I just wanted to discuss something about the different question type, because a lot of books use different way to categorize them:
1) The syllogism question: premise+assumption= ccl, 65% of the GMAT's CR
- Strenghens (find the assumption)
- Weakens (find the assumption)
- Inference (find the conclusion)
2) Explain the paradox
3) Mimmic the reasoning
5) Would you categorize the following question type apart, to they fall in the syllogysm category (above 1)? I have seen those category, in presentation, textbooks or flashcards
- "complete the reasoning" ? or is it an inference question?
- "assumption"? is it weaken or strenghen question?
- "Except" question"?
Because i would like to have a clear structure in my head, and be able to know quickly what is asked in the question stem...
Thanks in advance!
Assumptions are very similar to the strengthen/weaken questions.
Take the following example:
Sarah is on the track&field team. Sarah must be fast.
The assumption here is "All members on the t&f team are fast".
If that assumption was true, it would strengthen the argument.
If that assumption was false, it would weaken the argument.
Strengthen/Weaken and Assumption Questions are to a certain extent different sides of the same coin.