emerging country from your perspective? As the scholarship criteria mentions about emerging country residents but doesn't mention specific countries.

Yes, Bangladesh is considered as a developing country.

Quote:

You will have to explain why you want a second MBA and why from IMD.

Quote:

The partnership with MIT is not related to the MBA program but the Driving Strategic Innovation (DSI) program.

Quote:

If you get the social responsibility scholarship you cannot be elligible for another scholarship. You will have to apply for a bank loan.

Quote:

One social responsibility scholarship is available.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Mark

The IMD MBA

Re: Ask IMD Admissions [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2012, 06:37
Quote:
While filling the application I saw that you consider international experience only if it is greater than two months. I work in a Defense manufacturing company and have been working with foreign multinational firms and have also visited a few companies in Europe and in Korea. However each of these trips have been for a weeks duration. I am afraid that won't qualify to be mentioned in the international experience category?

Hi,

If you have not lived outside of your home country, you can still apply providing you show us that you have had international experience in your career. In your case, you will have to write about about your trips to Europe and Korea, and explain what you did. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks.

Best regards,

Mark

The IMD MBA